“Good hotel reasonable rate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Colombo City Hotel

You added Colombo City Hotel to your Saves list
Colombo City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   33 Canal Row | Fort Colombo 01, Colombo 00100, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #51 of 80 Colombo B&B and Inns
Phuket, Thailand
“Good hotel reasonable rate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Good hotel reasonable rate.but we check out from there staying 1night there since our interest was to move into a hotel located in peacfull area.I mean busy.middle of colombo is very busy with businesses and people.staying in a colombo city hotel was not our interest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed there from 13th till 16th of September. Because of Cricket World Cup all the hotels in Colombo were full booked and I had to stay there. They charged me and my colleague for a twin room 96USD, which is not cheap.
The first we got, was bad. They changed it, but the second room was dirty. Bath room was full with hairs. I had to say 3 times, what to do is.
Personal unprofessional. Breakfast just bad.
Summary : DO NOT GO THERE!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Panadura, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I went there yesterday with couple of my friends for dinner after a movie. Following is the experience :
1. We requested the beverages ordered to be chilled, but it was served normal and the waiter said that it is chilled (probably has a neural malfunction). We had to ask for ice and then only he brought it.
2. Fried Rice was half cooked and tasted like dirt.
3. Fish dish smelled like it was not washed and cooked did not taste fresh.
4. French fries smelled the same as the fish. probably they fried it in the same oil.
5. Took a very long time to deliver the food.

Room Tip: Do not go to this place to enjoy food.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It was mostly good, but some things bothered me - their breakfast, and their lift. The former was a bit shabby, and the latter - smelly! The room however, was just right. We were on a budget, and it was rather good, with a view of Sri Lanka's World Trade Center, and a bit of the sea. The rooftop also offers a good view of the Gall Face Promenade - very close from there. Also, its just by the Dutch Hospital where you can spend hours with people you love.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Okayama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here one night and their filtered water (they assured me it wa ssafe) made me so sick I couldn't leave the room. The room was noisy with a constant tapping of rain water (the manager knew of the problem in room 412 but despite there being other empty rooms they gave me the room anyway), the shower floor was 2cm deep like a pool (he knew this too), the room smelled awful and the airconditioner did not work. Stay here ONLY if you have no other choice. I gave it one point because I couldn't give it minus.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room 412
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

So we got picked up from the airport on time and someone was half awake to take us to our room, the sheets and towels were clean and the bed was fine. The curtains block out the light well.
I had read the reviews on trip advisor so I was expecting the worst so you could say we knew what was coming.
The room is shabby and is desperately in need of a refurb. Tired dirty walls, dirty lampshades, a fan that goes like a helicopter or not at all and the bathroom though adequately sized had several curly black hairs stuck in various places.
In all rather what we had in mind, though one thing did take us by surprise and that was the bizarre music playing through the bedroom ceiling speaker controlled from reception. Turns out you have a master control in the room to disable it so do, unless you like a bit of dirty dancing or under the sea music at top volume at 8 am. It is noisy too with people wandering up and down the corridor all morning clattering about.
The reception is strange, it's just a desk with clutter all around it, none of the card keys appear to have room numbers and the receptionist stuck a bit a masking tape on ours and wrote the room number on it
In all an absolute rip off but we booked last minute and just couldn't find anything else available taking online bookings. Don't do it unless you really have to!
Oh if you like us end up being forced to stay here- don't get the airport pickup as getting a metered taxi from the airport is much cheaper- by 50% in fact, (should be 2250r, rather than 25us$ that we paid).
Oh one thing that was quite good was that I left something in the room and they found it and kept it for me for when I came back to Colombo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Good location and clean room. But in my opinion the hotel gives low value for the price, compared to other Sri Lanka hotels I have stayed in. When we needed help from the hotel staff, they were unfriendly and not at all interested in giving us any service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colombo City Hotel? Share your experiences!