“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Byzantium Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added The Byzantium Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Byzantium Hotel & Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cankurtaran Avenue Akbiyik Street Number: 29 | Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #135 of 916 hotels in Istanbul
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed in The Byzantium Hotel in August 2014 on our first trip to Turkey. Coming from Canada and experiencing other European hotels The Byzantium was spacious! It was clean, well kept, and the staff were friendly. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel as though we were the most important people for the staff to deal with. A hotel we will stay in the next time we are in Istanbul!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and I have only good words to say. Our room was very well equipped and clean. It was overlooking Bosporus. The staff was friendly and especially the receptionist Dorina was all the time available to give information about the sites. Breakfast was ok but I would prefer more selection of sweets instead. Overall a very good choice given it's central location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view to Bosporus.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tbilisi, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I decided to write a review purely because of the incredible guest relations manager they employ. Esra is very friendly and always ready to help. She made me feel almost like at home when she welcomed me. Working in customer services myself I can say she does perfect job. She gives very precise information about everything - starting from directions, including taxi fees, museum opening hours, etc. She can substitute an advise of professional guide. The hotel itself is very clean, location is great, walking distance to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Top Kapi palace is just few minutes.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Highly recommend w/out hesitation. Exceptionally good and consistent service for nine nights. The front desk manager could be a little more helpful/pro-active. Upon checkout, my credit cards weren't registering w/the system she offered no solution, just gave me a blank stare. However, Esra saw the situation and recommended I use the nearby ATM. Same staff member came to my rescue when the manager wanted to give me about 35 Euros in coins, Esra stepped in and offered to accept the coins and give me paper TL. Esra and the rest of the staff from the front desk service to the restaurant staff went above and beyond to answer questions and anticipate our needs. Parts of the hotel are being renovated and the hotel is a little dated. But the housekeeping service was flawless. And the location is perfect. Will return in the fall.

Room Tip: The a/c isn't the strongest and opening windows on the street side is an invitation for noise al...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Valenciennes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is a perfect hotel! The rooms are big and very clean, they are cleaned every morning. The staff is very helpful and gentle, especially Esra who is is the guest relation manager and who helped us several times to find our way. Finally, the breakfast is perfect with a large choice and opened at least till 10:30 am.
This is a great hotel and I will go back there if I want to return to Istanbul someday.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sultanahmet. Clean. Toiletries, tea/coffee plentiful; substantial breakfast. Pleasant staff. Great view of Marmara from restaurant right on top, which has excellent food and is open all day (closes at 11 at night). Minibar stocked. within walking distance of Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi, Cistern and tram lines. In spite of Ramazan, the place was quiet, even after Iftar (breaking of fast). Lots of shopping close to the hotel. Carpets etc in main shops and souvenir stalls aplenty in the Hagia Soia-Blue Mosque square. Very safe to travel by train, tram, bus, and taxi, even at midnight. I was a senior citizen travelling alone and was utterly at peace during my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are especially quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's difficult to give this hotel any more than 2 out of 5 due to several reasons.

We stayed here for 3 nights in July 2014 and paid £82 per night for the privilege.

Pros:

Service from staff was very good. They were helpful, attentive and some spoke very good English like the guest relation staff member. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff it seemed.
Location of hotel is second to none. You can walk to all the main attractions from the hotel within 10-15 minutes. There are also plenty of food and drink options along the street ranging from international cuisine to Turkish fare.
Little shops selling everything are also close by. If you need to stock up on beer 6 lira in the little shops is the price for 500ml bottles of Efes.
Roof terrace with excellent views of the surrounding area and sea views.
Breakfast has a good choice of food, but that's as far as it goes.
Lobby, reception and restaurant area very pleasant.

Cons:
Room was very pokey and out dated. The photos are very misleading when it comes to the rooms.
View from the window was not that of the City as promised, but of a rooftop seating area that was used by local people living next door. It was very untidy and meant we had to keep our curtains closed as they frequented the area for their own pleasure.
Noise from other room next door could be heard through the bathroom vents very clearly as the walls are paper thin in there...not a nice experience.
Breakfast had a good choice but some of the choice was somewhat questionable. The scrambled eggs for example were terribly under cooked and cold every morning.
Upon leaving or entering the hotel, the restaurant staff member outside the hotel who is there to drum up business for the restaurant would badger us to eat in the hotels restaurant. We had to remind him every time we walked by him that we were resident which was followed by a quick apology - most annoying!
Air con pointless as it just blew out warm air. we left it on for hours and it made no difference!

Overall, would I recommend anyone stay here... well it is difficult to say. It is quite expensive and you don't get a great deal in return for your cash apart from location and service. There may be better options elsewhere for the money, I don't know.

I don't think I would stay here again if I were to return to Istanbul - I would look in the same area for other accommodation, but the Byzantium is well and truly off my recommended list!

2.2/5

Room Tip: I would stay clear of booking the economy rooms - the are in the basement with no windows!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Byzantium Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!