“Did not feel let down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melita Hotel

You added Melita Hotel to your Saves list
Melita Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Iskender Pasa Mah. Sekerci Sok. No 20, Istanbul 34080, Turkey   |
Ranked #419 of 828 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Essex, united kingdom
“Did not feel let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

When arriving at the Bed and Breakfast 3 star Melita hotel I did feel very aprehensive as I didn't realise it was slightly off the tourist track and there were lots of men sitting, eating & playing games etc outside of the Hotel but I need'nt have worried as I found everyone either paid no attention or were only to happy to be helpful and courteous and as a lone female traveller I was greatly relieved. The Melita itself was completely adequate, my single room was small but I only wanted to sleep there anyway as I had trips booked out everyday organised beforehand through Backpackers who were brilliant. This I done on the internet before I left. On my first day after my first trip I wanted to go for a Hammam (turkish Bath) which the Hotel sorted out for me, I had no idea where it was and felt a bit nervous about going out on my own but one of the young lads working at the hotel walked me to a local womens only Hammam which was cheaper than touristry ones costing me about 20 pounds. Later that evening I went to see the Whirling Dervishes and had to use the tram system of which I had no experience, the same lad working at the hotel walked over with me and showed me how to purchase my token and where to go. I found the Hotel staff very helpful, Each morning I needed an early wake up call and there was no charge for this. My room as I said before was very basic but it was cleaned every morning and towels changed so I was happy. I was picked up each morning by a driver from Backpackers for my trips plus once I knew how to use the trams (of which we don't have any in UK) I was only about six stops or so from Sultanahmet. Istanbul has some serious traffic and on my first night I did'nt sleep well
but I soon got used to it. The only criticism would be the shower could have done with a new shower head but it wasn't bad enough to complain about. My transfers between Sabiha Gokcen airport on the Asian Side to Melita on the European side was done through Dab shuttle service, I found these to be really good and it cost me I think 36 euro or near as for transfer both ways and when I came down for my breakfast at 6am on my last morning the driver was already waithing at my hotel to pick me up and ate breakfast with me which was really nice. Also both ways I was the only customer so it was more like a private transfer than anything else, again very good value and service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Varna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Located just 2 tram stops away from Sultanahmet (approx 5 mins direct on the tramline) offering excellent value for money accommodation plus numerous cheap cafe's on the doorstep. Hasan & staff extremely helpful. Short walk to Aksaray tram stop.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dornoch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We booked a last minute break to Istanbul and stayed at this hotel - which whilst perhaps does not conform to our jaundiced idea of "tourist type" hotels - does what its says on the tin. The room was small but adequate (have stayed in similar Travel Lodge accommodation), the room was cleaned to high standard every day and the towels were changed every day (none of this please put in shower to conserve energy etc) and the buffet breakfast was fine. The area it is located in is maybe less than salubrious but then step off main drag in any large city and you will find a similar area. I (female) had no sense of danger (unlike large cities in UK) and was happy to walk to and from hotel late at nigh despite mainly men sitting in Cay (tea) Houses. From the hotel it was a ten minute direct walk into centre of Istanbul so ideal location for sight seeing. We found the staff polite and helpful (organised transfer at much cheaper rate then available on net). So would I recommend this hotel - yes if you are looking for a "no frills" hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

i have no words to describe this filfthy place!!! the area is absolutely terrible, mainly men on the streets. staff from the hotel were absolutely rude and unhelpful. i paid for 4 nights but left after 2!!! couldnt stand anymore the place. room is more a box room, shower has leak all the time, absolutely awful.
also is far away from Blue Mosque, please dont believe is near by!! the hotel is located in Aksaray area, horrible horrible area.
i dont recommend the area for a woman at all. i had my partner with me and even that every single man was looking at me, btw i had headscarf, long sleeve and trousers!!!
all the recepcionists were rude to me and my partner, we had to ask more than 5 times for the remote control for the tv. the absolutely ignored us all the time.
this was my second time in Istanbul i should know already that the best area to stay is next to Blue Mosque!!
Awful experiencia in this place i had!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Booked two nights 13 and 14 October 2009. Hotel situated in a very run down area of Istanbul with several night clubs in the vicinity which appeared to be frequented only by men??? An hour after we arrived in the afternoon there was a big fight in the street right outside. During the 20 hours we stayed in the area we heard police sirens almost continually. The hotel reception area was lit by one dim bulb and the general decoration very poor. The hotel room is best described as a box room, the toilet was filthy, the shower drain overflowed and gushed water all over the bathroom floor. The bed was rock hard. The breakfast was, however, reasonable and the staff pleasant and helpful enough to show us where to get a taxi because frankly it was so bad we stayed just the one night and checked out at 9am the next morning. I read reviews before booking and accept that at about £40 a night it wasn't going to be fantastic but we had just come from Anatolia Suites about a kilometre away which for about the same money was very good indeed. I conclude that all those people who reviewed this hotel so positively must have extremely low standards.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

on approach to the hotel, you are given a false impression. the roads are dirty, the pavements are full of people selling their wares. but inside, the hotel is very clean, and the staff were superb. when i went into my allocated room, there was a puddle of water in the bathroom. the staff had no hesitation in giving me another room. the rooms are clean,and i cant praise the staff enough,especially the staff at the desk.they were extremely polite and helpful.there is also an internet cafe right next to it,which was helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Melita Hotel? Share your experiences!