“Wonderful stay with welcoming, entertaining guests” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Fonse Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
De Fonse Place
29 de Fonseka Place | Havelock Town, Colombo 5, Sri Lanka (Formerly De Fonseka Place Guest House)   |
Ranked #17 of 75 Colombo B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay with welcoming, entertaining guests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I both had the pleasure of staying with Ianthe and Rohan in December 2011 (sorry for the slow reply!!). It's a beautiful guest house with a peaceful and charming little garden, enviably situated right in the middle of Colombo. Ianthe and Rohan were both spectacularly welcoming and wonderful hosts, full of information about how best to get around the country and honest about sites they'd miss along the way too! If we're ever back in Colombo, we'll be sure to swing by again.

Thank you so very much for making our stay in Sri Lanka what it was.

Sam & Ellie.

Room Tip: Speak directly with Ianthe and she will endeavour to do her very best to accommodate everyone!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were warmly welcomed and managed to meet all family members, it was great to share our stories and obtain some amazing insights on Sri Lanka...
Perfect location at Colombo 5 for shopping/ sightseeing, our rooms was clean and breakfast in the lovely garden just unforgettable, thanks Mrs Ianthe!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at De Fonse place for 4 nights in July. I found the hospitality I experienced second to none. In addition to the warm welcome and thoughtful advice I received regarding various aspects of my travels that week, all other aspects of my stay were great. The food prepared was delicious and my room and the accomodation generally was very clean and tidy.De Fonse place has become my first choice for accomodation in Sri Lanka for future visit.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was our first night in Srilanka. My parents arrived at 5 in the morning and Ianthe and her husband did their best to welcome them. She was also very communicative and responsive with me when checking about my parents arrival as my plane was to arrive later in the day.

The room I stayed in was very clean. But what enjoyed the most was all the discussions we had with Ianthe's family... This is a very educated family that has travelled the world and came back to have the world stop by as Ianthe says. They opened the door to Srilanka for us.

I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at De Fonse Place for two nights in July. Totally loved the place.

If you're looking for a hotel-grade service, clean and spotless rooms and a lot of smiling but impersonal faces around, then you would be better off staying at some hotel, which are plenty in Colombo. But if you are looking for a real authentic experience, willing to get to know the local people, learn more about their culture and history firsthand, this would be the place to stay! The hosts are very welcoming and helpful. The room is spacious and clean. The food is delicious (haven't had such a delicious papaya anywhere else!!!). All this will make your stay at De Fonce Place a truly great experience. Add to it a beautiful garden, a playful puppy and a turtle family and you will feel like home at this cozy place. Ianthe, the hostess, her husband and both of her children were very helpful and gave a lot of insights as to where to go and what to see in Colombo, got very worried when found out that I would be driving through the island and called me a couple of times to check on me and find out how I was doing. I felt like I found a family in Sri Lanka and made good friends, who I will keep in touch with in the future!

One word of caution as to how to find the place - the house is located on De Fonce Place, not De Fonce Road, which are two different things, and not all tuk-tuk drivers know the difference. But if you follow Ianthe's directions, you should not have any problems finding the place.

I would definitely recommend De Fonse Place to my friends and will stay here myself next time I'm in Colombo!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

We're not sure whether the owner had just had a bad day but from the moment we arrived we were made to feel like we were imposing on her for being there and paying 38 dollars for the night. Our questions were met with curt replies and the only time we got a smile was when we said we would check out early.
There was a definite lack of warmth and although the room was clean this couldn't make up for being made to feel like we were unwelcome guests.

• Stayed July 2012
Ianthe W, Owner at De Fonse Place, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Delhitraveller,
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us because you felt unwelcomed. I do my best to welcome all my guests, which is why I was awake to meet you after midnight on the night of your arrival. Perhaps I was tired, and may have appeared curt, for which I sincerely apologise.
I am sorry too for the fact that you felt I was pleased at the thought of your early departure. I only suggested you check out early in the morning because you were keen to catch the morning train to Kandy, and as far as i know the best way to be sure of a seat on the train is to arrive at the station well in advance of the train.
I hope you were able to secure a seat, and that the rest of your trip went smoothly.
Mrs Ianthe Wijewardene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

This was my first trip to Colombo. It was important that I felt at home in this dynamic city, and I certainly did at De Fonseca Place. I loved the very tasteful and classy interior, the lush garden, and the patio where we can sit and relax watching the 3 bashful tortoises "speeding" across the lawn and have Evie the Dynamo Canine jump on us :)
The room I was in was very comfortable with clean, crisp bed linen. The attached bathroom was also very clean, much to my relief and satisfaction - I am most wary of wet, soap scummy bathrooms. I was so comfortable in my room that I spent my evenings just relaxing on the bed and utilising the free WIFI provided on my iPad.
Breakfast was just wonderful. Copious amounts of toast with delicious homemade jams and coffee, and the scrambled eggs simply divine.
The location of the house is perfect with shops and cafes just down the road at a short walking distance. Situated quite close to the city, getting around was not a problem at all.
Ianthe and Rohan are marvellous, gracious hosts. They are more like cheerful long lost relatives rather than severe, strict, scary hosts of a guesthouse. They made me feel very much at home and I enjoyed my little conversations with Ianthe very much. I grew very fond of this charming family and I thank them for making my stay in Colombo quite special and most memorable.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to De Fonse Place? Share your experiences!