“Good rooms in central location - but room service limited for vegetarians” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renuka City Hotel

You added Renuka City Hotel to your Saves list
Renuka City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   328 Galle Road | Colombo 3, Colombo, Sri Lanka (Formerly Hotel Renuka)   |
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Colombo
Dorset
“Good rooms in central location - but room service limited for vegetarians”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The rooms in Renuka are large, well laid out and comfortable. However the roof top pool is tiny and the space around it also seems quite limited (although it never seemed crowded). Staff were helpful and friendly. My main recommendation would be to put more options for vegetarians on the room service menu; I stayed for several nights and found it very limited. There's a great Indian restaurant though just across the road and behind the bank - with lots of vegetarian options. Ask for rooms away from Galle Road if you want a bit more peace and quiet. My view was just the windows of the opposite Renuka block (and it felt a bit overlooked so mostly I kept curtains closed) but it was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was my second stay here, it is an excellent hotel for a business stay with good laundry facilities and a reliable wifi connection. The pool and bar on the roof are a very welcome addition - excellent for watching the sunset.

The restaurant food is good and all the staff are helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the city wing at the back of the hotel if you like peace and quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked the old wing by mistake and the room looked like it was straight off a thai horror movie (think poor lighting and eerie atmosphere).

So we requested a change to the new wing (With a 15sgd top-up) and we were so glad with our decision. the room is very well furnished, mordern and clean. The porter was very friendly and offered useful tips to the city. (For info, the manager informed that they will be refurbishing the old wing soon.)

In terms of location, the establishment is great, and is conveniently located near eateries and shopping.

The infinity pool at the rooftop was very charming, and you should certainly try it.

Room Tip: Pick a room with the new wing (Renuka City)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We had read a number of reviews, and were not expecting too much-but we're pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It may be slightly expensive, but comparable with other Colombo hotels. We booked a room in the old wing and thought we may end up in a smoke tainted dated room, however our room was fresh and came with TV, room safe, toiletries, tea making, good AC, good shower.
Staff were really helpful. Having a drink near the roof top pool watching the sun set over the Indian Ocean was a bonus.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Hello everyone..
Its a good hotel..but while booking the rooms keep in mind,they have 2wings,one is older one,another newer..we got our room in old wing..staffs r very good.,but the room was vry average..lifts also have a particular bad odour..:-(

Food wise-if u r non-veg u can stand their menu..but if u r veg u will b disheartened..vry limited option.dont waste ur precious money here.
Food is vry costly..if u hv enough money then better go in Taj..
But if u r a economic one or ghar ka khana miss karney types.then u go for road side cafe.they serve fresh veg foods/south indian foods.As I m a North Indian veg food lover,but at times cant get it.,simply ask for Plain DOSAI(dosa),it will satisfy ur taste bud.Be vry particular when u asking for Tea..what we call lemon tea in india,they simply know Plain tea,so be specific in asking for Milk tea.
Generally if u r 30-45 min away from Airport u negotiate with the cab driver in 2500/-INR(including 300/- toll tax)
They r so many small things to share..its a beautiful country to go with good people,u always get beautiful smiles..
Most imp even Srilankan Police is vry cordial while assisting Tourist.
All the best for srilankan tour:-)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sajeewa P, Manager at Renuka City Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for writing your review.
The 58 rooms in the Renuka City wing have been recently refurbished with all the latest amenities. The 41 rooms in the old Renuka wing will be newly refurbished by the end of the year with all the modern facilities.
Our restaurant the Palmyrah serving authentic Sri Lankan cuisine has been world renowned for over 40 years. We have an extensive vegetarian selection on the menu. The Palmyrah restaurant is a trip advisor certificate of excellence 2013 winner. Please try our cashew nut curry and brinjal pahi next time. They are two of our vegetarian favorites.
I hope you will visit us again and try the full range of services we have to offer at Renuka City Hotel.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel failed to impress from the moment I arrived. As I was arriving in Colombo very late at night I arranged airport transfers with the hotel. I was expecting to be whisked away from the airport by a crisply dressed driver in a comfortable town car instead I was met by a host dressed in polo shirt and jeans who could not be bothered to walk with me out of the arrivals hall and simply waved in the direction where he said the driver and car would be waiting. The car turned out to be a tired looking minibus.

The lobby of the hotel is far from impressive and clerk at the front desk could barely be bothered to greet me when I arrived. He shoved some forms toward me and indicated that I should fill them out. The hotel room management system is not computerised and it took a while to find the booking for my room. The room I was allocated was nothing like what I had booked (I booked a deluxe with king bed and got a standard room with twin beds). When I complained I was told that there were no double beds available, when I insisted that was unacceptable I was shown a room the size of a broom closet with a small double bed which I declined. I ended up pushing the narrow twin beds together as there was barely room to turn over without rolling out of bed.

The room looked reasonably clean at first glance, but after taking off my shoes and walking on the floor boards the soles of my feet soon turned black. I stayed 2 nights and no stage was my room cleaned or made up. I had to ask the clerk at the fount desk to get the drinking water replenished.

The bathroom offers few amenities. There is a shower and no tub. Face washers and hand towels are not included in the linen provided. There was just 2 small, thin towels and a bath mat a bar of soap and a tube of shampoo, bath gel and body lotion. The thoughtful array of toiletries usually provided in up market hotels was no where to be found.

My room rate include breakfast. The breakfast buffet had a limited range of foods on offer. Eggs & bacon were available on request.

I expected a lot better from a hotel promoting itself as having a four star rating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Please understand that we do not guarantee a king or double room. They are given only on availability, which was informed to you when you made the booking.
We have a daily breakfast buffet that serves a full American breakfast with many Eastern options and Sri Lankan specialities at a very reasonable price.
Regarding your other issues, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused and we are looking into your complaints and we will rectify same.
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed for one night. Rooms were big enough & clean. Location is good and the staff were helpful. Breakfast is rich and tasty. There is a pool on the roof's floor which is very close to a collection of several large cellular aerials . Beware to stay there too much time.................

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new section of the hotel !
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sajeewa P, Manager at Renuka City Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff. We always try to provide the best facilities and service possible in our price range. We look forward to seeing you again soon at Renuka City Hotel.

Been to Renuka City Hotel? Share your experiences!