“Wonderful hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast
You added Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
263/6 Galle Road | Kollupitiya, Colombo 03, Colombo Colombo 03, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #19 of 86 Colombo B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed one night at the beginning of my trip and was won over by the hosts - they are so lovely! Lots of helpful advice and the breakfast I had was the best of any of the guesthouses I stayed in. Location is central, room was clean with a very funky bathroom!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Shelly,
Thanks for your stay with us and also for the review. My manager John and his wife are glad to hear that they were good hosts. They appreciate the feedback and look forward to hosting you again during your next visit.

Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed more than two weeks at Colombo Haven, and they couldn't have been nicer to me. The room was fine, the shower played music and the breakfast was more than you could possibly eat. But the best part was the people. They treated me like family, always asking about my day, offering me tea, organizing my excursions within the city and to Kandy. The location can't be beat - walking distance to everything you might need, and convenient for tuktuks as well. John and Shyamali made me feel comfortable and secure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guanyingirl,
Thanks so much for staying with us and also for taking the time to write this review. My manager John and his wife thoroughly enjoyed hosting you during your long stay with us and I am so glad to hear that you did as well. They take pleasure in their service and hospitality and its great to hear the acknowledgement from the guests as well. Thanks for that.

Thanks once again for your stay with us and look forward to your next.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stopped at Colombo Haven for the first part of our trip in Sri Lanka. John (the owner) was very helpful, answering all emails promptly before our arrival. He was very accomodating, and sent a driver to get us from the airport at 5AM. The property in itself is welcoming, light, spacious and beautiful.

We stayed in the bamboo room, and it was large and had a shower which is an experience in itself! Breakfast is served both western and Sri Lankan style with an ample side of fruit, so we were well fed before venturing into Colombo.

John is very helpful and even booked our train tickets to leave to Kandy (book ahead of time to get first class, we didn't manage to!). He gave us great suggestions for things to do in Colombo: do visit the Galle Face Hotel at Sunset and the ice cream shop next to Colombo Haven.

I would recommend this place to anyone - you'll definitely be looked after.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Avid_Traveller1104,
Thanks for staying with us as well as your detailed review. My manager John and his wife are thrilled that you enjoyed their service, which is something we take absolute pride in. We are glad you enjoyed the food as well, another area we take pride in and are very glad to see that our guests enjoy it.

Thanks once again for staying with us and can't wait for another opportunity to host you.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have to say that John and his wife are really very nice and caring people. The communication by email and their service, breakfast and recommendations were excellent and we really enjoyed our stay here. Our room (Margossa) was good and offered 2 comfortable king size beds for us and the kids, clean sheets and towels, a big TV and even a small fridge. We really enjoyed the shower with the plants and daylight. We could not use the terrace due to a cyclone and the tin-shed roof was noisy during the storm, but that was really not the owners fault. I would definitely come back again on my next trip to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Loewenhertz,
Thanks for staying with us and also for your review. Sorry about the noisy roof during the storm. As you said, there wasn't much we could have done, but are planning to replace the tin roof with tiles so that we can minimise the noise even during storms. My manager John and his wife Shyamali are happy to hear that they were helpful and really look forward to you and your children staying with us again.

Lattakia, Syria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My room was superb. More like a little apartment on its own!
With the same rate you would only find poor quality hotels
I arrived the place at around 4 am because of flight schedule. And the airport pickup service arranged by Colombo Haven was on time. I asked for a late breakfast and John the owner of the place was so fine with that.
John asked me what I would like for breakfast, Sri Lankan or International. I was not sure, so I told him to do whatever he likes.
He actually made both! The best breakfast I have ever had. Sri Lankan food was delicious.
John and Shyamali are wonderful hosts and they will help you and answer any question you may have for travel tips and recommendations.

PS: get a chocolate chip ice cream scoop from Carnival Ice cream next door. The best local ice cream in the country.

Room Tip: Rooms are not the same, ask for Bamboo it is the best. I have checked all of them.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sami,
Thanks for staying with us and also for your detailed review. My manager John and his wife Shyamali enjoyed hosting you and look forward to another opportunity. Trust you are safe among all the trouble we hear about in your country. Take care and look forward to your next stay with us.

Oakland, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

All emails before & after our stay were courteous. I was a bit surprised that Colombo Haven was at the end of an alley (at the beginning of which is an ice cream parlor!), but that actually helped keep down the city noise. With our (needed) air conditioner on, we couldn't hear any outside noise. When you reserve, ask which rooms have an attached bathroom, if that is important to you. Ours was not attached, but it was private, i.e., we were the only ones to use it. Everything was clean and our hosts were very polite and accommodating. The traditional breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The wireless Internet signal in our room was very good. Owner Jonathan was very gracious about our plans changing at the last minute (due to our Sri Lankan friends). We appreciated his flexibility. My wife and I have advised our Sri Lankan friends to keep Colombo Haven in mind when they have visitors from outside their country. We would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jeff,
It was our absolute pleasure hosting you and thank you so much for your detailed review. We greatly appreciate your reference as well since that's our most valuable marketing tool. Thanks once again for staying with us and look forward to your next visit.

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at the Colombo Haven in a very spacious room which was more like a mini-apartment. John and Shyamali are supurb hosts and not only provide a scrumptious breakfast, but give excellent travel advice as well. We enjoyed their company immensely and wish they ran a restaurant in Melbourne! One of the four rooms does not have an ensuite bathroom.

Room Tip: MAke sure you ask for an ensuite bathroom if that is what you want.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AnneBenC,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write the review. It is much appreciated. My manager John and Shyamali loved hosting you and look forward to your next stay. Glad you enjoyed our food, which we take a lot of pride in serving.

Jonathan

Been to Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!