“Pure disaster” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Colombo
Bangkok, Thailand
“Pure disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a business trip, while I was familiarizing myself with the market on budget hotels. First of all, this hotel is not budget, it still charges 100$ a night.

I arrived late after a long day at work. So all I wanted was my room in a hurry. Took them about 20min for the check-in. Great impression. It appeared to me that no one at the reception knew what they were doing. There were about 5 people at the desk at the same time but the ineffectiveness they had achieved, I had never seen before. And I stay in a lot of hotels. They must be the most effective hotel team on earth.

Then they brought me to the room. This building must have been built as apartments and not a hotel. The rooms are so tiny and very poorly furnished. Staying at that room felt so depressing that I had to drink a bottle of wine just to pass out.

I woke early and checked out at around 7am before having my breakfast. I cannot judge the breakfast but I really did not want to try. During check-out there was the same issue. No one knew what they were doing. Took them another 15min by when I lost my nerves. I booked through my agent which had paid for the hotel, but because they took so long I paid it myself so I could finally leave this place of horror.

The best thing was this: One of the older guys at the reception said he used to work at Hilton before. Wonder why he is not working there anymore.

Don't even think of this place. I went straight back to the Taj and stayed there. I had enough of bad hotels...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our group stayed here on our last night in two doubles and a triple room. Had a few problems. The two couples in our group were shown to a two bedroom hotel apartment on the 9th floor city side. Good, big basic rooms with living room, balcony, kitchen and even a maids room and bathroom. Then the three of us were shown to a room next door which was small and dark with no external window, and very cramped with a double and single bed - lovely. It all worked out in the end as it turned out this room had a connecting door with the apartment which someone finally found a key for and opened so one of the couples in our party took this double, the single bed was moved to the living room and two of us took the twin. It shouldn't have been rocket science for us to have been given a three bedroom apartment in the first place. The rooms smelt musty but housekeeping aired them and after the ac started up, were fine. Great view from the top floor roof garden in the morning. Can't comment on food as I didn't eat breakfast but the tea/coffee tray provided in the kitchen needed a round pin socket which I couldn't find anywhere in the apartment, had to use my travel adaptor, all the sockets were square pin! Room keys an issue as only one given to our group, when we requested more they said duplicates wouldn't work and we would have to be let into our rooms by security if needed! Probably not stay here again.

Stayed November 2013
Milazzo, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

No wonder why it's been voted the great hotel. Simply the best in every aspect. They treat you like royalty and the room and amenities are fantastic. I am so glad we got to stay here, it completely changed our experience. They have thought of every detail of your stay. The rooms, the pool, and the hotel... so beautiful that you won't want to leave. This hotel definitely set the bar high for any other hotel I will stay at in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a surprise for us as we expected two separate rooms for us but instead got two bedroom apartment. but the location was great. Rooms had sea facing balconies so it was beautiful scene every time. This was the best thing in hotel. Rooms were okay. TV in living hall not in rooms. so have to share same program. Fridge/Oven in kitchen. But for tea and coffee maker we had to call the reception. No free wi fi in room. Breakfast was good. rest things were good. Will stay here again but with family not for business purposes. for family stay this is best hotel in that rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rumzi S, Manager at Global Towers Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your encouraging review of Global Towers Hotel.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the hotel rooms, its facilities, as well as the breakfast buffet. We very much appreciate your compliments to the Hotel & team. they do indeed work hard to ensure the comfort of all our guests.

We look forward to welcome you & your family to Global Towers Hotel,
and to experience our warm & friendly hospitality service at all times .

Thank you.

Manager Sales
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've stayed one night before I've left Sri Lanka and the room I've stayed in was a mess! An old TV with a broken receiver, a fridge leaking water, no mini bar, dirty floor... When i called the reception to change my room, they said the hotel was fully booked which was a lie. Because the room next to me (a larger and clean one with LCD TV) was empty and the door was open. The next morning it was still available.
Also the breakfast was really weak and slow.

Room Tip: Avoid the room 201C
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for an apartment to stay in Colombo and my cousin recommended Global Towers. Having no real knowledge of the hotel and only what others were saying in Trip Adviser I was a little concerned but in fact my family and I had a very relaxing and comfortable stay at this hotel. We were in Room 506 which is a 3 bedroom apartment with 3 ensuite bathrooms, a living/dining area and separate kitchen. The beds were clean and very comfortable and bathrooms to a high standard for fittings and very clean. The kitchen had 4 plate cooker, oven, microwave, washer/dryer, fridge/freezer, and kettle. The living are had three sofas, dining table with 6 chairs. All rooms had view on to balcony over looking Marine Drive and on to the beach front. Fantastic views. The A/C was in all room and was excellent. Each room had separate contorts for A/C so it was easy to feel comfortable and each bedroom also had a ceiling fan. The house keeping staff were excellent and very responsive to any needs. Sheets, towels, tea, coffee, 3 litres bottled water were provided daily and room was swept and cleaned. Room service was excellent and very good value. Rs1500 can get you very tasty food. Just outside hotel is Yacht Cabin. It's part of the hotel but very reasonable and delicious food. Hoppers are only Rs 20 and Egg Hoppers are Rs 40 and chicken or fish curry Rs 250. Fantastic value. Staff were very helpful and considerate as we had a disabled son in a wheel chair and they were so kind to him. One thing to improve on is that there is no wi-fi in the room but it is free downstairs in lobby and restaurant. The charges for wi-fi in room were $7 for 8 hours. Too expensive. Apart from this I would highly recommend the hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with good facilities which included a fully equipped kitchen. Good location about 5 km from the city centre and beach facing. There are good restaurants within walking distance. There was a little bit of a smell when we entered but once the ac was turned on it did not bother us. The toiletries were rubbish, you are better of using your own stuff. There were some glitches with the cards used to enter the room and only one card was issued per room which is a bit of hassle if you are in a group.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Global Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!