“Hotel by the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Colombo
Mangalore, India
“Hotel by the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A great hotel by the ocean. Good buffet spread for breakfast. Rooms offer fantastic views of the ocean! Bylgari toiletries add to the luxuries. GalleFace Green adjacent to the hotel is a walkers delight.Beware of touts persuading you for sightseeing trips or buying gems at great discounts

Room Tip: Ocean facing room is the one to go for
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for your review on the hotel. It is indeed a pleasure to have been able to provide our service to you, and to see such a pleasant comment makes me feel triumphant.

Our staff will be delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the breakfast spread, the magnificent view, and our designer amenities.

We hope your next trip to The Kingsbury will be soon, as my team and I will be delighted to welcome you and ensure you continue to experience a fabulous say.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

When we received our room it was on the smoking floor which was totally unacceptable. Quick call and we were moved floors. Rang for cot . Quick reply and service.
Food in sports bar was just what we needed on arrival. Staff were friendly.

The wedding we attended at the hotel was superbly handled by hotel staff making the experience with a young baby enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, June 24, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Firstly, I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at The Kingsbury. Indeed, your response has elated our motivation towards improving our services to our valued guests.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Kingsbury, especially the food at the The Kings Bar and the service. I will convey your feedback on the wedding to the respective staff who provided you with the great service, who, I can assure you, will be delighted to hear this wonderful feedback.

We look forward to welcome you to The Kingsbury once again.

Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for one night; two rooms, with family. It was nice stay. I enjoyed swimming pool and nice sea view. The rooms are nice thought you can hear who is in walkway. My wife and I love the bed and how we had nice sleep.

Room Tip: It is good for short stay in your way out of the city to other cities. Overall, it is new hotel and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, June 21, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

My team and I are very pleased to hear your positive feedback of your stay at The Kingsbury. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the pool, sea view and the rooms.

We hope you plan another visit to The Kingsbury as we will be delighted to have you as our esteemed guest at a place where you can surely call home.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Kingsbury is very grand and well maintained. The staff are welcoming and helpful. When I could not connect easily to the Internet in my room someone came straight up and fixed it.

The food is very good in the Chinese restaurant and the breakfast buffet has a wide variety of options.

We only stayed for one night as we landed in Colombo and it was exactly what we were looking for. A calm, tranquil and impressive stay to get out of the busy streets of Colombo.

Not quite the ocean view I was hoping for (looked out mainly over the roof of part of the hotel) but we weren't too worried as it was only one night.

Thank you for such a comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Your review on the hotel was indeed pleasant and I was delighted to share it with my team as well. I take this opportunity to thank you for taking your time to share your feedback of your stay at The Kingsbury.

You have experienced the precise ingredients of hospitality that makes our hotel one-of-a-kind. Your recommendation on the view from the room have been taken into consideration to further develop the experience we offer our guests at The Kingsbury.

We hope you visit us again and, rest assured, your experience will be better than the last.

On behalf of the team,

Male, Maldives
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My and my wife, for the first time, stayed at The Kingsbury recently and it was just a marvelous experience. The rooms, the array of magnificent food (and its quality), the friendliness of its staff and the overall customer service was superb. Not to forget its location too is quite good. Although it's on the verge of becoming a full 5 Star, I hope and wish it would get even better!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, July 12, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Kingsbury with the TripAdvisor community. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Your comment on the service is indeed a motivator for my team and I to further develop on our standards in hospitality.

We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next trip to The Kingsbury.

Regards,
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had the privilege of enjoying a scrumptious and very tasty lunch at this hotel in the Harbour Room Restaurant. The variety was amazing from the soup, starters to the main course. It is definitely family oriented so its a place one can enjoy with all family. The location is another plus as looking out to the sea makes ones lunch all the more tastier. Definitely worth another visit

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

We appreciate your comments and feedback of your experience at The Kingsbury. We are glad that you enjoyed the food and experience. I will be sure to convey your positive feedback to our chefs and the rest of our staff at the hotel.

It is our goal to be positioned as the hotel of choice among our guests. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next visit to The Kingsbury.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Kingsbury is indeed sparkling new but perhaps too new for its own good. The service is terrible, starting with the check in desk - too my friend and I 30 minutes to check in whereas compared to the Cinnamon Grand, they make you sit and come to you to check you in!

Then we were checked in a small but nice room to find the safe not working (it was brand new yes, but useless because not working), the Wifi was not working either and they had put 1 strawberry, 2 grapes and 2 small apples as a welcome fruit basket - no word of a lie! with 1 fork. The room was obviously not ready to welcome 2 people but 1 as there was only 1 item of everything so basically, we had to share 1 bathrobe, 1 toothbrush, 1 pair of slippers and 1 body lotion between the 2 of us.
I called reception for the Wifi, housekeeping for the safe and to be provided with extra items to be told that someone would be straight up within 2 minutes - surprise surprise, nobody ever showed up.
I then called back to speak to the manager who again, told me he would be there in 2 minutes - 20 minutes later, still no one so I had to call back. The manager thinking his time was too valuable for me and my friend, decided to send another manager to try and sort everything out, by then, I had already spent 1 hour in my room just trying to sort all this mess out -- this is a 5* we are talking about here.
However, the manager who turned up listened to us and nicely enough, gave us another room on the 9th floor, the supposedly Executive floor where we could avail breakfast in the executive lounge and a round the clock dedicated buttler service.
After checking that everything was in order, we settled down. Since we only had 1 beer in the mini bar, we call housekeeping - our dedicated butler service - to bring us some but guess what? someone turned up only ages later.
No, that's not the end of it - Since we had to catch an early flight in the morning, we were told that breakfast would be ready from 06h30 am and were looking for a nice continental breakfast before leaving at 07h00 am.
To our surprise, indeed, breakfast was nowhere ready at 06h30 supposedly because someone had forgotten the pastries downstairs so we were politely told "sorry for the inconvenience" for the 10th time since we had arrived and told to go have breakfast on the 1st floor -- so basically, keep your extra cash you wanted to spend on the upgrade - not worth it (and the rooms are exactly the same as the other rooms!).
Check out was as similarly disastrous but not worth mentioning!
I would honestly recommend the Cinnamon GRAND 1 or 2 blocks away!!

The only good think I can say about the Kingsbury is its nice location next to the Old Dutch Hospital where you can have a good meal and a few drinks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, August 22, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay at The Kingsbury.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel, causing you a negative experience on the whole. I understand your frustration and assure you that the necessary measures have been taken to in order to rectify such happenings.

Hoping you would give us another chance to provide you much better service and a good experience at the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards,

Been to The Kingsbury? Share your experiences!