“Nice appartment - great service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Colombo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice appartment - great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

For 3 of us this was a great last night in sri lanka - booked in early and got a late check out until 3pm - the service team were very helpfull - pool area was great and we managed to waste away an afternoon there while waiting to go to airport -

Appartment was clean and very comfortable - they gave us a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit platter - there was a very good food town super market next door and they also had beer and wine

Airport was 45 minutes at 8pm and cost rps2350 - we got the desk to call one of the cab companies as the hilton cars were 5000!

• Stayed December 2012
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residence, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear kiwi-traveller-PS,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Hilton Colombo Residence. It is a pleasure to learn that your very brief stay with us left you with a wonderful impression.

We very much appreciate your kind feedback and insights on the apartment and our facilities. We are glad that you felt comfortable during your stay and hope that you will stay longer with us the next time you visit Colombo. It will be our pleasure to be of service to you again.

Manesh Fernando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been coming here for the past 3/4 yrs and it has never failed us on standard. Customer service is outstanding and nothing is ever too much. Our two babies came here after they were born and the staff always make a fuss of them. The rooms are perfect for families.We are frequently upgraded and always feel very at home here. There are too many outstanding staff to mention but we are very grateful to them all for looking after us so well. We will keep returning whenever we visit Colombo!
The Farbrothers, Hants, uk

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear maya f,

Thank you very much for your compliments of Hilton Colombo Residence, we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay.

It is very rewarding for the team to realise that their level of service and hospitality contributed towards your wonderful impression of the hotel, and making us your preferred hotel in Colombo.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and continuing to delight you through our warm Hilton hospitality.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Me and two of my friends booked a 3 bedroom deluxe suite via expedia a few months back. When we arrived we were downgraded to a superior suite ( smaller, with a smaller balcony, and single beds in guest bedrooms instead of double). They advised that we had booked a standard room and we were given an upgrade, half an hour was spent trying to resolve this situation after which we gave up. Also we were charged $25 (+taxes) a night more because we apparently had an extra person (why would 2 people rent a 3br apartment is beyond me).

overall very disappointed with the interior, i have previously paid half of what i paid for this apartment in infonesia, Thailand and Malaysia for far superior accommodation. The apartment itself was very dated, not dissimilar to a 70s house i am renovating now. Only the living room had an LCD tv, the other tvs were boxes from the 90s.

I had grave concerns about the cleanliness of the place, after finding the tv controller to be filthy and stations inside my bed linen. The cleaner did seem like a friendly guy though.

Other issues i had included no bottle opener in the room, and the drain hole in the bath not opening properly.

The buffet was not bad, and it had free wifi so that's probably the best part of the hotel.

Also, there is one supermarket next to the hotel, apart from that you have to travel by taxi anywhere else.

Also, the hotel tried to overcharge on use of the taxi and on wifi (400 per hour, really?)

overall, this hotel would rate below most 3 and 4 star hotels i usually stay at. i would have no problem if this hotel was at a lower price point but given the amount paid by the group, it was truly disappointing

• Stayed December 2012
Dear ruscom,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointing experience at Hilton Colombo Residence.

We very much appreciate your feedback, which gives us important insights on the areas for improvement. I wish to assure you that contrary to the impression you have gained from your experience, my team is dedicated to delivering the high standards of products and services expected of a Hilton Hotel. Due to your feedback, we are reinforcing the importance of customer-focused service delivery in all our process reviews.

I would very much like to receive more details regarding your experience so that we may make further necessary corrective actions. Please feel free to contact me directly on +94 (0) 777 77 25 25 or manesh.fernando@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.

My team and I are very sorry that we did not deliver a better stay experience to you and your friends. We hope that there will be another opportunity for us to deliver the Hilton hospitality experience to you, should your travels bring you back to Colombo in the future.

chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were there for X'Mas last year.We were onThe 32nd floor and had a 3 bedroom apartment.It was very spacious with a well equipped kitchenette.Had a seperate area for the washing machine and clothesline which was a boon.There are two huge supermarkets nearby and lots of eating joints nearby.The views are amazing.Special mention has to be made of the courteous staff and the surprises they kept springing on us-one day wine ,the next a delicious Christmas Yule log and so on.This is one holiday where we actually spent more time chilling out in the hotel than exploring the city though we were there for 6 days.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors are definitely recommended for the views .
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residence, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear JAYRO_Travelogue,

It is a great pleasure for us to know that your family's Christmas holiday last year remains fresh in your memory!

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on the apartment, we are glad that you enjoyed the views and that you had a wonderful relaxing experience with us. My team and I are very pleased that our warm hospitality and the little touches everyday highlighted your stay.

We are delighted to be your home away from home, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I feel like the management and staff at the Hilton Colombo Residence have the best of intentions: everyone is very friendly and tries hard (sometimes too hard). The hotel hits some marks, misses others. Of course some of my perceived faults could just be chalked up to cultural differences (Chicago / Colombo).

PROS
- Friendly, efficient service
- Some nice perks: an upgrade, a high floor as requested, a bottle of wine (but not drinkable), cookies, a fruit plate, and plenty of complimentary bottles of water
- Spacious accommodations (I had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, foyer and living room): I've lived in smaller apartments
- An extensive room service menu
- Decent breakfast
- My driver was awaiting me at the airport and he drove well

CONS
- Service overkill. The valet was zipping up my bags (while I was accessing them) and taking them from my grasp. Calls after each room service order are interruptive
- Room with a view, but I couldn't enjoy it much because the patio doors were locked
- Dismal dinner (Szechuan beef)
- No heat. I realize Colombo is usually hot and humid, but it was cool when I was here
- Outdated decor and furnishings, like walking onto the Three's Company set. Box-like bed and worn towels
- Loud location: constant honking, calls to prayer

All in all, an ok stay, and I give the hotel points for trying.

www.esmetravels.com

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor: less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Esme_Travels,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hilton Colombo Residence, we are glad that you were generally satisfied with your stay.

