“Buffet with Ocean Front View” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 321 Restaurants in Colombo
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dhaka
“Buffet with Ocean Front View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Go for the view and the sea spray in your hair. The buffet is a large spread and it is not all that great. But, the view!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Arabic first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Mediocre food & below average service not what you would expect from Galle Face Hotel.!! Over priced for what it is.!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I visited this restaurant last weekend to celebrate one of my friends birthday party. The food was mediocre bland and lack of flavor. Three types of rice, Avg Singaporean Chili Crabs and few other choices. The display grill had some good cuts of fish but unfortunately they are not seasoned. I asked for a slice of fish and a pice of calamari to be grilled from the display grill, and for my disappointment I was given what I asked for with out any seasoning or flavor, calamari tasted like rubber and the piece of fish was tasteless. From a place like Gall Face Hotel I would expect to see using various types of regional flavorings and marinations at the grill such as tandoor or spice rubbed... I had 3 choices of sauces for my "grilled seafood" by the display grill and they were awful. Chopped garlic in clarified butter, some off white color alfredo looking sauce (sauce is broken due to the heat) and "cocktail sauce" quit frankly it was tomato ketchup. It was shocking for me to know that the executive chef of Galle Face Hotel would not know the difference between ketchup and cocktail sauce which consist of horseradish tomato purée and worcestershire sauce.
The salads were hidden away inside the desserts room which were not visible from outside. None of us from our table realized that there were any salads until we went inside to grab the desserts. What a shame.!! Please invest few bucks on signage indicating Salads and Desserts inside of a room.!!
The service was very slow, the servers were not trained to check on their tables once the service has begun. Even though it was a self served buffet style, it would be nice to see the servers check in with their tables for drinks. I saw a floor manager around but I never saw him talking to any tables. One more thing rubbed me the wrong way is their pricing strategy , Apox 1950 rupees ++ per person and 60 rupees for water... Come on guys, where is the perceived value .?? I would rather pay 2000 rupees and you give me free water..... Very poor overall operations. I expected lot more from a place like Galle Face Hotel.!!
On a positive note great ambiance, over looking the indian ocean, cool breeze, and if you are lucky you will experience live local music played by a Cortez style Band.! !

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Good food...room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beautiful location and a good spread of sea food, but not quite what I expected from a unique hotel like Galle Face Hotel. The service is very slow and staff mix up beverage orders. The place is really warm and they should look at placing more fans so that the diners dont suffer and boil. there is an action station managed by one staff so paying guests have to que up and stay for ages to get some grilled sea food. Parking can be a challenge in this place, specially on a week-end.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colombo Sri Lanka.
“The best 5 star quality Buffet bargain in Sri Lanka.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Asian Barbeque dinner Buffet on Sundays at the Sea Spray restaurant G.F.H. for Rs. 1600/= U.S.$ 12.5 per cover is worth writing home about. My friend of British/Lankan origins, living between Ireland, Sri Lanka and Australia kept my company. We were certainly spoilt for choice at having 70 items to choose from, Of a choice of 4 Hors d' oeuvres, I settled for Sushi with Wasabi and Soya sauce. My friend had Asian spiced seafood on carrot crisps and Chilli Beetroot "Marie Rose".
From the 2 choices of Soup I ate the Lemon grass infused roasted Pumpkin soup.His choice was Tempered Prawn soup. From a choice of 6 salads at the bar I had Tuna with onions, green chillies and raw Thai papaya with green chilli soya. His choice was Tomato, sliced Cucumber, carrot juliennes & seasonal greens with a special cocktail sauce.
The open air grill offers 8 choices. I settled for Lamb Kebabs with Korean barbeque sauce &
mint chutney. My friend settled for Beef Teriyaki Steak with honey & paprika emulsion.
There was a tempting offer of 12 Chaffing s. I choose stir fried vegetables with Ginger. My friend enjoyed his sauteed Spinach with Chilli garlic. Our South African Sauvignon Blanc kept
us company. From a tempting array of 9 desserts I ate the fresh fruits in season and he Mango & cream. Finally we sipped Benedictine to help our digestion. We were a part of a group of 140 all over 60 yrs, once from the same "alma mater". "Esto Perpetua", " Un repas par-fait".

Colombo
“Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The dinner buffet offers reak value for money. The buffet includes a reasonalble spread of sea food. Ideal to entertain a crowd. The restaurant is made for outddor dining so it could get a little warm on a humid day.

Overrall good food, good fun great place to hangout with a crowd.

Visited January 2013