“Good coffee but lots of rough edges” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 20 Coffee & Tea in Colombo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Good coffee but lots of rough edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a place I really want to love but unfortunately a few things prevent me from rating it higher. A small, local and quirky cafe serving locally grown, fair trade coffee and run by friendly staff. Hansa is the only good locally grown coffee and available as ground coffee or whole beans. The cafe serves a variety of hot and cold coffees that are both good and reasonably priced compared to the overpriced cafes in Colombo.

But my last visit they took nearly 45 mins to serve bring me a coffee and the limited snack menu was a bit expensive for what was served. The food was basic which would have been fine if it was priced a bit lower. The brownies are excellent and value for money though. Mainly go for the coffee and hope the service is better than my last visit. It has been better on previous visits but tends to be a bit hit and miss. For some strange reason they also refused to serve sugar separately. Either with or without but not served for you to mix in. Strange!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

colombo
“The best coffee in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I felt I had to comment on the many negative comments on Hansa coffee on trip advisor once I was told by a friend about it. As these comments seem to be made in such a short space of time, they are suspicious to say in the least. I have been using Hansa for many years now and have seen it grow from rarely available coffee to being available far more widely at present, and we are certainly fortunate to have such a gourmet product in this part of the world. The pure chocolate they produce is also world class and growing in reputation. Sri Lankan coffee was practically undrinkable in the days before Hansa. It is absolutely stupendous at present, can be rated as one of the best in the world for coffeeholics of which I happen to be one and their coffee outlet on Fife Road serves the only proper coffee in Colombo, with world-class coffee drinks, and even those that are not available anywhere else. I feel this is a concerted effort on the part of an unscrupulous element, to discredit one of Sri Lanka’s most special and loved products. May Hansa live on!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Best of a poor lot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Sri Lanka is one of the most beautiful islands in the world, Almost everything available in the west is available here. Except for a decent cup of local coffee. So most of the time you are compelled to live with Nescafe.

Hansa is the best of the lot and comes in a variety of flavours - arabic, expresso etc. but frankly they all taste the same. The wholebean gives you better value for money is bought and ground at home.

Visited January 2013
Canberra, Australia
“The worst coffee in the world”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I arrived in Colombo on Christmas Day for my daughter's homecoming. I didn't expect to get good coffee in Colombo, but having read the previous reviews, I went out of my way to find this cafe. I should have known when I walked through the door. It was like walking into Starbucks with all the bling, but even Starbucks coffee is better than this. I've traveled the world drinking coffee, and I'm a barista judge, but I've never tasted anything so foul.

Visited December 2012
“Amazing coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our hotel owner recommended this place. Tough to find but totally worth it. The best espresso I've ever had, other coffee drinks really good too. I saw some people complaining about slow service in the reviews. This isn't a place to go if you're in a hurry. It's a place to have a seat and converse with the extremely knowledgable shop manager. I highly recommend this plae. Sandwich was great too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere