“A home away from home!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast
You added Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
263/6 Galle Road | Kollupitiya, Colombo 03, Colombo Colombo 03, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #17 of 80 Colombo B&B and Inns
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“A home away from home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have to say that John and his wife are really very nice and caring people. The communication by email and their service, breakfast and recommendations were excellent and we really enjoyed our stay here. Our room (Margossa) was good and offered 2 comfortable king size beds for us and the kids, clean sheets and towels, a big TV and even a small fridge. We really enjoyed the shower with the plants and daylight. We could not use the terrace due to a cyclone and the tin-shed roof was noisy during the storm, but that was really not the owners fault. I would definitely come back again on my next trip to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Loewenhertz,
Thanks for staying with us and also for your review. Sorry about the noisy roof during the storm. As you said, there wasn't much we could have done, but are planning to replace the tin roof with tiles so that we can minimise the noise even during storms. My manager John and his wife Shyamali are happy to hear that they were helpful and really look forward to you and your children staying with us again.

Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lattakia, Syria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My room was superb. More like a little apartment on its own!
With the same rate you would only find poor quality hotels
I arrived the place at around 4 am because of flight schedule. And the airport pickup service arranged by Colombo Haven was on time. I asked for a late breakfast and John the owner of the place was so fine with that.
John asked me what I would like for breakfast, Sri Lankan or International. I was not sure, so I told him to do whatever he likes.
He actually made both! The best breakfast I have ever had. Sri Lankan food was delicious.
John and Shyamali are wonderful hosts and they will help you and answer any question you may have for travel tips and recommendations.

PS: get a chocolate chip ice cream scoop from Carnival Ice cream next door. The best local ice cream in the country.

Room Tip: Rooms are not the same, ask for Bamboo it is the best. I have checked all of them.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sami,
Thanks for staying with us and also for your detailed review. My manager John and his wife Shyamali enjoyed hosting you and look forward to another opportunity. Trust you are safe among all the trouble we hear about in your country. Take care and look forward to your next stay with us.

Oakland, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

All emails before & after our stay were courteous. I was a bit surprised that Colombo Haven was at the end of an alley (at the beginning of which is an ice cream parlor!), but that actually helped keep down the city noise. With our (needed) air conditioner on, we couldn't hear any outside noise. When you reserve, ask which rooms have an attached bathroom, if that is important to you. Ours was not attached, but it was private, i.e., we were the only ones to use it. Everything was clean and our hosts were very polite and accommodating. The traditional breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The wireless Internet signal in our room was very good. Owner Jonathan was very gracious about our plans changing at the last minute (due to our Sri Lankan friends). We appreciated his flexibility. My wife and I have advised our Sri Lankan friends to keep Colombo Haven in mind when they have visitors from outside their country. We would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jeff,
It was our absolute pleasure hosting you and thank you so much for your detailed review. We greatly appreciate your reference as well since that's our most valuable marketing tool. Thanks once again for staying with us and look forward to your next visit.

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at the Colombo Haven in a very spacious room which was more like a mini-apartment. John and Shyamali are supurb hosts and not only provide a scrumptious breakfast, but give excellent travel advice as well. We enjoyed their company immensely and wish they ran a restaurant in Melbourne! One of the four rooms does not have an ensuite bathroom.

Room Tip: MAke sure you ask for an ensuite bathroom if that is what you want.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AnneBenC,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write the review. It is much appreciated. My manager John and Shyamali loved hosting you and look forward to your next stay. Glad you enjoyed our food, which we take a lot of pride in serving.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed at Colombo Haven for one night (due to the cricket we needed to move hotels). The room was large and the en-suite had a great shower.

Having a proper seating area and large tv was also welcome. The only drawback was the building site directly outside our window - not the fault of the Colombo Haven owners, but noisy from very early in the morning.

Breakfast was plentiful, service and our hosts were very good.

