“Pleasant stay ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Istanbul Sydney Hostel

Save Saved
You added Istanbul Sydney Hostel to your Saves list
Istanbul Sydney Hostel
Cankurtaran Mah. Akbiyik Cad. No:42 Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey (Sultanahmet - Old City)   |
Ranked #255 of 764 Specialty lodging in Istanbul
“Pleasant stay ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Staff were helpful and friendly, room was fine. Breakfast was good, the terrace is lovely! Best breakfast location. They are a pick up point for the shuttle bus to the airport which is really handy. Make sure you have Turkish lira other wise using euro means you pay more!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Chiavari, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've spent just 3 days in Istanbul...too much little time to visit this amazing city! but we managed to see almost all the mayor attractions also thanks to the closeness of the hostel to the center of the city...it is just behind the Aya Sophia and Blue Mosquea...you can reach all the best places in just 5 min walking! My room was very clean and the staff so kind and to all our requests and give some tips where to eat, what visiting and what to do!
the breack fast was good and wi -fi was almost everywhere...so I can say great value of money!

Room Tip: Ho riservato una stanza doppia con il mio ragazzo con bagno in camera...la consiglio perchè era molt...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here on my own in an 8 bed dorm, and was then joined by friends and moved to a private room with double and a single bed.

The staff were so helpful and inviting, and while they had limited foreign language knowledge between them (not a worry for me, but very difficult for an Italian woman in my dorm) they were eager to assist and very friendly.

The dorm was pretty average, with an air conditioner than started spitting out ice onto one of the other guests at 4 in the morning, and the shared bathroom on that floor was quite run down with a broken shower door and shower head. The shower door would have been quite easy to fix, just needing 3 screws, and I actually fixed the shower head myself as it was annoying me so much.

When I moved upstairs to the private room, it was a different story all together. The room was well equipped and the private ensuite was clean and functional. The air conditioning also worked perfectly, and was a god-send in the middle of Summer! Both rooms had clean, fresh bedding and the private room provided towels.

Complimentary breakfast (pretty basic but with a fabulous variety of teas) is served on their great roof terrace that looks out over the street and the water beyond. You can't BYO but they have alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks for purchase and they kept me well supplied in cups of tea (which they kept declining to charge me for??).

They have free wifi with great coverage (I could still access it on a restaurant terrace a few streets away) and have 2 old computers connected to the internet downstairs (only one of which was working when I was there). They were also more than happy to let me print out airline boarding passes and other bits and pieces I needed.

All in all I'd say it was fair for what I paid, which the few run down facilities more than made up for by the warm and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The bathroom on the lower floor with the 8 bed shared dorm is a bit run down, so aim for a room on o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

It was what you need in a hostel. Above average for the area. Friendly staff. Speak english well enough. Close to bkue mosque. A street with a fun vibe. Wifi in rooms was a huge plus. I also enjoyed the great breakfasts that were included.

• Stayed June 2013
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

In Sultanahmet, just a few minutes from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia, two of the world's greatest architectural achievements, it's not difficult to find a place to sleep. We selected Sydney Hostel because we had stayed here before and we're so happy we did! Our triple room was adequately large, en suite, with a window looking out to the walls of the old city. The rooms facing the street have more lively views but facing the back is quieter.The hostel is a narrow 5 story walk up building so a flight of stairs leads to the lobby and the rooftop terrace is a climb but well worth the effort! The views of the Bosphorus are awesome and so is the buffet breakfast served every morning! The crew of young men who manage and operate the hostel are efficient and friendly and we're all friends now, especially Beethoven, the owner/manager. The hostel is surrounded by cafes so finding a great place to eat is as easy as stumbling out the door! The surrounding streets are packed with shops of all sorts and the shops of nearby Arasta Bazaar offer some of the best folk art products Turkey has to offer. We had a lovely stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montblanc, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good location near Blue Mosque, they also sell food and water pipe and are very helpful people.
We were a big group (10 people), so we filled one room, the service was good and the people were friendly, the building not so new but the showers, beds and A/C were in good condition.

Room Tip: Book a whole room and fill it with friends ;)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My main gripe is with Beethoven (not sure if the correct Turkish spelling of his name but that's how it's pronounced) - who is one of the many cousins that run/own the place.

First night staying here he followed me in the middle of the night up to the top terrace. At first I thought he was just being friendly until he kept trying to grab my hand and pulling me down to sit next to him on the lounge. He then offered me free raki - mind you this was at 4am.
He kept insisting I drink it and was extremely pushy and touchy even though I told him I had a boyfriend who's travelling with me. I was disgusted to say the least. Though was polite as I didn't want to cause problems with the owners in case he damaged our things when we're not at the hostel.

We stayed in a 6 bed dorm. Whenever he was doing his shift, he would rudely, without knocking, march into our room and start barging into our conversations. Mostly he made racist comments about difference races in general, in particular Indians, a pakistani UN captain who we became very close with in our dorm, and at one point he was saying there's a black man staying at the hostel upstairs and we should all look at him as he's so black - he made the man sound like some kind of animal in a zoo! I was also extremely offended when he augued I'm not Australian even though I've an Australian passport - I'm of Asian decent but grew up my whole life I Sydney, when ppl say I'm not Australian it's quite upsetting.

On our last day at the hostel he offered us to book the night boat cruise through him at 70EUR per person. We declined knowing we could get a better deal at a travel agent recommended by a friend. After booking our cruise at 50EUR per person we went back to the hostel where we bumped into him and all his cousins/mates on the terrace. He tried to get me to sit next to him again and again I declined. When he found out we already booked our night cruise for that evening he got angry, questioning why we didn't book through him. We said we got a better deal at 50EUR and he proceeded to claim that's exactly what he offered us in the morning, an outright lie!!!

The day before I had purchased a bottle of white wine through their bar at 40TL, which I didn't finish. I asked for them to get it for me out of the fridge. Beethoven yells out to me from his table that this is the last time he will allow me to drink at the hostel. I l questioned where am I meant to drink my wine if I bought it at the bar?! He kept saying very rudely and aggressively that only wines purchased on site is allowed at the hostel. I told him the wine was purchased from his bar and this was just the left over from the day before. I never brought anything on site from outside. He just looked away and didn't eve apologise!!!!! Then turned around to all his friends talking in Turkish, I knew they were talking about me because they all turned around and gave me dirty looks.

We were worried about our things all night on the boat cruise, in case he did anything but luckily everything was in tact when we returned. We packed up and left first thing in the morning.

What a horrible experience!

I must say that If it weren't for Beethoven, my review would have been much more positive. All other staff (his cousins) were so helpful and friendly, though didn't speak much English which is no big deal, they made us feel very welcome and were attentive/responsive to any requests. Whilst the rooms were very run down and dirty, and the bathroom smelt like mould, for what we paid it was quite reasonable. The upstairs terrace was great for relaxing and having a drink. Location wise you're in the centre of it all so a plus in terms of site seeing but not so great for budget travellers as all the shops and cafes charge you 4 times what you would pay just slightly outside of that area.

I don't think anyone should be made to feel unsafe, harassed, anxious and victimised. But especially if you're a paying customer!!!!!

We will make sure all our friends who go travelling in Istanbul steer away from this place. Especially girls.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Istanbul Sydney Hostel? Share your experiences!