“Cleanest bathrooms, friendly staff, good price for Colombo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clock Inn Colombo

You added Clock Inn Colombo to your Saves list
Clock Inn Colombo
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   457 Galle Road | Colombo 03, Colombo 00300, Sri Lanka   |
“Cleanest bathrooms, friendly staff, good price for Colombo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I spent two nights in a single room and one night in a 4-bedded dorm. The hotel was very clean, especially the common bathrooms. Location is ok but not the best. Local train is a 10 minute walk away, buses and taxis can be found in front of the hotel. Staff was always friendly. I can recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! We are delighted to hear that you had a good time in our hostel. We hope that you had a great holiday in Sri Lanka, and hope to see you back again soon! Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Private rooms were fully booked so we opted for the dorm and were impressed! Spacious dorms with aircon and personal reading lights and power points for charging. Wifi throughout the building, though at times a bit temperamental. A decent brekky is included and reception staff were so helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your positive review! Nothing makes us happier than hearing our guests had a good time! We hope you had a great holiday in Sri Lanka, and hope to see you back soon! Happy Travels!
Flint, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this budget hotel for just two days in May 2013. The hotel lives up to it's promise of being a budget establishment, however they seriously need to tweak their staff's service delivery standards. Beginning with the manager Mr.Najmudeen. This man is not at all suited for the running of a hotel. He is rude, loud, stubborn and has no concept of discretion. Besides that he touts to guests the services of a rather shady van driver who lurks about the hotel entrance. It was only on the day of my departure that I found out that the hotel has its own van and driver. Owner please take note!! Also the entrance door to the hotel was wide open late one night when i got back and the young chap manning the reception fast asleep on the couch in the lounge....anyone could have made their way up to the dorms without being challenged.

The front office staff other than the manager are very helpful though their English language skills are not sufficient to even make a simple point clear. Other than my gripe about this shady and obnoxious manager and the communication barrier with the minor staff, the Clock Inn was a pleasant stay and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a clean, affordable, safe place to stay while in Colombo.

Room Tip: Get the lower bunk in the dorm rooms and insist they clean the room daily while you are present. Usu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Clock Inn Colombo for the bad experience you had with our front office manager. We promise you that all of our staff member's actions/behaviors are being reviewed and analyzed. We are going through CCTV footage and all guest feedback in order to improve the standard of our service. We assure that this sort of situation will not arise to you or any of our future guests. Our highest priority is to keep our guests as comfortable as possible at our Inn, and we promise to deliver that to our guests at all costs. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, and hope you had a great holiday in Sri Lanka. We hope that you get the opportunity to visit Clock Inn Colombo again.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good: Central location. New building. Modern rooms and décor. Free Wifi.

Bad: Indifferent, rude and argumentative staff, No lift in a 4 story hotel, bad odor in bathroom everyday, Towels are changed once in 2 days, No bathroom mat, No view (all windows are facing back of another building which is barely 4 meters away), No mini fridge, tea cattle or iron in private rooms.

Day 1 - Bad start; Tired and exhausted, within 2 hours of me checking-in, I went down to lobby to greet a brother of my Sri Lankan colleague who came specially to welcome me to the country and invite me to their home. As we headed to the room, almost physically and with extreme rudeness and disrespect, a staff and the owner of the hotel embarrassed me by telling loudly “visitors are not allowed in the room”!!!

For next 10 minutes, owner kept arguing about the hotel policy which was ‘non existent’ either on Agoda website or on the hotel voucher which was issued to me. Owner was inconsiderate of the fact that other staff and guests were overlooking the entire conversation.

On informing him that I am not staying in “Dorm” and have a proper, full room, he further argued by saying “it is booked for 1 person and not 2”. This made me really upset as my visitor came only to welcome me and take me to their home for a family dinner, not to stay in the room.

Eventually, he allowed my visitor to the room but by then, I and the visitor were deeply embarrassed, harassed, insulted and were really disgusted overall.

Day 2-3-4: As my travel plans changed, I reached the reception next morning about shortening my stay at the hotel and possibility of a refund, but the middle aged guy with glasses started the endless, impolite argument about ‘no-refund policy, whatsoever’ and kept forcing me to call Agoda in UK and talk to them, not him.

