“Nice airport hotel but watch out for your Starwoods benefits and shuttle” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel

You added Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sahilyolu Cad | Atakoy, Istanbul 34158, Turkey   |
Ranked #504 of 945 Hotels in Istanbul
New Jersey
“Nice airport hotel but watch out for your Starwoods benefits and shuttle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Came in for s 2 days stay from the USA and since I had no meetings downtown thought this would be the right place to stay especially since I am gold SPG member. When I checked in and asked if upgrade was available I was told that theyyyy only upgrade platinum members. Instead of arguing I went upsatirs,k checked the SPG website and did not find in hotel or SPG website anything to that effect. I went back downstairs and mentioned
this to SPG desk who said they would check with manager and eventually received a larger room. All the rooms in hotel are very nice, good beds, and wonderful views of the water. I just did not like working so hard for an upgrade which I received in 2 other Sheratons this summer, where I booked with points and cash while here I was paying regular rates.
I still don't understand whny Sheraton only gives you free wireless in the lobby and not in the rooms. For what they charge they should give it to you. Also, while room service menu and breakfast were reasonably priced, I found that the soft drinks in minibar and mene outrageous. I went right outside to major mall with supermarket and bought drinks for 15% of what hotel charged. Too much of a mark-up. Also I found out at airport that shuttle runs every 2 hours or so which fort a hotel 7 minutes away doers not work.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed for 9 nights, I loved the hotel, it was very luxurious, the breakfast was very good.
There are two swimming pools indoor and outdoor, but they are both about 1.6 meter deep only.
The room and the bed were big enough for me,wife and 4 year old son.
There is a gym with sauna and everything it was very nice.
The receptionists were helpful I asked them everyday about tourists attraction places.
Almost everyday there is a wedding which was fine by us because we enjoyed watching the ceremony but the music maybe annoying for some people.
There is a big market in front on the hotel which is very good (cinema, food, etc)
The only problem with the hotel is the location it is very far from city centre and the taxi take about 30 min and about 50 turkish lira (one way)

Room Tip: Take a room on a high floor, book through Heysam agency (140$ only)
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were a family of 4 with 2 young kids.
The hotel staff was excellent, esp the manager at their only resaturant that was open. He was very helpful and greeted us by name each day. The breakfast buffet was expensive 50Lira/person but was extensive and delicious.
My only complaint is that the beds in the hotel are too small. we requested a room with 2 beds and they gave us 2 single beds. We were told that's the only 2 beds-room they have. Rest are 1 bed rooms.

The hotel is not too far from the attractions and has a shuttle twice to the heart of the city. Taxi was about 25 liras each way.

Nice place. would consider going again. 4 stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Izmir, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed Sheraton Atakoy for 3 days with my colleagues in July. We had some urgent meetings and we decided to isolate ourselves from city. Hotel location is great. It is near the Bakirkoy town. Bakirkoy is not historical or touristic place but you may find everything. It is 3rd or 4th biggest town of Istanbul city. And there is a wonderful mall that is called Galleria just near the hotel.
We stayed from Friday to Monday and our jobs finished almost 04:00-04:30 PM. After meetings i wanted to swim at outdoor pool but it was impossible. There were wedding ceremonies at the outdoor pool every night and it was forbidden to swim there before. I am not sure if Sheraton Atakoy is a hotel. It must be wedding governance office.
Hotel staff is polite and they offered me to swim at indoor swimming pool. May be you know, Istanbul is like a hell in July. I refused sharply indoor swimming pool offer. As you guess, Sheraton Hotels are not economical. Even ,if you cant swim, it never worths paying high bill.
I never visit again this hotel on summers and if you like swimming i never advice. I talked to other customers and they complained that there is no enough sunbed and they had to sit on grasses. As i said, never again in summer with these prices.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here for a change to Polat. I was sorry i did.
it's A Sheraton franchise and run very very badly.
Staff are demotivated, unhelpful, poorly trained.
Check in - 40 mins (was told it was staff lunch time)
Wake up call didn't come ("technical problems")
Pillows had holes and tears, carpet was stained
"club room" bathreoom door hanging off hinges
Needed to get electrician to come and turn lights of in my room one night
No shower gel day 1, No shampoo day 2
Woke at 2am for laundry collection (turned out wrong room)
Could go on...
If anyone from Starwood?sheraton reads this...i'd do an audit prett fast of this place - damagoing the brand!Until Sheraton sort this place out - stay at the Polat!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

We were looking for a place near the airport (late flight in & early flight out) and thought the Shearton would be a good choice. On arrival, we noticed parking area was very busy. There seemed to be a bit of confusion at checkin but it was sorted quickly. When we finally got to our room, rhe door was open with a house keeper in the room fiddling with bed. After 5 mts., she left and closed the door. We then noticed the loud music - a very large wedding was in progress on the patio below our window (we were on the 3rd floor). On course we were not told about this at checkin). The music were on until 12:30. My girlfriend used the Bose headset & 2 glasses of wine to get to sleep -:) I was not so lucky. At 11 pm, room service called to say a delivery was on the way. I opened the door - a trolly with champagne, flowers, and fruit was brought into the room. I am a member of SPG but this was way over the top. The waiter told me it was a special gift from my son - small issue in that I do not have a son. Disscussions with mgt downstairs - trolly with goodies leaves room. Seems it was meant for the person who was in the room but moved an hour before due to the noise (they stuck us inthe room). Hotel did send a make up bottle of wine at 11:30 pm (bit late as we were getting up @ 5:30am).

• Stayed July 2011
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

If you have business around the airport area or close ot that, this Hotel is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Higher Floors better View
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel? Share your experiences!