“Nice hotel, a few things to brush up on though.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Colombo

You added Hilton Colombo to your Saves list
Hilton Colombo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Sir Chittampalam A Gardiner Mawatha, Colombo 2, Sri Lanka   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Colombo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, a few things to brush up on though.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

The Hilton colombo is pretty much what I would expect from a 5 star hotel, excellent rooms, personalised service, good facilities. However, there was a few negatives which I felt fell below that of a 5 star. The reception staff were brilliant ! however, some of the waiters in the spices restaurant seemed to struggle with English and quite a few items of food were requested and not delivered, leading us to ask other members of staff. Generally speaking the food was good, but was surprised that dinner did not include any fruit drinks or water (which we would have to pay extra for) but did include as much alcohol in the form of champagne and wine. which for some would be heaven, but for those with small kids, costly.
We requested a packed breafast due to early get away, and this was delivered on time, and had so much more than we expected, kept us going half way to Yalla. Despite the mixed ability of some of the restaurant staff, we did really enjoy our time there, and especially the beautiful room we were given.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Woodford Green Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We only stayed one night here but it was the best Hilton we have ever stayed at and puts those in the UK to shame. We were greeted and hosted by incredibly attentive and friendly staff and our room was excellent. The ambience although that of a modern hotel was fantastic, enhanced by the 'tea lounge' which offered 30 varieties of fresh tea. Both the evening and breakfast buffets had such a large range of international food that we were spoiled for choice. We could not have asked for a better start to our holiday in Sri Lanka. However it was further from Colombo Airport than we had expected (about 90 minutes)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

We booked this hotel because we thought it was good value for money for the last couple of days in Colombo. I believe it was about £50 per night for the deluxe double room including breakfast which was fab for a Hilton.

Room was a bit outdated and basic, but we were in Sri Lanka so ignored this. Views of the city are good from the rooms. Breakfast was outstanding - huge variety of anything and everything, both Western and Sri Lankan. Exactly as you would expect from a Hilton hotel. Pancakes to order lovely, breads great, fresh orange juice, all very lovely.

The pool there is good too. You have to sort of walk out of the hotel and over a bridge to get to it but its nice and secluded. Tennis courts also great. Rented for free and you can get a ball girl/boy for about a pound or two. There is an italian restaurant by the pool - i believe I may have had a pizza or a pasta. Whichever I had was great, service was great too, very friendly, very helpful (especially when a bird pooed almost on someone!)

We ate once in the pub restaurant in the hotel too, this was yum - a burger and a club sandwich (I know, how English, but the Sri Lankan food is very spicy, and I couldn't handle it at every meal!)

What makes this hotel is the staff. They are excellent. If you are expecting a really luxurious Hilton, it's in a developing country so its not that. But it is very nice, and amazing for the price. Comparative to other hotels in the area which are far more expensive, this is good value. I'd go again if I was in Colombo.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Falkensee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Big hotel in the centre of Colombo, liked the breakfast buffet, very friendly staffs there and delicious food from Sri Lanka but also international. I prepaid with creditcard and had lower rate than normally. Can advise to do the same for everybody. Had a fantastic view over the city and the indian ocean. I tried the Sri Lankan restaurant Curry Leaf and liked it very much, nice atmosphere in the evening to actually sit out side. The italian restaurant athe pool had a little tough pizza but the Spoons grill plate was delicous and costly. Liked the gym and the atmo in the lounge with philipino band playing. All in all good value for money and advisable for the first time in Sri Lanka / Colombo.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I have stayed at the Hilton Colombo 2 times by now. The most recent stay was Tue 25AUG to Sat 29AUG 2009. Overall this hotel offers great value for the money and I have grown to like it each time I stay there. Here are some key points.

Airport Transfers – The room rate generally does not include Airport Transfers. The taxi service offered by the hotel ($50) is approximately twice as much as getting a taxi from the airport. Apart from the cost aspect, I cannot comment on the Airport transfer. It is a 45 minute drive from the airport to the hotel.

Reception and Service – The people at the Front Desk are very cordial and eager to please. A very nice refreshing welcome drink is offered upon arrival. A welcome thing in the hot sweaty climate of Colombo.

Concierge – When we were ready to leave, the Concierge even negotiated an extra value deal with a Taxi service to take us to the Airport. Nice touch indeed!

