“Rushed and disorganised” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #252 of 380 activities in Istanbul
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Rushed and disorganised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We went on two tours in Istanbul recently - to see the old town sights. Really the only reason was to avoid the queues for the sights, but on reflection it wasn't worth the steep €35 charge for each 1/2 day tour. On pick up we were taken to a holding area where all the feeder coaches met and people were allocated to their tours. This was horribly disorganised and took over an hour, with very little information. Consequently we had very little time at each attraction, and on both occasions the guides were not good at communicating or keeping the group together, which wasted more time.

We were lied to by the guide, who said that the grand bazaar was closed on mayday, and were taken to a local shop. However once we finished in the shop, we were told that the bazaar had just opened and so we could go - thankfully we were on the 1/2 day tour, so had plenty of time to explore the bazaar at our leisure, but the people on the 1/2 day tour would have missed it. We subsequently found out that the bazaar had been open all day.

So I would recommend to anybody not to think carefully about taking a tour with this company, and would certainly advise NOT taking the full day city tour.

Visited May 2013

Australind, Australia
“Truly A Memorable Custom Vacation To Turkey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

To be frank I expected by turkey trip to be just wonderful, but Turkey Travel Center made it wonderful for me! They made hotel placements at perfect locations and assured that the transfers were safe. On my trip to turkey, I wanted me and my family to really feel the Turkish culture and this travel agency helped me achieve this goal perfectly.
What were the most enjoyable moments of my Turkey trip?
Most enjoyable part of the entire trip were the unforgettable memories that we made. My family had a wonderful time at Santorini, Athens and not to forget Greek Islands of Mykonos. Istanbul was the place that made a special place in the heart of my husband. He has become a fan of the rich architecture and culture of this city.
If I get a chance to visit Turkey again, I would certainly book Turkey Travel Center and ask them to plan a long and fun filled travel itinerary for me.
I can't say enough about the service of this company! I am so happy that I booked everything through them!

Visited May 2011
20852
“The tour guide didn't say a word about sights during the full day tour”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We took the 07 - PRINCES’ ISLANDS tour for two adults (65 Euros each).

Gray Line Turkey, which bills itself as 'the leading day tour company' and warns that there are copycats out there(LOL) was a horrible letdown. We wanted basic info, insights and tidbits about the sights we saw. However we got nothing of that sort. The guide was utterly disinterested in being a guide, and said nothing substantive at all (below I'll tell you the only sentences the guide uttered all day.)

For this tour, the brochure (and the website) say:
"You’ll have plenty of free time for leisure and shopping before our evening return back to Istanbul."
What happened was that we ate lunch from 1:30pm and were told that we were going to take back the ferry back so get ready by 2:45pm. What happened to the "plenty of free time" and "EVENING" return? We were hurried off the island.

The brochure stated a full day trip via "Maritime Lines"-we ended up taking a crowded and slow public ferry that made 4 stops before our destination and cost less than 5 Euros per person R/T and one we had to wait for almost 2 hours to board.

Here's the kicker:
During the entire entire entire full day tour this is all the guide said:

We have time before we board the ferry so be back to the bus by 10am. If you're not here, we will leave without you.
Get off the ferry at the last stop.
You will take a horse drawn carriage ride and then come back for lunch at 1:30 at that yellow restaurant over there.
We will leave for the ferry back at 2:45pm.
When we get off the ferry we will take you back to the hotel.

We were on the island a short time, from just 12:25pm to 2:45pm. We were picked up at the hotel at 8:15am and boarded the ferry after much waiting at 11am. The boring ferry ride lasted 1.5 hours on the way out and 1 hour 50 minutes on the way back. It could have been better if the guide explained some of the sights we saw. No, he went off to a corner in the ferry and fell asleep. All the tourists sat by themselves and didn't even have the time to explore the island. We walked down 15 minutes and had to return to the ferry dock because it was time to go.

What a total waste of money and time. The ferry cost less than 5Euros per person. For that, lunch, and a horse carriage ride to come out at 65 Euros when there was no commentary, no GUIDING role? Ridiculous. Just go by yourself if you want to check out the Islands.