“Do not recommend to friends” 3 of 5 stars

You added Grand Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Oriental Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2, York Street, Colombo 1, Colombo, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Colombo
“Do not recommend to friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed there for 3 days there with my boss during our business trip. It was may. Very big lobby and staff willing to cooperate. However I found quite a few mosquitoes in room and ac was noisy. Bathroom clean but there was no force in shower. Old hotel with good explanation of its history in lobby. Small bed no satellite tv channel & dirty rooms. 96 dollar with breakfast expensive choice. Breakfast excellent with harbour view. I do not recommend it. Ramesh parajuli from Nepal

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The only thing Grand about this hotel was the name!. The air conditioning in my room did not work, the shower recess flooded the bathroom and when I put my laundry out it did not all come back. The hotel staff did not try to locate the laundry items and sent three men to my room to obtain a description of the lost underwear. The hotel was not clean and there were small piles of dirt in various locations. The food was very ordinary. The hotel was large and the lifts way too small. In an emergency such as a fire it would be bedlam. Fortunately I was able to find alternate accommodation for the remainder of my stay in Columbo. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone - if you must stay there - do your own laundry and take gum boots for when you shower!

Room Tip: There is no pool and I didn't see a fitness centre??
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

GOH is probably the oldest hotel in Colombo. If you love nostalgia, it`s the right place to stay. Even Chehov stayed in that place.
But..GOH needs definitely refurbishment!!! Especially bad rooms. I stayed 3times in GOH and always were the same case with bad rooms : quite old and not 100% clean.
Since the hotel was used to be a barrack for the British army most of the rooms are quite big. Generally it is quite loud in the hotel.
Staff is not so professional.
The single room price( 96 USD incl. breakfast) is a little bit to high for this hotel. But I guesssince all the other hotels in Colombo are much more expensive, the GOH Management dont see any need to change it.
Harbour Room, where you can have breakfast, lunch, dinner is the best part of the hotel. Very nice view to harbour.
Summary : if you stay only for 1 or 2 nights, it is ok.

PS: No swimming pool.But all the rooms have air condition.

Room Tip: 308, 316 are quite big.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

On a recent vacation trip to Sri Lanka, my tour agent had made bookings for my group of 8 at the Grand Oriental Hotel, Upon arrival at about 9.30pm, we were met by a bellhop who refused to help carry our luggage. The staff at the reception were so rude and unfriendly. Though we were booked into the new wing, the staff refused to provide us rooms there. Instead we were shown rooms at the old wing which had heavy cigarette and liquor stench, old furniture, a noisy air-conditioner and the list can go on. No progress even after our tour agent had spoken with the Manager. When we turned down the old wing rooms, the Manager told us curtly that we could leave.
Fortunately, our tour agent made alternative arrangements at The Hilton where we had a wonderful stay.
I strongly advise anyone visiting Colombo to give the Grand Oriental Hotel a miss. Don't be fooled by what is written on their website.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A old hotel in Colombo but great! Fantastic Rooms! Great staff. Having stayed in the Deluxe room we enjoyed our stay in the Grand Oriental Hotel! The only disadvantage was that there was no channel to watch Euro 2012 and you'd have to go to watch in Hilton! other than that everything else was very nice! I really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

A dump is what I would call it. Spent one night and then ran away to Ramada in Colombo. I landed by the early morning flight from Mumbai and reached the hotel at 6 am. They gave me a room saying use this room till 10 am as all rooms are full. The room was terrible. A small bed, shower churning out water drop by drop... Everything that could go wrong was wrong here. And to think it was USD 96 for a night. Whatever other reviewers may have said, I would say just don't go there. Avoid like plague.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Krefeld, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We arrived here after a flight from the maldives, and the hotel is in very british style.
The room was spacious and the bed really comfortable!
Right in front of the hotel there have been always drivers to you from a to b for very small money... (Never pay more than 350Rupees!)

We had breakfast the next day and it was really really nice, with fresh fruits and coffee...

Would definitaly stay here again, but if you´re more that kind of person that needs only a bed to sleep, I would recommed otheres.
One for example is Hotel Sairas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!