“Palatial grandeur” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 916 hotels in Istanbul
Singapore
“Palatial grandeur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I received a wonderful surprise on my return trip to Istanbul from Cappadocia, the front desk staff informed me that they had given me an upgrade to a suite with a panoramic view of the Bosphorous Strait. It was a truly amazing suite and I felt like a princess in it for 2 nights.
If you want an alternative experience to staying at the Sultanahmet property, as I did, then check out this Four Seasons. There are lots of restaurants along the Bosphorous to dine in, and its in a trendy part of town. And you can walk to the Dolmabache Palace, the shiniest and most glitzzy of the Ottoman Palaces from the hotel. It seems that people on business stay here rather than vacationers.
However it is a bit of a trek to the Old City from here, especially with the grid lock traffic conditions of Istanbul.
Other than that it's a fabulous property. Great attention to detail, they remembered I wanted a kettle and tea in the room.
The staff were so wonderful and kind at all times, even when they were very busy. Staying here made my trip to Istanbul special.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Bosphorous Strait. Its worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Turkish first
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wonderful property and views of the water and bridge. We were much less pleased here than at the Sultanahmet Four Seasons...

Location: Property is amazing, no complaints. If your goal is to relax a little in Istanbul, then this is a great choice. If you want to do anything in the old part of town, this is horrible Istanbul has no real public transportation and traffic is horrible Do not look at Google maps. It will take 1 hour to go 5-6 miles.

Room: There are rooms in the historic palace and also in the newer additions. We had one in the palace and room itself was very nice. View was of parking lot, so not so hot, but we booked the cheapest room so I can't complain. One of the best beds I've ever slept in. One major problem is that people in nearby rooms were smoking (all indoor spaces are supposed to be smoke-free). The hotel was not very responsive in helping with the smell. They offered a air purifier which helped, but they refused my suggestion that they actually confront the people that were smoking. I guess smoking is just so ingrained in the Istanbul psyche that they didn't think it was a big deal.

Staff: Really only about average. Again, the staff at the Sultanahmet location were amazing, here, OK. The doormen were OK. I know it sounds funny, but I actually had to open the hotel door on multiple occasions (never touched a door at Sultanahmet). Getting a taxi was also not efficient. See about about staff's indifference to smoking in a hotel room.

Food: We ate one dinner in the restaurant and liked it very much. A bit overpriced as we knew ahead of time, but the service, selection, and quality were top-notch. No complaints at all.

Spa: Absolutely amazing. We did not pay for any spa treatments, but all guests are welcome to use their indoor pool and hot tub. One of the grandest places I've ever swam. We should have spent more time her.

We would likely NOT stay here again, mainly because of the smoking, but also somewhat because it is in an inconvenient location if you want to do anything other than relax.

Room Tip: Ask for the palace portion and a Bosphorus view (but you'll pay for it).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FSBosphorus, Manager at Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear JJamon,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Four Seasons Hotel Bosphorus and your rightful comments. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed the property and the facilities but on the other hand saddened to read that your otherwise enjoyable stay was ruined by cigarette smoke.

As you have mentioned, the Hotel is smoke free but unfortunately we cannot control the activities of the guest once they are in the room. After your complaint, we should have warned the next room to refrain from smoking but we have failed to do so. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and trust that this incident will not affect your faith to Four Seasons.
Your great comment regarding our sister hotel in Sultanahmet has made us feel happy as we have succeeded in providing you with a true Four Seasons experience during your stay in Istanbul.

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Istanbul. Please feel free to contact me directly at nihat.yucel@fourseasons.com for any further questions.

Best regards,

Nihat Yucel
Hotel Manager
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wonderful property, well-appointed, very clean and the wonderful service one expects from FS. Loved the grounds with great views of the Bosphorus. Gives a true resort feel wihtout being too far away from the old city. Nothing but praise for this gem in Istanbul.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FSBosphorus, General Manager at Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Jan Z,

Thank you very much for your kind post and nice words, which made our day in Istanbul.
We hope to host you again in the nearest future.

Best regards to Canada,

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I spent two glorious nights at the Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus earlier this month, and our experience at this hotel was nothing short of perfect. We were treated like royalty, from check in to check out. The staff is so warm, so professional, so alert and so attentive and there are so many staff members, stationed throughout the hotel, always ready to offer assistance. We were upgraded to a suite with a partial Bosphorus view, which was a wonderful surprise. The breakfast buffets were simply beyond, beyond; so much delicious fresh food. The dining room servers at all meals were particularly attentive, offering to tailor the menu to suit my husband's requests. Everyone on this staff speaks perfect English, has perfect manners, and really cares about the satisfaction of the guests. This hotel is an elegant retreat in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FSBosphorus, General Manager at Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear ackfan,

Thank you for sharing this post about your stay early this month. You made my day with your great comments about the attentiveness of our staff and the personalized service you've experienced during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the nearest future,

Best regards to New York,

Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

the hotel has a magnificent location, outside the hustle and bustle of this magnificent city.
At times the Taxi ride is a little longer but the walk to the public Tram is about 15 minutes and with that stressless travel through the worse traffic.

Room Tip: with view of Busporus
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear joytravellervienna,

Thank you very much for your great feedback about the Hotel and we are delighted to read that it was a pleasant stay for you and your family.

We hope to host you again in Istanbul very soon.

Best regards,

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is my 3rd visit to Istanbul in 3 years. Stayed for 2 nights at the Four Seasons Bosphorus as I was attending a business event there.
On a previous work visit I stayed at the Hilton (also the modern part of town) and on a family vacation opted to stay in the Old Town.

Service and premises are what you would expect from a top notch Four Seasons, but you pay for it. Had breakfast at the restaurant ($50) !!! and lunch in a function room. Food and service were excellent.

Definitely being by the sea (the Bousphorus) is lovely and you can spend hours in a chair enjoying the weather and watching boat going by. While my room was overlooking the back of the hotel not sea view, I did not mind, as one seldom spends time in the room except for sleeping.

Interestingly I left a book I was reading on a table one day; I have the habit of dog earing the page (folding the coner) I stop at. Upon returning in the evening, I found housekeeping left me a book marker, and it was placed at exactly the right page. You can call that above and beyond the call of duty.

A 20 to 30 minutes stroll to the south along the shore takes you to the beautiful palace of Dolmabahce (a must see) and from nearby you can ride the finicular up to Taksim Square and the pedestrian/shopping Istiklal Street where the crowds, shops and restaurants are a nice entertainment in the evenings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Everything about this ultra-luxe property is stellar--including the breathtaking location on the Bosphorus. I don't know which I liked best, the accommodations, staff, food, amazing night's sleep in the almost too-cozy bed, or the service--as they were all among the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. I cannot wait to return for an extended stay and will cherish my fond memories until then.

Room Tip: Loved having a room with a view of the street and neighboring buildings from the cozy window seat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ellen B,

Thank you for sharing your post. There is no bigger motivator than the comments of our guests and yours definitely made our day at Four Seasons Hotel Bosphorus. I'm delighted to read that we've ensured an enjoyable stay and hope to host you again, this time for an extended stay...

Best regards to San Diego,

Leonardo Baiocchi

Been to Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus? Share your experiences!