“Relaxing beautiful lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 178 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Relaxing beautiful lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I came to the Eco lodge on the recommendation of a friend. To start, the staff was super friendly and helpful. Over the course of 4 days I had several amazing conversations with owner(originally from england) and several of his staff(all originating from one of the two the local villages). The food was both tasty and reasonably priced. The restaurant adjacent to the lodge is also quite tasty. I opted for the dormitory option which during the low season amounts to a private room with shared bathroom.
Rivertime bills itself as an ecolodge. For them, that means maintaining a very sustainable footprint(minimizing construction, purchasing locally, recycling, etc...) and supporting the local community. The lodge encourages education and learning english through a combination of financial support and a bit of volunteer work. I was lucky to arrive at the start of a new program started by a Laos national who grew up in the USA. The lodge provided staff, housing, and transportation to help him start a new football program geared at kids. Guests were encouraged to come out and help. All in all, I was quite impressed by the genuine desire to help the lodge showed. Many other places use ecolodge more as a marketing point - Rivertime uses it more as a reminder of why they are there.

Room Tip: If you are wanting wi-fi in your room, mention that to them ahead of time. Certain rooms get a stro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely loved my five nights at the Rivertime. Really got the feel of Laos culture and it's amazing people. Spent Lao Pii Mai here and will never forget it. A million thanks to Barnaby, all staff and "Mr.Paul" for making my stay so memorable. Massage by the lady from the village was the best I've ever had. Food was superb and the beer was cold. Very reasonable prices aswell. Would love to go back and probably will. Thanks again, Bettina

• Stayed April 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We loved our time here, we stayed for 2 nights but could have stayed for a lot longer. The rooms were great, with mosquito nets around the beds and a lovely bathroom. Each lodge even had its own balcony. However we spent most of our time at the floating restaurant as everybody (staff and visitors) were very friendly and the food and drink was very resonable. We played in the river and with the tubes in the swimming pool type thing in the river. We also took part in a ceremony one evening which was nice. The highlight of the trip was the local village trip as Sit took us to the local school and we walked around the village. Its a great place to relax and all the staff go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I left my phone in the room and they even brought it back to Vientiene for me the following day. I would really recommend a trip here - the scenery is beautiful and the eco lodge is great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Rivertime was just what I needed to have a fabulous, guilt-free vacation by myself. I booked a single room with a shared bathroom, and brought some school supplies for a local Lao school since Rivertime is a clearinghouse for such donations(see packforapurpose.org). Then, in the span of a week, I enjoyed kayaking, a cooking lesson, a massage, inner tubing, a Buddhist ceremony, and Hmong village tours. I ate my meals on Rivertime's floating restaurant and kicked back on the hammock in the sun, reading my book. I made friends with the chatty locals who came down to the lodge to eat or have celebrations.

The grand total to Rivertime for such fun? Less than $200 for everything. Thank you, Rivertime. I returned to the states feeling like a better version of myself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sasebo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

RIVERTIME was simply amazing! Shortly after arriving, we knew we did not want to leave so soon. The setting could not have been more ideal it was a well needed getaway after busy Hanoi. We spent hours down by the river and could not have been more content.The staff made our stay incredibly comfortable and assisted us with our every whim - a special thank you to everyone there! It was a short stay but we will never forget it. Thank you so much for this once in a lifetime opportunity! Continue to do the great work with the local community - it's inspiring to us all!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I spent a total of 3 weeks at Rivertime towards the end of my 10 month travelling trip - I stayed for a week, and love the place so much I came back for another two weeks. It's the perfect place to come if you want to get away from it all and experience Laos life. Barnaby and the staff are the loveliest people you could meet, and whether you're visiting for 2 days or 2 weeks you're treated like 'one of the family'. The nearby villages are great to visit, and you do feel like you're the only foreigner around for miles. The river is such a peaceful place to sit by and watch the world go by, read a book, chat with the staff and enjoy a beer or two. I had great fun learning Laos with the staff and teaching them a bit of English, and we spent hours and hours playing Uno - which was a great way of interacting with some of the staff whose English wasn't great. This is not the place to come if you want action action action...it's the place to come for complete and utter peace and quiet and fun and laughter. I miss Rivertime immensely and can't wait to go visit my new Laos family again some day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed as a family with two kids (aged 7 and 9) for three days and loved it. It was a great place to relax after the mayhem of Bangkok. The staff were very friendly, playing with and minding the kids while still delivering a laid-back but decent service. There's a relaxed feeling to the place, with guests (if they wish) joining each other and the owner, Barnaby, for a communal dinner and a couple of beers in the evening . There's a few things to do when not relaxing or lazing in the pool - We all had a gentle (relative to the Thai version), relaxing massage, visited the nearby village, went tubing down the river a couple of times, and there's other activities that we didn't do. The cottages set back in the jungle are spacious, and everything worked (except for when there was a power cut that affected the whole area after a torrential downpour - It was the monsoon season!). While not pristine, the rooms, beds and bathrooms were clean enough. The place is rustic (and not for those expecting the Hilton), but that is past of it's charm. Just what we were looking for!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rivertime Resort and Ecolodge? Share your experiences!