• Stayed October 2012
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear JRWales,
Thanks for your kind review. Sorry for any inconvenience caused due to construction of the near by building. As you said, there is very little we can do but looking forward to it being finished. It was our pleasure hosting you and look forward to the next time.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been to this city a number of times in the past and this was my first B&B here. Finding the place will be a bit tricky if you're coming here on your own without the help of a local as the place is tucked behind an ice cream parlor (I always used that landmark whenever I used the autorickshaw) through a dark alley. Dark because there is a new building being constructed beside it that blocked off most streetlights and the sky. Nothing to be concerned though because it is safe just use the torch on your phone to avoid any trips. The first room that I got was the one on the top as all other rooms were book. It had a balcony and two queen size beds which is great if you're here in a group but a waste of space though when you're alone. I had a few problems with this room during my first few nights. I had trouble with the wifi in the room and the TV was a bit complicated. The TV problem was solved although I had little interest in local channels but the wifi problem remained until I left. The old couple downstairs were really nice and accommodating but I didn't really expect them to know how to fix the wifi. One thing I really like for this room was the bathroom as it was constructed to allow natural light to come in. The vines in the shower added an outdoor rustic feel to it which I enjoyed but when I saw a few large ants (the kind you see on soil) on the toilet that was a bit too much. Not really a problem but good thing I wasn't half asleep when I used it or else that would've been a nasty bite. One more thing I didn't like in this room was the red curtains that was used to block out the noontime sun. The curtains were not thick enough to block out the sunlight and instead painted the whole room in bright red light. So much for that midday nap.

The last night of my stay I eventually was able to move to the Bamboo room and it definitely was an improvement. No balcony but cozy enough if you want to sleep in during the day. There was also a couch for those who want to lounge around in front of the telly. Bathroom is also nice although taking a shower felt like I was getting into a space capsule butt naked. Also not advisable for those taller than 6 ft and have a large body frame as you might not fit inside and if you do you might be stuck in there. It was fun though as there were lots of buttons and levers to make your shower interesting. =)

Breakfast was also great as the old couple downstairs prepared hearty Sri Lankan dishes. Be aware though that some maybe too spicy for your liking so proceed with caution on that curry looking dish. Fresh fruits were served everyday. They actually cooked a lot more than I could handle in one sitting but it was really good.

Overall, my whole stay was good enough but not outstanding. The redeeming factor was that the owner and the people managing this B&B were very good people and very warm in welcoming strangers in their home. I'd probably stay here again but I'd choose the Bamboo room instead with that funky shower capsule.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear drmcflurry,
Thanks for your kind review. Sorry about the WiFi issues you had while you stayed with us. My manager tried his best to get it sorted out, but the Telecom people couldn't identify what the problem was until you had left. It ended up being a faulty WiFi router instead of the modem, which is what they though it was. In any case, sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We haven't previously heard about any ants in the bathroom, but would take your concern to heart to make sure it is dealt with. As you mentioned, the open shower is one of the features of that bathroom and wouldn't want to lose that uniqueness.

As for your comment about the curtains in the room, it is being looked into and we would do something about darkening the room during the day providing that opportunity to take a nap in the afternoon if so desired.

Thanks once again for your review and look forward to hosting you again and with the WiFi working!.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We searched high and low for fairly priced accommodation and came across Colombo Haven and were certainly not disappointed. Their hospitality is fantastic, the rooms are tastefully decorated and clean and breakfast... where do you begin? Breakfast was a 5 course meal and all of it was delicious! I ended up feeling rude when I couldn't fit anymore in and it may have looked like I didn't like it. I highly recommend paying the extra money for the Bamboo Den, it has a living area with a couch and tv, desk area with tea/coffee facilities, a large bathroom and a big comfy bed. We stayed in another room the first night, but this was worth the extra $10 undoubtedly.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bamboo Den, worth the extra money!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tess712,
Thanks for your kind review. Don't feel bad about not finishing all that's put in front of you at breakfast. As you may have noticed, it is our pleasure to show off the traditional hospitality and for Sri Lankans food is a very big part of it. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and look forward to the next opportunity. Thanks for your endorsement as well.

Jonathan

Been to Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!