“Good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Suleymaniye Hamam

Suleymaniye Hamam
Mimar Sinan Cad. No:20 | Suleymaniye / Istanbul - Turkey (Old City), Istanbul 34460, Turkey
+90 212 520 3410
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 107 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suleymaniye Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath that continues to operate today. The building, commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Turkish architect Mimar Sinan, was built in 1557. It features dramatic archways and domes and is decorated with elaborate marble inlay. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where men and women bathe together. 40 Euro per person.
“Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I looked hamams in Istanbul this was only for couples and families. And we been here in afternoon. They give us info when we are entering hammam. Then we take off our clothes and they give us bra short and towel. And then we went to inside of hammam and we waited in steam room 30 minutes and theycame us make massage and peeling massage was classical massage with soap it was little short about ten minutes total with peeling different experience. And staffs are very polite and friendly. And masseurs job is really hard they re working 40 Celsius every day

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Great experience for couples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is the only couples haman in the area, I think it was a lovely experience to share.
The haman is located in a nice area next to the Suleymaniye mosque. We were given clothes to change into and a small room, with a lock, where we could change and then keep our belongings.
We were taken to the steam room, which was very clean and quiet. After about forty minuits, we were taken to a separate area in the steam room, we were scrubbed and then washed and massaged for about 20 minuits. Afterwards we were wrapped in traditional towels and were given the option of buying drinks in a different, quiet, cooler area.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
While I found the experience very relaxing and I came away feeling cleansed, I wouldn't recommend this for younger people or people of sensitive nature. The massage is quite vigorous and the masseurs will not be shy about massaging your stomachs, bottoms or inner thighs. However, I found them highly professional.
I would also recommend going early for a quieter experience, we went at 10 am and the experience was better for it.

Vienna, Austria
“WOMEN: STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

There are tourists only (possibly because it is mixed). This is a classical place where tourists pay a lot for little value. It is like mass processing. There are only male masseurs, and at least one of them crosses the limit of what's acceptable. My masseur touched me EVERYWHERE, and I strongly recommend WOMEN NOT TO VISIT THIS PLACE! This was a terrible experience!

Helsinki
6 attraction reviews
“You could do better elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is one of the few mixed hamams in Istanbul. Choose this one only if you really really really want to share the experience with your partner - otherwise you can find a lot nicer experience in one of the other hamams. Suleymaniye hamam is quite small and for example lacks the hot water pools that some of the other hamams have. We also found the service rather rude.

Visited March 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“I have never been so relaxed...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Be prepared for long lines, I opted for the package with a massage. Totally worth it. Be prepared to budget a whole evening on this place. Despite the fact it was over run with tourists, it was a really great experience.

check out my review