“Unimpressive and Pricey” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Changa

Changa
Siraselviler Cad. No. 47 Taksim, Istanbul, Turkey (New City / Taksim)
251 7064
Neighborhood: New City / Taksim
London
“Unimpressive and Pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Aesthetically Changa looks great. However the food doesn’t match.
I had so many great meals whilst in Istanbul, (Imbat was one of my personal favourites) but I am not sure how they can justify the cost at Changa - especially when places like Imbat are producing delicious food for a third of the price, in amazing settings.
I started off with the Asparagus with Pomegranate Reduction and Feta. The feta had been grilled into a crisp – but it was just chewy and unpleasant. The reduction on the Asparagus was overwhelming. The asparagus was drowning in it.
Went for the slow cooked lamb for my main course….. with stuffed vine leaf. If you like a plate of brown food with yoghurt dolloped on it then you are in for a treat! It tasted fine, but it was small, visually unappealing and needed some kind of fresh vegetable accompaniment. I wish I had taken a photograph to illustrate this dish – but I think I was so unimpressed, my camera stayed firmly in my bag.
For dessert – I basically chose an Eaton Mess. It was pleasant.
Basically what I am trying to say is that this restaurant in no way WOWs you, and for the price (considering how reasonable the prices generally are in Istanbul) this was a bit of a waste of money for myself and partner. If I am paying these prices, I want to get the wow factor.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Oslo
“Expensive, but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I tried the tasting menu (11 small dishes), and it was expensive, but very tasty (145 lira/80USD). One of us tried the seabass, and it was not as tasty, but still very good, and set us back around 60 lira/35USD.

I guess I was expecting slightly more from a restaurant from the Top 50 restaurants in the world-list, but it is a very nice place.

Visited February 2013
“Excellent Fusion Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Changa for Valentine's Day during our recent visit to Istanbul. They only had the set menu and all the dishes were very simple but excellent. Even the simple smoked goat cheese with olive oil for spreading on bread showed the thoughts and top quality ingredients that went into it. Service was attentive but not intrusive. We told the waiter to slow down the serving and he happily obliged so we had a really enjoyable and romantic 6-course meal over 3 hours. We have decided to go back and try their a la carte food for our next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Service with a Sneer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I was so looking forward to trying this restaurant during my visit to the Sakip Sabanci Museum. Sadly, I was put off by the sneering waiter. Perhaps it was because I was a solo diner. Who knows?

I ordered the grilled meatballs, which were served with bulgar pilaf and eggplant in a yogurt dressing. The eggplant was absolutely delicious. The meatballs were no better than those you can get all over Istanbul for 1/3 the price.

The setting is lovely. Even though the food and service were not great, I appreciated the break during my tour of the museum.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Istanbul, Turkey
“Excellent Fusion Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Excellent food, I tasted the most delicious aubergine I've ever eaten. You can get an amazing 'slow food' in this restaurant. Highly recomended.

• Visited January 2013