“Perfect location, perfect service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of City Motel

You added City Motel to your Saves list
City Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   128, Old Moor Street, Colombo, Sri Lanka (Formerly CityRest Motel)   |
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Colombo
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, perfect service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Had one night in Colombo before early train to Kandy in the morning. Located 5 mins from the station it was perfect for early morning 'commute'. Place is clean and quiet. However, it is the hospitality and professionalism of the young owner/manager Eshan that cements it's position. I have had lesser experiences in leading hotels around the world and can't recommend enough. Already given heads up to colleague visiting in Feb.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Solag
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Located in Pettah, which by day is a bustling marketplace in a good location to access the rest of Colombo or get to the Colombo Fort Railway Station and Bus Station, City Rest Motel is a small, budget-friendly place that puts an emphasis on the "friendly".

We reserved a triple room to crash in after our flight which arrived at midnight. I was thankful for the 24-hour check in when we got to the motel after 2:00AM and right away the staff unlocked the main door and set us up in our room. Every single staff member was kind and full of smiles, even though we woke them up in the middle of the night. We were tired after 44 hours of travel and the kindness of the staff was just what we needed to end our journey on a cheerful note.

Though this is probably not the place to stay if you're looking for "atmosphere" within a hotel, City Rest is a safe, cheap place that's best for travelers who want to spend more time exploring than hanging out in their room. That said, I'm hanging out in my room as I write this and I'm comfortable. With cold showers and fans, the rooms provide what you really need and not much more. The beds are comfy enough and the linens are clean. There are a few cobwebs in the corners of the tall ceilings, the paint could use some touch-up in spots and I saw a one-inch gecko in the shower: none of which bothers me. I would not want to eat anything off the bathroom floor but in general the place is clean enough. Everything in our room works properly. I have my computer charging in the wall outlet that converts standard plugs from most countries. Outside, the street market is in full swing but I don't hear constant street noise. I can only faintly hear than the occasional rooster cawing or horn honking (welcome to Colombo) despite my room being on the ground floor very near the front of the hotel. The staff themselves do a great job of keeping the hotel quiet while guests are sleeping.

The City Rest Motel is comparable in quality to many other budget hotels I've stayed in throughout Asia and India, including similarly-priced hotels across Sri Lanka. The outstanding staff make it easy to smile as you come and go with ease.

I recommend City Rest to single travelers, groups of friends or couples who are looking for a reasonably priced, safe hotel room in Colombo.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor and it was pretty quiet in our room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nicosia, Cyprus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The place is like a warehouse, the walls don't reach the ceiling! Consequently noise travels and there is a lot of noise! There are no proper windows just a grid from where ANIMALS can enter, and did enter. We met some little creepy lizards in the shower, which btw is DISGUSTING! Everything is very dirty! The shower is filthy and you dont want to touch anything! JUST AVOID and recommend others to do so. There is no breakfast included but dont think I would want to eat there! Is not so cheap and the ceiling fan is very slow ! If there was 'below zero' rating I would use it!

Room Tip: DONT GO There! JUST DONT GO! YOU WILL DEFIINATELY REGRET IT. I suggested it to be added on TripAdvis...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We knew we would be arriving into Colombo quite late at night so booked City Rest Motel for one night so we didn't have to worry when we arrived. It was not the cheapest compared to other places we stayed at in Sri Lanka & it was just a real hole!
Basically its like a big corridor with sectioned off 'rooms' that are just like cardboard partitions that don't even reach the ceiling so you can hear everyone else & see their lights etc. It was so, so dirty & just felt like you were going to catch something. I am in no way a snobby traveler but this was just pushing my boundaries! Our cardboard 'wall' had massive holes in in, the beds have really suspicious looking stains & there were bugs & moths flying all over the ceiling as soon as you put on the light.
The location is not so bad, its down a fascinating little street that is not at all touristy & people will stare at you but we found if you just smiled & said hello then they did the same & were merely inquisitive.
The following day we found a MUCH better option, I can't remember the name now annoyingly but its right opposite the train station, its a pub & they have rooms above which are really nice & clean & really reasonably priced. Plus the guy who owns the pub & rooms is a really nice guy. There are not many pubs so it should be easy to find...it had swing doors *like country & western style!) into the main pub off the street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Motel? Share your experiences!