“This restaurant changed my world!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ban Gai House of Chicken y Tex Mex Cantina

Ban Gai House of Chicken y Tex Mex Cantina
Sokpaluang Road | Across from HHI Apartments/German Embassy, Vientiane 123, Laos (Formerly Ban Gai House of Chicken)
+856 2098526363
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 236 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Café
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Please come visit Vientiane's only Tex Mex serving the finest and freshest dishes from scratch made fresh everyday.Sizzling imported beef fajitas, authentic enchiladas, tacos, giant stuffed burritos, and MORE!! We still serve Laos first and only Fried Chicken and Waffles, fresh spicy Hot Wings, Sweet Potato french fries, handmade buttermilk biscuits, full breakfast and gourmet coffee. Authentic Tex Mex. Asian food, US Southern Comfort food, if it's chicken, we make it!! Open Tues-Sun, 11:00-9:30 WE DELIVER
Vientiane, Laos
“This restaurant changed my world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Living in Vientiane, I used to only eat Mexican food once a year - when I traveled to Chiang Mai, Thailand for an annual work conference. But now with Ban Gai, I can have it whenever I want!

You can't order wrong at Ban Gai - everything is delicious. The giant stuffed burrito is probably the best deal for portion/price (35,000 LAK) but the beef, crunchy tacos are my favorite thing to order (38,000 LAK). The tamales are good but the portion size is really small and the only thing I wouldn't recommend is the chimichanga. If a chimichanga is what you're after, order the UFO (60,000 LAK). It sounds gross, but is actually pretty tasty! And if your meal comes with beans, ask for the re-fried beans. They're amazing. The staff is also really great. Ban is super sweet and takes care of her customers really well (as do the rest of the staff).

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“One meal in Vientiane and what a great one!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We came here after some people we met in Puang Prabang told us about their time here during the New Year. It did not disappoint. My better half ate the chicken fajitas, perfect marinate and oh so good with a cold margarita. Speaking of, these things are strong. I deided to face temptaion and eat their thing called UFO, a deep fried tortilla full of what I don't know, but it is cheesy and delicious. Again, best served with a frozed margarite. The girl said her husband is from Texas so look for a definite Tex Mex slant with lots of cheese, grilled meats, and spicy tastes. Like some others said, the tuk tuk ride from the center was well worth it. Our driver took us there and waited for us to eat, all for 30,00 kips. Sad to say, we had to fly early the next day so we didn't have any other meals in the city. Viva Ban Gai.

Visited April 2014
“Giant Burritos!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have been to Ban Gai on several occasions and almost always order the giant burrito when we go. If you are really hungry, get the burrito! It is tasty, super filling and is a good value. The staff at the restaurant are really friendly and attentive. We live close to the restaurant so no problem getting to it but if you are coming from town, it is definitely worth the tuk tuk ride if you are craving Mexican!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Incredible tex-mex and so cute and happy! GO THERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I love Mexican food, and a burrito with guacamole is one of the "home foods" I miss most after four months on the road. This exceeded my expectations! For one, the staff were adorable - so warm and friendly, with great English. They even ran next door and bought us two little water guns to join in because we were having a good laugh watching them celebrate the start of Laos New Year! It's those little things that make a place memorable. You could tell they were all happy in their jobs, and it showed in their service as well as their demeanour. They refilled our water glasses constantly, and our food was hot, fresh, and so incredibly good.

For reference, my boyfriend had the UFO which he called deliciously cheesy, and I had the stuffed giant burrito, which was indeed GIANT! Really quality fajita beef in it, and although I'm usually the kind who just like guac with my burrito, I got it "wet" with chili gravy, and I think it actually made a huge difference.

For anyone who thinks it's too far, you're nuts and you're really missing out! It cost us 20,000 kip from the downtown river area to get there, so $2-3 USD. Totally worth it and it would be easy to get to by bike or as part of a trip to the COPE center which is on the way (as I think someone mentioned already :))

Love this place! Came back twice, and that's all we could squeeze in before leaving. Keep up the awesome work!

Visited April 2014
Vientiane, Laos
“Not as far out of town as you think, and worth the trip - great mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just to put distances in perspective, Ban Gai is probably just a fraction over 1km from the Morning Market, so it's not such a long way out of the town centre. It's cheap and quick in a tuktuk and easily reachable on a bicycle if you fancy lunch. I really would not advise walking or cycling after dark, as Khouvieng Road has pretty hairy driving sometimes.
As for food, this is some of the most enjoyable Mexican food I have ever had. Not necessarily the classiest, but just yummy. The chilli-laced cheese sauce on their enchilada is heavenly.
Parn the Lao owner is a lovely lady and the staff are very friendly. Service is quick and efficient.

• Visited February 2014