“A brilliant cooking class, which is also fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarnic Hotel Turkish Cooking Class

Sarnic Hotel Turkish Cooking Class
Kucuk Ayasofya Caddesi No: 26 | Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34400, Turkey (Sultanahmet - Old City)
90 212 518 23 23
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Expedia
Book a Tour
Ranked #120 of 543 Activities in Istanbul
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: While in Istanbul, why not take the time to learn some delicious Turkish recipes which you can share with your friends and family when you return home? The class is held in the hotel's kitchen and features a local chef as instructor. During the four-hour class, you will prepare a five-course meal of traditional dishes. Recipes are provided for your keeping and the group enjoys a delicious meal of their own creation in the rooftop restaurant at the end of the session. Come with your own group or meet new people in the class. The class size, ranging from 4 to 10, allows for each person to actively participate in the food preparation.
UK
“A brilliant cooking class, which is also fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I booked this class prior to my visit to Istanbul for seven of us. The customer services prior to our visit was excellent.

The cooking class itself is brilliant, Mehmet (hotel manager) is a fantastic host and the chef is also a good teacher. We all really enjoyed the cooking lesson and also eating the food when we had finished!

I recommend you all to consider this cooking lesson during your trip to Istanbul. We felt the class was value for money, and was well delivered.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mehmet and the chef for their hospitality.

Novi, Michigan
“Have Extra Time When Visiting Istanbul...Take a Turkish Cooking Class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

If you are visiting Istanbul for more than a quick weekend trip and have already seen the major sites, consider taking a break from more site seeing or shopping and get a real "taste of Turkey" by attending a Turkish Cooking Class at the Sarnic Hotel in Istanbul. You will learn to prepare a full 5 course Turkish meal including soup, appetizer, vegetable, main course and dessert under the guidance of the Hotel Chef and Mehmet Emen, the Sarnic Hotel's friendly Hotel Manager who speaks excellent English. On my last trip to Istanbul (October 2009), I attended this 1 day class (plan on about 5-6 hours total) along with 2 couples from the U.S. ( 1 couple were restaurant owners, the other couple were honeymooners) and 2 ladies from England. The class maximum is 8 people due to the size of the kitchen. As a student of the class, you will receive copies of all the recipes that are being made that day. You will do all the food preparation and cooking, making note of different techniques and a few recipe variations that the Chef points out. Afterwards, you will enjoy the fruits of your labor when you sit down in the dining room, enjoy a glass of wine and have your delicious meal served to you. During my class, we learned to prepare a Yogurt Soup, Cheese Pastry Appetizer, a traditional Green Bean Dish, a Lamb and Aubergine main course and a classic Rice Pudding for dessert.
When you go, wear comfortable shoes as you will be on your feet most of the time and definately wear a short sleeve top as the kitchen gets very warm as you work over the stove. Aprons will be provided.
You do not have to stay at the Sarnic Hotel to take the cooking class, but I would certainly consider staying at this cozy hotel in the future. I was staying at another hotel across town, as my husband was attending a convention. Mr Emen, the Hotel Manager, had a driver meet me in the lobby of my hotel and return me to my hotel afterwards. Of course there was a charge for the driver, but it was a wonderful convenience and I felt very comfortable and secure traveling by myself to the class.
I would definately recommend the class. It was great to learn some new ethnic recipes and cooking techniques in a fun atmosphere. Do not make any dinner reservations for the evening following your class. You will not be hungry after your delicious meal.

C. Waranowicz
Novi, Michigan
U.S.A.

Alberta, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Turkish Cooking Class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We stumbled upon the class at the last minute while in Sultanahmet and were able to attend the very next day, however it's probably better to secure your spot in advance.

The class size was good for the size of the kitchen and I was happy with cleanliness of the facility. There was a nice range of dishes that we prepared.

I enjoyed the instruction - they were helpful and friendly and shared great information about cooking and somethings about Turkey in general. They were able and willing to answer questions and made sure we all got enough to eat after wards!

The food tasted delicious and I had a great time. I think if you have the budget (might not be backpacker friendly) this class with it's varying recipes and class times is great choice.

Santa Fe, NM
“An excellent first day activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I received an e-mail from Mehmet, the hotel's General Manager, shortly after booking. He offered us the oportunity to take a cooking class scheduled for the morning after our arrival. We had been in Turkey for two weeks already and had eaten and cycled our way across the Western and Southern coasts so were somewhat familiar with the cuisine. Thinking it would be a nice way to start our Istanbul visit I booked the class. We ended up having a fantastic time. a total of seven people attended and the chef had plenty of time for all of us. Written recipes were provided and we took notes as we cooked and prepared. We had a great time and a fantastic lunch.

Sussex
“One of our best experiences in Istanbul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

The class was great fun. Russians, British and Irish participants we donned outr aprons and began. The kitchen was spotless and the instruction easy to follow. Mehmet was the kindest of hosts, he translated and explained and encouraged us. We were all delighted to find that after all, we had managed to prepare and cook a five course Turkish meal which we then sat down and enjoyed along with wine and conversation which crossed national boundaries. And best of all we can all go home confident of sharing the experience with our friends when we recreate this Turkish party meal.