Room – A clean well appointed room. The AC works well and has 3 different fan speeds which is nice. One MAJOR drawback in the room is that there is the placement of electrical outlets is very poor. The person that designed the room obviously lacked any imagination and never stayed in the room themselves. 99% of the people these days will look for an outlet to charge their cell phones. In my case, I had my laptop as well. I don’t believe in moving furniture so I can gain access to electrical outlets for charging. For someone that calls themselves a ‘business hotel’ this is completely unacceptable. My wife and I both had our laptops and this made the challenge twice as much.

Since I was a Gold Card holder with HHONORS, my wife and I were upgraded to a room on the executive floor. It was sea facing which made it even nicer. Could not have been happier.

WiFi – This worked perfectly fine. I was given a User ID and Password and it worked well for the most part. However, since we had 2 laptops in one room, this seemed to take the hotel completely by surprise. We constantly had to call the IT department to get various passwords working. They also wanted to charge us separately for 2 passwords, which I was not that thrilled about.

Bathroom – Was clean and well cared for. The taps and the shower controls work very well. They are modern and not clunky and quite refreshing and simple to use. The lighting for the bathroom mirror (once again, I have noticed most hotels fall short here) is well done and one can see oneself properly while shaving for example. Nice range of bath accessories from Crabtree & Evelyn.

Executive Lounge – My wife and I cannot say enough good things about the Executive Lounge at this Hilton. Fantastic view, highly polite and courteous staff, good food. We ate our breakfast here. Also would stop by in the afternoon for a cup of coffee and cake. This is a nice feature indeed.

Restaurant – Tried the Il Ponte, Italian restaurant. The food was nice. However the service wasn’t. My wife ordered a frozen Strawberry Daiquiri. She got a drink that was ‘on the rocks’. She tried explaining to the waiter that she had asked for frozen. He had no clue what she was talking about. He finally had to get the bartender over to the table for the communication to clear up. Also, we ordered Tiramisu for desert. Half an hour later, there was no sign of it. When we enquired, they said they are out of it and have sent word to the main restaurant across the street to get it! We canceled the Tiramisu and ordered something that they claimed was available right there. After another 10 minutes the 2nd desert showed up. Mediocre value, poor service, poor ability to communicate in English on the part of the waiters. Certainly not Hilton standard. The only redeeming thing about this restaurant is its location next to the pool.

Restaurant – They have a roof top restaurant called ‘Smoke on the water’ that offers a good combination of Indian and Continental cuisine. The atmosphere is quite nice with a good view of the city at night time. This is a smaller place, so if you wish to eat here, it may be a good idea to make a reservation.

Fitness Center – There is a well appointed Fitness center which we took full advantage of. Good assortment of treadmills, bikes, Nautilus and free weights. They have 6 flat screen TV’s on the front wall numbered 1-6. Each machine has a small device where you can plug your headset into and select the channel you wish to listen to. This keeps the Gym quiet, but at the same time offers you plenty of choice on what you wish to watch or listen to. Well done indeed.

Location – Centrally located close the main Train Station and the seashore. Can walk to the shore in about 2 minutes. Close to Presidential palace, so there is always high security, which keeps things safe.

Overall, a most sensible place to stay in Colombo. I will most definitely look forward to staying there again in future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
epsom , surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I always stay here when I visit Colombo,after staying at various hotels in the area,i find Hilton offers alround and consistant high service.

The hotel is about 45 mins drive from airport.On arrival welcomed with a fruit cocktail and greated by management.Bellboy took bags to room,also very friendly chap who answered any queries efficiently.

Rooms are very similar in design with comfortable beds,usually a sofa and table and workstation.Rooms are well insulated,and we have never suffered noise problems.

We stayed on executive floor,rooms not much different from standard floors,but has the benefit of lounge access on 18th floor.
Service on exec floor was very good with genuinely friendly staff,but was dissapointed at choice of nibbles,no ice in drinks.Much better exec lounges at other Hiltons.

Restaurants were very good,nice breakfast with lots of choice,flowing tea,coffee,and fresh orange.Large buffet with all kinds of fruit,cereals,cakes,breads,cooked,with eggs cooked to choice while you wait.

Dim Sum lunch was great at around £6 per person in chinese restaurant,pizzas nice by pool.

Resident band was good,but same thing every night,got boring and repetetive,hotel should make more effort to change entertaainment for regular guests.

All in all another great stay,with superb customer servivce,.All staff were very friendly and tried their best to make our stay special.I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a short break if in Colombo

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

A must stay for anyone travelling to colombo. great location. Near money changer and souvenir shops. Nice spacious rooms with modern decor, although bathroom doesn't have a toilet shower for Muslims. Breakfast was excellent, excellent!! great variety, fresh food and breakfast lounge facing fountain view outside.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Colombo? Share your experiences!