“what a view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
warwick
“what a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

My husband,myself, daughter +grandaughter have recently returned from a holiday in Turkey,staying 4 nights at Istanbul Suites.The hotel was extremely modern,clean,with friendly staff.We wish that we had been warned about the very steep hill,which one had to negotiate to either reach the tram stop,or walk to the Galata Bridge.My husband +I are both retired but very active,even so found it too much.We resolved to taxis a few times,but found the hotel was'nt known to them,resulting in us directing the driver to the best of our ability.The breakfasts were very limited with choice,you kneeded to know beforehand you can actually have `eggs' if you ask for them,+ to our horror you had to pay extra for fresh juice.Needless to say bottled water was 10times the price of elswhere .How much would it cost them to supply 2small complimentary bottles a day.On the plus side the views from our rooms were fantastic,especially at night.It's a small hotel in a residential area,with a few good restaurants within reasonable walking distance,but we found it rather too far out from the main tourist sights etc.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tuncel, Manager at Witt Istanbul Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Hello,
That is a very helpful review to improve ourselves. I agree with most of your comments. Here are my thoughts on the topics you have brought up:
1.Breakfast: In the past we have received both very positive feedbacks and criticism. We have come up with a solution which is to start from scratch with the consultancy of a reaaaaly good catering firm. We will have organic and more local varieities plus the omlettes and homemade cakes. My promise, the project will be finished by the end of June 2009.
2. Complimentary water: It actually does not cost anything to put a bottle of comp. water by the bedside. Since you are the second guest bringing this up, I guess I should be serving one bottle ( not two bottles :) ) complimentary.
One thing I disagree ( I am not sure if I should object to a guests comment, hope I will not be fired ) is that water in the room is more expensive than elsewhere. Please trust me it is not.. 1 liter of Evian water, we charge as other hotels ( I can only say we do not charge more , I cannot say it is not expensive )
3. Taxis not finding easily: Please put half of the blame to unhonest taxi drivers who have a habit of charging more by taking the longer way. Our part of blame will be solved by putting a turkish directions on our webpage which you will be able to download.
Thank you very much again for those valuable feedbacks. Have a great day!
Tuncel-GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Erzeman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I stayed at witt a couple of nights in late may 2009 with my girlfriend and was astonished, good location, great service, sure, but to get a suite that sixe for that amount of money in a modern, neatly designed and detail-perfected hotel is almost to good to be true. kept looking for hooks, but there simply were none. or, perhaps a rooftop pool would have perfected the whole but at that time it wasn't that hot in istanbul anyway. and design-wise i felt right at home, in sweden, with its modern take on scandinavian cool. just go!

Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

The reviews are all correct. The hotel is a triumph of design whilst still being very comfortable. Good quality bedding. Excellent breakfasts. Lots of space even on the lower floors. But it is the staff who make staying here such a pleasure. From the surprise Mother's Day gift (thank you) through to recommendations for trips out and food the staff are friendly and very helpful. Even when our transfer to the airport failed to turn up (more about the transfer company in Istanbul forum) the staff moved swiftly to organise a transfer for us which despite exceptionally heavy traffic jams managed to get us to the airport on time. They even telephoned us during the trip to the airport to keep us informed of the estimated time of arrival as the driver did not speak English! Now that is thoughtful!
My only suggestion is that breakfast needs some explanation. Fresh fruit juice and cooked eggs are available if you ask but they cost extra which isn't made clear. It would have been nice to know that freshly squeezed orange was available on day one.
If you do not want to be closeted in the centre of Istanbul with the carpet sellers and hordes of tourists then stay in Beyoglu which is the European area of the city. The area is lovely with lots of places to eat and drink. You can spend ages exploring the back streets and mixing with the locals.
As I have mobility problems we didn't climb up the hill from Tophane Tram station. We took the tram to Kabatas (next stop along from Tophane) and then the funicular to Taksim Square where we then strolled down to the hotel with lots of opportunity for shopping on the way especially at the cake shop !! Simples!

