“Good Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferman Hotel

You added Ferman Hotel to your Saves list
Ferman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amiral Tafdil Sok. No:23 Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #97 of 981 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London Ontario
“Good Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Found all the Staff to be outstanding.
Yesmine was delightful as all of her fellow service people
Hotel was clean and well kept. Roof top patio was delightful
Great location

Room Tip: Visit the small market--Grand Bazzar far too large and crowded Shops all seemed to be the same
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lawton, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife and I spent five wonderful nights at the Ferman Hotel in mid-September. This is our second visit to Istanbul and again, we had a very pleasurable stay in the city. The hotel is within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions and public transportation. The room was perfect- very clean and well furnished. The service was excellent and personalized. The hotel’s staff was always friendly, helpful, and courteous. The hotel arranged for a driver to meet us at the airport; our flight was two hours late and I was worried the driver would not be there when we cleared customs. He did wait and I was pleasantly surprised. After traveling for 23 hours, he made out trip from the airport to the hotel relaxing and enjoyable – no stress. The hotel has a nice rooftop breakfast with a great view of the Bosporus, Blue Mosque, and Hagia Sophia. In the evening, we would have drinks on the rooftop and the view was even more spectacular. We had a wonderful experience visiting Istanbul and staying in the Ferman Hotel. I have nothing but positive comments for this hotel and its wonderful staff and would recommend it to anyone. We are planning to return to Istanbul again next year and we will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

First of all I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before, but so disappointed was I with the Fernan that I felt compelled to post.

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for their 3-night package, 14th October - 17th October 2011, and like the reviewer below the package was to include airport transfer, fruit basket, and welcome drink - 2 out of 3 we received - no drink was offered. I travel up to 15 times a year and always put great store in Tripadvisor reviews, and at my time of booking this hotel was ranked in the top 20 of over 700 hotels in Istanbul, having now had my 3-night stay I am absolutely astonished at how it achieved anywhere near this ranking.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is a fairly nice small hotel, room was very clean and staff generally courteous and polite, but top 20 out of over 700? All I can say is the other 680-odd hotels in Istanbul must be pretty shoddy!

And the Fernan wasn't cheap, almost €400 for 3 nights B&B (less 10% off for paying cash on arrival), I have stayed in 5* hotels all over the world for less than this, and I can assure you the Ferman is no 5* hotel - 2* or 3* at best.

I read elsewhere on these reviews that the only room at lobby level was a great option (can't remember the room number), reviews said very quiet and the only room at the hotel with a balcony. On this advice I requested said room and was delighted it was available. All I can say is whoever reviewed ithis room as quiet is either an EXTREMELY heavy sleeper or completely deaf!

Firstly, ALL of the rooms at the back of the hotel overlook a railway track, and by overlook I mean less than 15 metres away! This was the view from the 1 metre square balcony, together with the back of a few 3 storey buildings (and I use the word buildings lightly!) The trains begin at 6am and run every 5-10 minutes until after 1am the following morning, in the still of night you would swear they ran through the room such was the noise!

Then there were the drainage pipes which seemed to be run behind the rooms internal walls, everytime someone flushed a loo in one of the 7 or 8 upstairs rooms the waste travelled through our room towards the sewage system somewhere below!

As for it also being quiet at lobby level, the door of our room was directly adjacent to the sitting/meeting area in the lobby, anyone gathering before going out, or indeed coming back after a evening out, and engaging in even the quietest of conversations could be heard quite clearly right outside the door, with the thin walls it was as though they were sitting at the bottom of our bed.

In a nutshell, if this is one of the quietest rooms in the hotel I am certainly glad I didn't stay in one of the others. I asked to be moved after the first night but was told the hotel was full, we got very little sleep for 3 days.

Breakfast was served in the basement and not the roof terrace due to inclement weather, it was nothing to write home about, cold meats, eggs, cheese and fruit - I have no idea what was in the containers they referred to as the fruit juice! Anyway, breakfast runs from 7 - 10am, we gave up on early breakfast after the first day and used the extra hours to try to catch up on some sleep, by 9.30am eggs were all gone.

In summary, I suppose the Fernan isn't the worst hotel in Istanbul, granted it's pretty well located near the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia, but then again so are the other hundred or so hotels we walked past every day to get these sights, and only 4 or 5 of of those hotels also back up onto that railway line!

If I return to Istanbul again (and probably will) I will definitely NOT be staying at the Fernan. For far less money I could have stayed at any number of hotels less than 200 metres away, and they all looked every bit as comfortable as the Fernan - they certainly couldn't have been any noisier!

My advice - extremely overrated and disappointing, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel, or if you must stay at the Fernan definitely ask for a room at the f...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The location of the hotel was very good for sightseeing and it was clean. The breakfast on the other hand was the worst I have had in all my many years of staying in hotels week after week. It was always cold, not very Turkish, a large selection of cold meats and cheeses filled most of the breakfast table, items would frequently be unavailable. The hotel did not have half of the facilities it boasted on Expedia, and definitely not a 4 star, it is no more than a 3 star. The view we had was that of a shack and a very loud railway line behind. The rooms are not soundproof as they are advertised. They have not just elevated the status hotel, but actually lied about the details and facilities.

Winston Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

After having reviewed almost all the hotels in Sultanahmet/Sirkeci area, we decided on Ferman Hotel based on the reviews. We stayed in Room 401, double room with ocean view. First, the room is much bigger than what you would typically find in Istanbul and/or Europe. The luxuorious, spacious feel of the room along with the sea view was definitely a pleasant experience. The early Oct weather being rainy and cold, we felt very content to enjoy the seaview with a cup of hot tea! For breakfast,the roof restaurant offered spectacular views of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia and Marmara Sea crowded with ships, ferries, etc. Unfortunately, the weather was not very colloborative in that it was rainy, windy and cold. We would have wanted to spend hours for breakfast and after dinner if the weather were nicer. Similar to other hotels in Turkey, we weren't surprised with the uninteresting breakfast. I mean one would expect local breakfast items with a broader selection but by the time we stayed at this hotel, we came to accept that in Turkey most hotels have very limited breakfast selection. Couldn't understand why. Another nuisance was the transportation back to the airport. Like any other business in the Sultanahmet area, the taxi arranged by the hotel was twice as much as expensive as you would arrange otherwise. As with the restaurants, gift shops, etc. try to negotiate the transportation into half of what's offered by the hotel. While it certainly is not the best, overall, we would highly recommend this hotel because of great location, very comfortable rooms, excellent seaview and overall good value for the money.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed in the Ferman Hotel in Istanbul for a week in early September this year. We found the location perfect being right next to the main tourist sites, and many restaurants. Reception were always very helpful. Our room was pleasant, tidy and comfortable. The roof terrace restaurant where we had breakfast has the most spectacular views to the Blue Mosque, over the Bosphorus and the Sea of Mamara. We thoroughyl enjoyed our stay and we unhesitatinlgy recommend it. Roger & Lynne

Room Tip: Choose the side facing into Sultanahmet with balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We found this hotel very clean and a super location. Erican and Veyjel at reception were extremely helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ferman Hotel? Share your experiences!