“Be prepared to pay” 1 of 5 stars

Singapore, Singapore
63 attraction reviews
“Be prepared to pay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was fascinating by the beautiful photos of this Mosque from a travel magazine, and I was so expecting to visit here.

When we got into the Mosque, we were told to cover with scarf in order to visit inside. Men and Women are separated in different areas for praying. So if you come with your partner, be noted that you would have to visit inside separately.

For my side, ladies in the area seem so friendly and talkative. Well, most of them didn't really speak English but at least, they would show some welcoming smiles. I stayed like half hour something. I met my hubby at the entrance area to get change to our cloths.

When we were ready to leave, suddenly the women group and the men group came to us and asked for 'donation', we expected like 'entrance fee', so we gave, then we turned around to go, then some came to us to keep asking. I turned around and explained that we just gave, why would they still asking?

The horrible part wasn't here, followed by this prayers' group, there were brunches of women with their child sitting outside the Mosque and waiting for YOU. Everyone was asking you for money. The beginning I could still afford... but hey, I'm not a millionaire, our car and driver was helping us to get in the car a.s.a.p. The women and the child still hitting the window of the car and asking for money when we were leaving. Though I didn't understand their language, I could see from their faces full of anger and grievance, I asked our driver what they were trying to say? Our driver was just silent. He preferred not to tell us.

So this trip to visit the Mosque wasn't as pleasant as I expected. It wasn't just the people outside the Mosque freaking you out, but also the people inside...

Oh well, if you still want to visit this Mosque, be prepared to bring along lots of small money inside the pocket, cuz you need to pay!

Visited May 2013

Colombo, Sri Lanka
121 attraction reviews
“Famous mosque in the heart of Colombo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Situated centrally in Colombo 2 right next to the municipal council building where a large number of Muslims worship. Easily accessible from any part of the city and is very crowded most of the time.

Visited March 2013
Colombo
129 attraction reviews
“A 150 year old Mosque”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The history of the mosque is given on the site: http://lankabhumi.org/dewatagaha.htm

The area is busy on a weekday, but relatively quiet on weekends, specially Sundays. The Mosque does not seem to be maintained as tiny plants pop out of the minarets. Small shops in front and adjacent to it ruin the beauty of the mosque.

Visited April 2013
Unawatuna, Sri Lanka
10 attraction reviews
“Muslim Mosque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

One of the most important Muslim mosque near the Colombo Town Hall and Odel Mall. Often scene of demonstrations by Muslim citizenry in Colombo usually Pro-Arabic or anti-US.