Tuncel, Manager at Witt Istanbul Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2009
Helloo,
I totally agree with you about breakfast, and we have hired a consultant to make our breakfast more memorable and if you remember the communal table ( used for display for open buffet ) now it will be available for sitting. We are thinking of more organic and home made breakfast which I guess would be ok within 2 weeks.
have a great day and you take the same route as me ( from kabatas taking the finicular and walkind down :) )
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Witt. From the minute we arrived, we were completely spoilt. The check-in was easy and the guys behind the desk could not do enough to help and recommend places to visit or eat/drink. We had a room on the 4th floor (43) and I would totally recommend the extra cost to get the larger room AND the view of the old town.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful. Everything from the attention to detail in the wall hangings, through to the excellent little kitchen/bar areas is just a dream. Our room was also huge, which meant that a late afternoon rest on the divine leather sofa with a chilled bottle of wine, some baklava and a DVD from the collection downstairs, was a real treat after a full day of sightseeing!

Yes, the hotel is half way up a fairly steep hill, but taxis are cheap and if you can’t face the walk, they are an easy way to get home. We didn’t bother and revelled in the fact that everything was within easy walking distance.

I can’t think of one negative thing to say about the Witt and am almost annoyed that my gushing may make this place less of a secret! That said, I hope that anyone looking for a room in Istanbul takes the advice and books a room at the Witt as quickly as they can.

Hello,
I like the way you have spent your time watching movies with wine and baklava. I have brought my own DVD collection to the hotel and plan to increase the number of local documentaries about life in Istanbul.
Take care , byee!
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I'm a frequent world traveler, lots of good and bad experiences in top-rated hotels all over. This little hotel is great, the location is terrific, rooms clean and comfortable, breakfast is nice, staff is universally friendly and nice. Aykut at the front desk was very helpful as were all his colleagues - reservations, advice, nothing was a problem for them. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.... what a great city Istanbul is, and the neighborhood around the hotel is not too touristy, interesting places to eat and have a great coffee or snack. Easy to get anywhere, the trolley (much nicer and cleaner than what we have in Boston!) is right down the hill. We had a wonderful time. Unlike what we see in Boston every day, we never once saw a homeless person or panhandler, everyone we encountered in Istanbul was friendly and helpful, and the food was fantastic - so long as we stuck to the authentic Turkish places. The fancy "fusion" type restaurants were expensive and disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello,
I love your words"not touristy" about the location. That is my objective when I visit other places. I always would try to touch the local life. Our location pick for Witt reflects this aim. Please contact me before you come to Istanbul even if you are staying at other hotels, and ı would love to share my insider recommendations.
Have a nice day!
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

the rooms at the witt are beautifully designed, they are the perfect start to a memorable trip. they also present good value for money. the location is perfect in that it is a short (15 min) walk to the galetta bridge or a very convenient short tram ride to all the major sights in the sultahamet. the hotel is on a short but steep section of the road, which was fine for us, but may pose a problem for others, but then a lot of istanbul has short sections of hill to navigate. nothing a child couldnt cope with. the staff at the hotel are fantastic, really friendly and welcoming, one even offered to meet us after work to take us to a club he thought we might not find by ourselves (his map worked perfectly). the breakfasts were to die for, home-made jams and cakes mega-fresh!

Hi,
I am glad you were able to get a feeling of the local life. Istanbul is indeed not as organised as other European capitals so one may find it hard to find an address even with a map. So please make sure you also get additional directions from your friends or hotel such as where it is close to etc. We ( I mean locals) always give directions as " it is close to .... or next to this..."
See you soon, byeee!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Just an amazing hotel. Great staff. Huge, comfortable, stylish rooms. One of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in (and I sleep in a lot of hotel beds). Fantastic bathroom, great location, and very good breakfast buffet in the morning.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Witt Istanbul Suites? Share your experiences!