“Excellent food but service tends to be hit-or-miss” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Harrisburg, PA
“Excellent food but service tends to be hit-or-miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am an expat who has dined at Rosewood at least 30 times. I have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. The food is consistently excellent and, in a filthy, polluted city populated by so many idiot drivers such as UB, the Rosewood is a real treat. The place itself has a welcoming, intimate sort of ambiance and the staff never rush you. So you can linger at your ease. I notice that recently they have expanded their hours which is good. Previously, they were closed at odd times which was really rather annoying. The menu has sufficient variety to please many tastes. They make their own breads and desserts there, which have a real fresh home-made taste.

The location is fairly convenient and in one of the cleaner parts of town. It's on the same road as several embassies. Parking is usually sufficient but you do have to be aware that some inconsiderate driver will park behind you, blocking you in.

The only real complaint is that the service is spotty. The Rosewood is almost always well staffed so that's not the issue; it's that the staff don't always seem to know how to handle customers. When you enter, you'll get a friendly smile, but often there is no attempt to show you to a table, even in a minimal way. Some of the servers speak English pretty well and are experienced enough by now that they do a good job. But others' English is so limited that they don't even get the orders right. On at least three different occasions, after the server has taken our order, another comes back to re-take the order because the first really didn't understand what you told them. Which, of course, adds to the waiting time for your food. That said, the food usually does come fairly quickly. And I've never been served a dish that had sat in the kitchen too long waiting for pick-up, so that's a plus. It also seems that lately the management has made a real effort to improve the service skills of the waitstaff because, at least now, they check back during the course of a meal, which they often did not do before.

The prices seem reasonable, not only by UB standards but compared to other foreign cities in which I've worked. I intend to continue to patronize Rosewood Cafe.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
RosewoodCoffeeHouse, General Manager at Rosewood Coffee House, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback. We are fans and advocates of detailed feedbacks as it helps us correct the problem areas that may occur. It is difficult to find staff that speak enough English and because of their lack of language knowledge they can be shy and afraid to approach guests. With the start of the new year we are starting English lessons with all of our staff by an expat English teacher. We hope this improves the language barrier problem as experienced by you. Thank you for your patronage we truly appreciate it.

Perth, Australia
“Great sandwich. Just need to find it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great lunch option. Service was above par. Thankfully some locals showed me the way. Just a quick walk from the Square. Will go again.

RosewoodCoffeeHouse, Manager at Rosewood Coffee House, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello Mark,

My name is Enkhzaya, I am the general manager at Rosewood Coffee House. I am absolutely thrilled you had a wonderful experience at Rosewood. Treating our guests with genuine hospitality and simple but delicious food is our goal. We are opening a second location on Seoul Street that will be easier to find, because I do agree our current location is a bit hard to find. This way we appease our guests that want a hidden gem restaurant as well as our guests that may not be familiar to the city.

9990-6725
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“I want this place to succeed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I visited Rosewood twice. The first time I visited, I came during the rush lunch hour. I was happy to see a mix of clients...foreigners and locals. They were busy, but the service was very good by UB standards. The owner/manager was actively on the floor and assisting customers and taking customers' orders (this impressed me because I've been to other restaurants here where the owners/management can barely lift a finger...and/or prefer barking at their staff). I was happy with the food. My veggie panini and side of parmesan fries were delicious. From what I noticed, the management treats their staff well...all of the servers were very energetic and happy and attentive. However, the second time I visited, I sat in the area to the left of the main room. The restaurant was busy...I wasn't in a big hurry, but after waiting for 15 minutes and not being approached, I quietly decided to leave.
Don't complain about prices if you are looking for western food. Fresh ingredients cost more at the markets here...so you will pay more in the restaurants. I think the prices here are very fair.
This place is actually not far from Sukhbaatar Square. It's really not that hard to find. Go east from Sukhbaatar Square...when you see the building with Berlin Burger and Jet School, turn right...Rosewood is on your right at the end of that short street.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
My name is Enkhzaya, I am the general manager at Rosewood Coffee House. I sincerely apologize you were not greeted immediately upon arrival, because that is definitely not our usual practice. Our side room does tend to get overlooked when we are busy and I have started to take measures to make sure we give it extra attention. I hope you give Rosewood another try and we will be sure to not disappoint you. I would like to personally invite you to dine with us, so please contact me before your arrival and I will make sure you are well taken care of next time.

9990-6725
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“Slow Service High Prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The food is tasty here. They have some good sandwiches, but you pay about twice what you would expect to pay at other places. It is also in an inconvenient location. If you want good coffee and sandwiches, Cafe Ti Amo has much better coffee, and much better service and prices and 4 locations in UB.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
RosewoodCoffeeHouse, Manager at Rosewood Coffee House, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We do agree that we are off the beaten path for most but many of our regulars actually prefer this! We are, however, opening a second location on Seoul street this December. As for our prices, they are a reflection of the quality, organic product we use for every menu item. Not only that, we make everything in house! We use the best vendors available like many high end restaurants in UB, such as, Monet and Azzuro, but we keep our prices as low as possible.
Beijing
“Excellent coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The coffee is the real reason to come here, and the reason for the 5 stars. They start with quality coffee beans and craft excellent cappuccinos and lattes. If you are a lover of delicious, perfectly made coffees then you will be in heaven!

The food is good too, though they are a bit heavy handed with the oil, especially on the paninis. The salads are fresh and delicious. This place is a budget killer, but worth it for the high quality dishes they serve.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RosewoodCoffeeHouse, Manager at Rosewood Coffee House, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
We are ecstatic that you enjoy our coffee! After all, quality, artisan coffee is exactly why Rosewood was started.
In regards to our pricing; we definitely understand that we are pricier than the local restaurants, but, please understand, in order to provide our guests with the best possible we use the highest quality ingredients we can source. Sometimes that means paying a lot more for local organic or flying in fresh seafood from Korea. However, as Mongolia develops further and we have access to less expensive products we will surely bring down our prices accordingly. We hope that you can taste the difference of organic, fresh, and made from scratch when you eat here :)