He is the same guy who refused to give me a fresh towel that morning by saying “Towels are changed every alternate days only”. On equiring about missing bathroom mat, his answer was “We are new, so we do not provide bathroom mats usually”, also, “to save energy, we don’t have lift in our 4 story building”.

Out of no choice, I stayed there for 3 nights, out of 4 paid nights, which affected my travel plans.

I am a frequent traveler who have stayed in about 80 cities in 20 countries, and have never ever came across such an embarrassment.

In the entire episode, I did not felt any trace of 'sense of service and welcoming their guests to their hotel or the country'.

I request TripAdvisor and Agoda to make a note of it.

Room Tip: (1) Stay on Galle road and as close as possible to Galle Face area. This is the tip or most central...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are a 3 story refurbished building and your room was a short walk to the 2nd floor. We do not have the facility to install an elevator in this building and we are sorry that you found this difficult for yourself.

Free tea and coffee facilities are available in our lounge in the lobby floor.

Due to the safety of our other guests and quality maintenance, we do not allow outside visitors into our Room areas and Dorm Areas. This is a very strict policy that we adhere to, and you agree upon when you sign your check in form. We have a beautiful lounge, where we encourage our guests to bring their friends, watch TV, sip on a cup of tea and enjoy the free Wifi. This is a rule applied to most Hostels around the world.

When you make a booking through Agoda, Agoda is responsible for payments and bookings. No hotel in the world will give you a Cash Refund over the counter after you make a booking on Agoda and suddenly decide to change your plans. We simply requested you to contact Agoda, so they could amend reservation through them, and they they would reverse the payment on your credit card.

You accuse us of being responsible for the change of your travel plans, when you have already pre arranged your booking with us through Agoda. It is not fair to demand a cash refund.

We truly value feedback, be it positive or negative, and look at every possible opportunity to improve ourselves. We have a very strict set of policies that we have to adhere to ensure the standard of rooms and the safety of the other guests. We are sorry that you do not like our policies. We are sincerely sorry that you you did not enjoy your stay with us at Clock Inn Colombo. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Sri Lanka!
Happy Travels!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Room is very basic with ensuite bathroom & tv. Not much ventilation & air is still in the room. Hot water works well. There is macdonald & supermarket close by which is convenient. You can take a tuk tuk to Pettah bazaar for 250 rs.

• Stayed May 2013
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your positive response! We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and hope to see you back again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Pros: My room had air con, free Wi Fi, Cable TV, bed was ok, quiet establishment, friendly staff. Modern contemporary deco design. They have dorms, so there is a common area with a fridge, toaster, stove, dishes, large TV, movie and travel book library, one computer to use and within walking distance to the ocean. Since this was the weekend of the Vesak Festival, the managers took a van load of residents to the temple and dropped us off. I thought that was very nice.
Cons: No fridge in my room. For my standards the room was not clean. Ants, urine smell in the bathroom, large clump of hair in the shower stall (not mine), very dusty. I ask for the bathroom to be cleaned but the mop used was so filthy that the young man was just moving dirt around. Also there was standing water behind the stool. The pillows really smelled. I travel with Lysol wipes and pure essential oils, so I cleaned the room myself. For two nights I didn't have hot water for a shower.
I felt for 6,900 Rs or $50 a night, this was not a good value. I spoke to other residents who had used the dorm and they complained of a smell throughout their room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am extremely distressed to hear that your room was not cleaned up to your Standard. This is the first time that a guest has complained about a foul smell in our bathroom and our pillows. All of our linens are dry cleaned at the highest quality, and this news is an unpleasant surprise. Please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse of quality in our cleaning services. This matter has been taken up seriously with our HouseKeeping team. This will be sorted out with the highest priority and I assure you that this situation will not happen again to you or any of our future guests. I sincerely hope that you take the opportunity to visit us again, I hope you had a great holiday in Sri Lanka and enjoyed the Vesak season!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Good location, friendly staff who organized an airport transfer, double rooms are good value for a big city. Clean air conditioned with a good sized bathroom with hot water. Free WIFI & free coffee & tea

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hassan R, Owner at Clock Inn Colombo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you your positive review! We are sincerely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back again soon!

Been to Clock Inn Colombo? Share your experiences!