As the team continually works hard to deliver service of the highest standards and great stay experiences to all our guests, we welcome your valuable feedback, which provides great insights on our strengths and areas for improvement. It is good to know that your floor request was met and that you were happy with the apartment, our breakfast buffet spread and room service menu offerings, as well as our in-room amenities.

Whilst we are pleased to note that you found our service friendly and efficient, we apologise if you found some of our team members to be over-eager in their efforts. Please rest assured that the comfort and well-being of our guests are at all times among our highest priorities, and the team will work on ensuring a smoother service delivery.

We also apologise for the inconvenience caused by the locked patio doors, which is owing to the safety of our guests; temperature control and the quality of your dinner; all of which the relevant departments have since taken steps to address. Moreover, we have taken your feedback regarding our decor, furnishings and noise factor into consideration as we plan future enhancements for the hotel.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back, should your travels bring you back to Colombo.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm the groom of a recent wedding that took place at Jaic. I'm extremely disappointed with how they coordinated my wedding. On the day, the coordinator was missing, which left us and the family members to coordinate the 'entire agenda' for the day. Although, before the wedding they assured that they'd give us their fullest support.
However, towards the end of the event, we found cash gifts worth 100,000-180,000/= were stolen, and the staff that was missing appeared out of no where to clear out the tables (including the gifts) even before the guests could leave, nor the time to collect our belongings. The staff was extremely unsupportive and did not fully assist us on checking the surveillance tapes. We strongly believe they manipulated the tapes before we could have a look at them. They made us wait out side of the control room for no reason.
The banquet manager behaved very badly trying hard to cover their mistakes. He,who was also responsible for chasing out the "pappare band" which was a surprise by my friends, creating a very unpleasant atmosphere at the climax of my wedding. He did not handle it professionally. I will not recommend this banquet hall for any event, though they seem very nice and helpful "before" the event.
It was a waste of money and my wedding turned out to be a bad experience thanks to jaic hilton and its staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residence, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear vidura84,

I am aware of and deeply concerned for your situation. First and foremost, I wish to assure you that we are already investigating this matter and have made attempts to contact all parties involved to resolve this.

We sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience; this is certainly not typical of the service that Hilton Colombo Residence delivers, especially as the hotel has an established reputation as a venue for weddings and all types of functions. The well-being of all our guests is at all times paramount and the team continually endeavours to deliver the optimum standards of service with the warmth and integrity expected of a five-star hotel.

We are currently making attempts to contact you but please feel free to contact me directly on +94 (0) 777 77 25 25 or by email on manesh.fernando@hilton.com.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was in Colombo in early October this year for work and as the cricket finals were on my company were unable to book me in at the hotel they usually use and booked me an apartment at the Hilton Residence. The apartment was on the 18th floor with a good view and was very nicely furnished. A bottle of wine, some chocolate cookies and a basket of fruit greeted me on arrival. A very nice touch ! The apartment was kept immaculately clean by the ever smiling and ever helpful young man who cleaned it and who always notes which toiletries needed replacing.

The member of reception staff who had booked me in regularly rang me to check I was happy with every aspect of my stay.

I cannot speak highly enough of the staff who were always very warm and friendly and who went out of their way to make my time there such a positive experience. Two examples : on the evening of the cricket final I went down to the restaurant not realising it was turned into a "cinema" so people could watch the cricket. Instead of just telling me there were no meals that evening the manager welcomed me in, had a table put up where I could see one of the screens and had a meal cooked for me. I know absolutely nothing about cricket but loved the atmosphere. At the beginning of my week there the chef told me they were having a Thai buffet for the week. I commented I'd been looking forward to Sri Lankan food so every evening he made me a selection of Sri Lankan dishes to try. They were different each evening but always superb. On his evening off he even arranged for the duty chef to do the same !

It was so nice to come in at the end of a long day at work and to be warmly greeted by the reception staff. The hotel's taxi drivers were excellent when they took me shopping and to and from the airport.

On one occasion there was a slight problem with one of the doormen when he, for no apparent reason, would not allow the taxi bringing me back from work to stop at the entrance. As soon as the manager heard about this he immediately came to my apartment to apologise and personally ensured my departure to the airport the next morning went smoothly. There was even a goodbye gift from the hotel.

The service is excellent and I am sure some of the credit for this must go to the manager.

I returned to Colombo recently but unfortunately was once more at the hotel my company normally uses.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Marion G,

It is a great pleasure for us to learn that your stay with us in October was a wonderful experience!

The team are truly appreciative of your encouraging feedback; it is very rewarding to know that the warm hospitality and service that you received during your stay made your experience memorable. Here at Hilton Colombo Residence, we continually strive to go beyond the call of service in order to deliver the unique Sri Lankan and Hilton hospitality experience for all our valued guests. We are truly delighted that you were able to experience this through the little touches on arrival that you mentioned, the care given by our Reception and Housekeeping teams, and your dining experiences provided by our talented team of Chefs and service team.

We once again apologise for the inconvenience that you encountered after returning from work. However, we are glad that you were satisfied with the prompt action and service following this issue. The well-being of all our guests is at all times paramount.

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your delightful experience on Tripadvisor. We hope to have you with us again in the future so that we may continue to delight you with our warm hospitality.

Manesh Fernando

Been to Hilton Colombo Residence? Share your experiences!