“Excellent Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Colombo

You added Hilton Colombo to your Saves list
Hilton Colombo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Sir Chittampalam A Gardiner Mawatha, Colombo 2, Sri Lanka   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Colombo
dunfermline, fife
“Excellent Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

My partner and I spent Christmas and New Year at this hotel. Overall, everything was excellent. As you would expect of a Hilton, the service was to a very high standard. My only complaint was the inflated prices of food/drink, etc. (in comparison to everywhere else in colombo). There are a variety of restaurants is very good and the food is flawless - there really is something for everybody. The pool area is very clean and not overcrowded - even in peak season. True, there is a bit of a walk to the pool but it is no great hardship. Staff are very friendly, polite and are very efficient at giving advice on getting around/ going out, etc.
The only negative is the location. The hotel is situated in the business district where all the best hotels are located. there are a few small shops, a KFC (why you would need this beats me), and some street sellers' stalls. tuk tuks are your best bet for getting around. haggle with them and you'll get to wherever you want to go for a cheap price.
We went to a variety of restaurants, shops, malls and they were all fantastic. I bought 6 bags of clothes and shoes and spent just shy of £100.
i would recommend the trip to Kandy. the Hilton charge £70-90 per person but this is a ripoff. the train costs £3 return for first class which looks extremely daunting but is very easy. on arrival, we hired a driver to drive us around for the day which included a visit to the temple of the tooth, herbal garden and elephant orphanage for around £30pp. it was a fab day out.
don't go to colombo if clubbing is your ideal holiday. we ventured to a few bars and clubs which were... interesting! Alcohol is the same price as UK unless you buy from an off-license (buddhist/muslim country remember).
All-in-all, a fantastic holiday/hotel and would go back in a second!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Chennai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I wanted to take a short vacation and decided on Sri Lanka. Being a Hilton Honors member, I thought the Hilton Colombo will have the same level of excellent service as elsewhere, how wrong I was! I had already booked for 2 rooms and paid though Hilton website. The check-in process was good. During check-in, they wanted to take a pre-authorization on my credit card for incidental expenses, which happens all across, so I did not have any problem in agreeing and they took a swipe for Sri Lankan Rupees 25000. The second day we had planned to go to Kandy. As my mother has back problem, I requested the front desk to help me out with a cushion or pillow, so that she can be comfortable during the long drive to Kandy and back. The front desk was extremely unhelpful and rude, they made a big issue that they cannot give a single pillow or a cushion. Finally after repeated requests and explaining about my mother's health condition, they finally agreed that I can take the pillow from my room and return it back and inform them that I have returned. The third day we checked out and during the settling of my bills, the front-desk people said that they will cancel the pre-authorization (of Sri Lankan Rupees 25000) that they had taken during the check-in. Once I am back home, I find that the pre-authorization has not been cancelled. I have been doing repeated calls to them and am yet to get any decent reply from them. Every time a new person picks up my call and I have to tell the complete story every time. As of writing this review I am yet to be refunded the pre-authorization. So all fellow travellers.... beware!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was our first time in a Hilton hotel and it was perfect!! The staff are so helpful and the rooms are lovely. The rooms have cable TV, fridge, Tea and Coffee, Iron, a sofa and a desk. You get welcome drinks on arrival and welcome fruits and sweets arrive in your room within 15 minutes.

Staff were great, the concierge arranged our taxi to Negombo as the hotel taxi was too expensive, he even bartered with the driver to make sure we got a good price.

We ate in the Spoons restaurant, 3 courses for £10, food was delicious and the service was amazing .

We were on a budget but were made to feel like the most important customers in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Great hotel in an awesome city. Must see Colombo! The best in History, Culture & Religion. Shopping, Dining & Clubbing also amazing. Very friendly locals and many well versed in english. The Buddhist temples are a must see - espacially one floating on water!!!!!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Wonderful stay in Hilton
Nice staff, very friendly, always ready to help.
Nice look and feel, restaurants serve good food.
Only problem was Housekeeping- Didnt clean room despite informing them, pillows missing, towels missing!
But ignoring this, the rest of the time and treatment at the hotel was wonderful!
Do try the foot refloxology at the massage centre!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Graz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

i stayed in colombo in 2 top class hotels and first was the hilton hotel!
staying before in hiltons made me feel normally like a business traveller, but this time i was only for shopping in that city and wanted to have a holiday feeling- and from the first second of arriving, I got that feeling immediatly.
Check in was very quick and while filling out the form, the concierge approached me with a lime juice and a cold towel- what a suprise in a city hotel!!!
then i was giving my card together with a voucher at odel(10%) and went to my room. The elevator are close by and easily to find and very fast. My room was on the 15th floor and i had therefore a great view over the sea and the city- just fantastic!! the room was spacious, the bed more than comfortable and the amenities great!!!>The bathroom was good too, great shower and important for me a scale!
At arrival there was a fruit platter and 2 pieces of marzipan on the side table, which i think is very nice and unexpected again!
I cant say anything about dinner as I didnt have it, but all the restaurants look very professional and tempting and it seems that they are the hotspots of the city!
Breakfast was more than what I have expected! As I was travelling alone, sometime i do get bad tables, but the hostess at the hilton gave me a great table in a silent place, where still could see everything! The buffet was amazing, the choice great.
The only negative things where, that the omelett wasnt really made(was not done inside proberly)and i was asked for coffee or tea after 15min, which is kinda late, but again, it was peak time,so it was fine!
Check out was very fast and I had a lovely chat to the fantastic concierge(u can ask him for anything and he will tell u!!)and also the Fo-Asst.Manager, which made me feeling very VIP!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I had one of the most amazing experiences on my very first trip to Sri Lanka. I was booked at the Hilton Colombo by my local office. I reached there after 2 flights from Mumbai via Chennai, a little bit exhausted from the travel.

The moment I entered, recieved a very warm welcome by the Lobby manager and was escorted to the Reception. I had forgotten to mention that I was a Hilton Honours member due to my Platinum status with Jet Airways. The moment I mentioned the same, was immediately upgraded to the Executive Room even though I had not informed the Hotel in advance. When I was checked into the room, it was a very spacious one with a view overlooking the Port. I mentioned to the Lobby manager that as I work for a logistics company, ports do not hold much interest for me, he immediately suggested that I request for a change of room.

I called the front office and placed my request for a room with the view of the ocean and to my surprise a room was made available within 15 minutes. If this is not great service, not sure what is.

The Hilton Colombo has a good range of restaurants with different Cuisines. The Indian restaurant, called Spices, is an excellent place to feel at home for Indians, especially vegertarians like myself. The restaurant with Sri Lankan Cuisine, Curry Leaves, has a very good spread for dinner Buffet. There is a good variety of Vegetarian, Non-Vegetarian and Sea Food available with String Hoppers and Egg Hoppers as accompainement.

There is an Italian Restaurant and Chinese restaurant too. Unfortunately, could not try much of those, since I fell in love with Sri Lankan Cuisine and did not have the oppurtunity to visit them.

The staff is very helpful, warm and cheerful. They make your stay a very comfortable and unique one.

Would love to go back..... this time with my family !!!

• Liked — Room with a great view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Colombo? Share your experiences!