“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I always like staying at the Four Seasons because they hire the best people. Amazing customer service in all respects.
Concierge
Superbly handled my reservation with a hammam prior to arrival.
When I phoned them upon arrival at the airport that maybe I won't have enough time to check in at the Bosphorus then make my appointment by the Old City, the Concierge suggested I leave my luggage at the Four Seasons Sulthanamet and do the hammam next door, no problem. Everything was always made so easy.
When asking for restaurant recommendations, and giving my considerations (ie. walking distance from hotel, child friendly, good food), Murat gave an excellent recommendation - House Cafe. Since he knew the manager, we were given a great table by the Bosphorus on a very busy night.
Also, when asking for a cab and waiting for it to arrive, the guys outside were very friendly, provided water bottles for my family and great fun. They are very knowledgable, professional and warm.

Spa
When I was given a tour of the spa, the lady Nemia was super nice and helpful. The information she provided during the tour proved useful when I returned to the spa the following day. The ladies at the reception also made you feel very welcome and remembered me from the previous night.
The Spa is amazing. All the little details are thought of.

The property is fantastic as you could expect from any Four Seasons. But this is special. Being right next to the Bosphorus is magical. The pool, the terrace, the views!!!
The rooms are great too. This with the outstanding staff makes this a great holiday destination.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay at a FS and I was not terribly impressed. After two days I was fed up with paying almost $1,000/night to not have a superb experience and I switched to the Sultanahmet, which so far is fantastic.

I had a Palace Courtyard room on the 1st floor (2nd floor to us North Americans). Aside from the high ceilings, the room was bland -- mostly bare walls and dull furnishings. Hallway noise was a problem -- every closing door, every ice bucket filling, every voice could be heard loud and clear. Wifi was poor and a ripoff at 22 EUR for the "premium." (The basic is unusable for anything but email.) Bvlgari amenities are uninspired. Only one free 33cl bottle of water is provided each day. (Istanbul is hot in August!) It goes on, but the point is so many little things are not done well here.

Service was robotic. They were out of Museum Passes, fine. But they made it sound like a city-wide problem -- I believed I couldn't even buy from the kiosks from what they said -- so I gave up on visiting the sights for my first two days as I didn't want to spend hours in lines. (Thankfully the staff at Sultanahmet cleared this up for me when I checked in.) And nobody asked me why I was checking out early and switching to the Sultanahmet property, for example. I was a bit disappointed also that no offers were made to move my stuff for me (as I've read has been offered to others). I should've also expressed my disappointment at the property and maybe they would've just waived the add'l 30 EUR the room at the Sultanahmet cost. (Again, a bit surprised they didn't just keep the rate the same.)

I will say the best part of the hotel is the outdoor terrace and lounge, Yali. The venue and views are spectacular. The waiters were exceedingly helpful and friendly, and the food and drinks were very good (contrary to what reviewers seem to say about Aqua, the Italian restaurant) and appear to offer a representative tour of Turkish cuisine.

Location is fine. A bit far from the sights but close to Ortakoy and a quick shot (or scenic walk) up to Bebek. Getting to Taksim is a bit of a trek, too. Obviously the views of the Bosphorus are gorgeous. Overall there is no perfect location in Istanbul and this one is pretty good.

So far the Sultanahmet property seems to be redeeming my initial opinion of FS but I'll be hesitant to stay at one again over a Ritz, St Regis or top boutique hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

As all Four Seasons worldwide that I have had the pleasure to stay, I am never disappointed. The location was superb from the perspective of direct views of the Bosphorus. The interior amenities and service were all impeccable. The pool and restaurants are situated outside and have direct views of the Bosphorus and you can only imagine how fascinating it is watching everything from a small fishing vessel to large Russian oil tankers moving commerce along the waterways. The hotel is not situated in the old city which is where most of my tourist activities were, so therefore a 30 minute taxi ride is required. That was a negative. The Four Seasons Sultanhamet is directly located in the historic city center walking distance to the Mosques and bazaars, though it lacks a pool and I was traveling with two teenagers. A pool was a must. Additionally, the Bosphorus Four Seasons is a very popular wedding reception location. There were enormous receptions every night of the four night stay there. That was a little distracting. Therefore, a four star rating has been provided.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed here for 2 days on our way to Africa and really enjoyed our time. The hotel (old palace) is stunning and the location on the Bosphorus is fantastic. It is a 20 min drive to the old city (traffic can be pretty bad in Istanbul) or a quick water taxi ride across the water (highly recommended). We spent a day exploring the bazar and the Haggia Sophia and Blue Mosque and then had a drink at the other Four Seasons in Sultanhamet and had them call the water taxi for us which was a short walk from the property. We spent a lot of time by the pool watching the ships go by and also dined at the outdoor restaurant. Since it was Ramadan, we were lucky to be able to have an Iftar dinner that they were putting on. All in all, a very good hotel and we would definitely return on our next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed 3 nights and wished we stayed longer. Where do i even begin?
Everything was just seamless, from the time we checked in to the time we left.

The hotel is located by the waterfront, along the Bosphorus. Although not near most tourisy sites, we liked that it was away from the hustle of the old city. And the waterfront views are just priceless.

Rooms are large and spacious (including the bathrooms) and so comfortable. Housekeeping staff kept our rooms so neat and tidy and also left daily surprises / messages for us. Nothing is impossible for them and we even requested for a change to a firmer mattress.

Special mention also for the hotel's exemplary service and attention to detail. They really go out of the way to please. My partner had commented on Instagram that it was such a relief checking into the Four Seasons after a bad morning (we were denied boarding on our Turkish Airlines domestic flight due to overbooking). They managed to track us down and sent a fruit platter to our room.

The Concierge team was also amazing - i think the most knowledgable we have ever come across in any hotel. They took time to suggest places of interest and restaurants. The gem there was Kemal, who was so personable, sharing with us his favourite places and also taking the extra step to ensure we get the best seats in the restaurants he booked for us.

Our only gripe would be the traffic in Istanbul, the road outside the hotel is perpetually jammed, but a skillful taxi driver can help avert that by taking alternative routes.

We have nothing but praise for this wonderful hotel and their staff.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard view room which was nice enough if you do not need views of the waterfront. There...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. The hotel is fantastic! I can't think about one thing I would improve.
The staff is attentive and helpful.
The only problem is getting to the hotel. The traffic in the city is brutal, so it was taking us over an hour to reach the hotel by cab from the city center, which should of be taking just a few minutes otherwise.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed for a few days in this hotel in July 2014. The location is beautiful, on the Bosphorus, very close to the Beskitas ferry stop and also to the lovely "village" of Ortakoy. Although it is a bit far from the attractions of the old city, a short cab ride takes you there for a quite reasonable price. The pool and restaurants on the Bosphorus shore are really breathtaking and worth the visit. The rooms were excellent, and the bathrooms were fabulous. We booked courtyard view rooms, but were lucky enough to get rooms that, although were indeed courtyard view rooms, also had a lovely view of the Bosphorus and even of Hagia Sofia! Breakfast, which was included in our rate, was excellent! The staff were great, making you feel like their most important guest ever. We went with teenagers who also had the time of their life. All in all, a great choice!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus? Share your experiences!