“Friendly and delicious” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Salisbury
“Friendly and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice restaurant up a side street, best meal we have had so far. Freshly cooked and served with a smile - one of the few places where the guy outside is honest enough to admit his competitors can also cook well. The fullest place in the street for a reason!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Georgia, USA
“Best so far in Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been eating in Istanbul for over 10 days now. This so far is the best dinner we have had. We ordered and ate a lot. I am a home cook myself and can tell bad cuisine apart from a freshly cooked nice one. Guy standing by the big menu out on the street had stopped us. We read the menu while standing and ordered our food. Roasted Lamb Plate, Grilled Salmon and a Mixed Grilled Platter and Drinks. Restaurant also has a very nice kids menu. Dined outside in 10 degree Celsius under portable gas heaters feeling very comfortable.
*Food Quantity >>> Super Good
*Freshness >>> Super Good
*Taste >>> Delicious
*Service >>> Five Stars >>> Friendly
*Price >>> For Quantity >>> Modest
We were also offered a free Turkish Tea with free Rice Pudding.
We would definitely recommend this Hatay to anyone looking for a nice and delicious meal in Istanbul.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis, MO
“Hatay Restaurant – Great Food/Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This establishment is also known as Deja Vu and this is where I had my very first meal while in Istanbul. I chose Hatay for two reasons - first, it was near my hotel, and second, it was crowded, and I figured where there were crowds, there was good food. Turns out I was right.

Hatay/Deja Vu has an extensive menu which will satisfy vegetarians and meat eaters alike. I had two meals here, both of which were great. For my first meal I had a vegetarian casserole, which consisted of a mixture of eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and peppers in a light tomato sauce. Excellent! The dish came in a round black cast iron bowl and was so hot it was actually sizzling. The casserole was accompanied by naan bread, which is an oven baked flatbread that had roasted sesame seeds baked into the top.

For my second meal, I ordered hummus as an appetizer. The hummus also came with a serving of naan bread. My entree was a beef kebab dish over roasted vegetables which I simply could not finish, as it was just too much food. The beef was nice and tender, the vegetables were perfectly cooked, and the entire meal was delicious.

The service was great and the staff was friendly and attentive. Price points for both meals were reasonable, in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would have no hesitation about eating there again when returning to Istanbul.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ATHENS, GREECE
“good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is better known as "DEJA VU" as shown on their neon lights, on a tidy narrow side street, with good food, good service with a genuine smile, displaying the Trip Advisor label in full view .A good place for an informal turkish dinner, good value for money. Most annoying is the constant 'invitation' everywhere by street callers who invite you in, not even giving you time to have a look at the menu list. The kind of nonsense 'invitation' such as you are spanish, no you are greeks, no you are italian, where are you from, come in we have great food and such nonsense.

Visited November 2012
Swansea
“Nice atmosphere,reasonable prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Hatay and Dejavu restaurants are more or less the same place. We ate here three times during a week's stay and tried a range of items on the menu. We were happy with the service, the food and the atmosphere of the place. It was always busy and served food and drink until late.

Visited September 2012