“Beautiful hotel - service could improve” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Pang Kham Street | PO Box 1618, Vientiane, Laos   |
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Vientiane
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Australia
“Beautiful hotel - service could improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

The hotel is a beautiful old colonial building with a lovely pool and good sized rooms. The staff were friendly, but displayed no initiative in providing service. I am not sure if it was a language problem, which it may well have been, as some of the staff did not speak very good english. For example, my husband and I spent an afternoon by the pool and not one staff member came near us for the entire time. For a hotel of this quality and price, the breakfast was average. The pastries seemed stale and the fruit was not ripe. Overall we were disappointed in our experience as there was a lack of interest in providing good service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Singer Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We have stayed in many hotels in Asia for the same price bracket, this by far is the best, its undergoing refurbishment, but we found it central for west end and shopping. Its clean,room was very comfortable,air conditioned,and quiet,we shall be using this hotel next time if we have chance to visit Lao again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Luang Prabang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Come back for sure
ddadflk;ajf
adfkajdf;lkajdf;lkasjdf;lkajdf;lakjsdfal;kdfja;ldkfja;lsdkjf;alkdsjf;alksdjf;lakdsjf;lakdsjf;laksjdf;lakj

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Basel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I used the pool several times and ate at the restaurant. I enjoyed the atmosphere, it was only a short distance from my hotel (Family Hotel) and so I deced to relax there at the pool, have a couple of nice - very nice - meals and relish in the surroundings. It is a very nice place full of colonial flair. The service in the restaurant was decent, with some minor flaws, but they are friendly and seek to accomdate you, even at odd hours. So I look back with nostalgia.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Muenchen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel appears to be some sort of heritage hotel although some structures are new. The greatest advantage is the nice pool with a lot of green. Probably the only hotel in Vientiane offering that. As my wife travelled with me that was the reason for having selected the hotel. I would recommend the hotel only for that feature.
The location is next to a busy road and communication transmitter mast, but very central. Rooms were clean and nicely furnished. Water from the shower was just warm, never hot, and flowing rather moderately. Fixtures are old. We had two different rooms because we stayed there again after our return from Luang Prabang; in the first one the toilet seat had seen many years passing by. It was cleaned but had a yellowish inner rim from many years of service. On the second stay they gave us the smallest and simplest room despite the hotel being almost empty. I did not complain becuase we left the next day. The room of the first stay was a bit better. But the lesson I learned: they are not kean to treat their customers. They just deliver.
Breakfast buffet is basic. Rolls were not baked but simply taken from a bag of half baked rolls. Croissant were good the other day; fruit selection basic. Wireless internet is available but very slow. It takes forever to connect to the router, and later on to access internet. It is not suitable for business use. Because of my official business we got the government rate of 150US$ including taxes. However, in comparison to other hotels in Laos and other cities of Asia, the rates of this hotel are too high, I'd say twices of what would be reasonable.
When we had left the first time I had left some laundry with them. During my flight to Luang Prabang I noticed that I had left some money in the back pocket of my trousers. I called the hotel immediately from the other hotel and told them; there was a delay of 4h only. But the money was allegedly already gone. Difficult to me to believe ; though, I admit it was my fault to have it left in the trousers.
When I had forgotten my camera in the Meridien in Siem Reap a few days before, they had already secured the camera when I called the same evening from Phnom Penh. That is what I call honesty.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
jtheodas, Owner at Settha Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Dear Mr. Mailaender,

Warm greetings from the Settha Palace Hotel.

I recently read your review of your stay with us on Tripadvisor and would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for your candid review. I realize that you felt let down on both stays. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards during that time, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our management team and we will be looking into rectifying the issues related to the following:

1) The condition of all the bathroom fixtures, including the performance of the showers, hot water temperature and toilet seat covers.

2) The performance of Internet access. We will be installing several stronger wireless access points throughout the hotel to further improve connectivity in every room.

3) The quality & selection of the breakfast buffet.

Thank you again for your constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better.

Yours sincerely,
Jacques Theodas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I stayed in the Settha three nights while on holiday in Vientiane. The hotel is fairly old, but oozes french-colonial charm. The rooms are fairly spacious, with very high ceilings. The bed was a little hard for my taste, but comfortable nonetheless. The bathroom had a full tub. There is a nice, small pool behind the hotel. The staff was exceptionally friendly, though I think everyone I encountered in Laos was friendly. The hotel has a great location, close to several of the major sights in Vientiane, but is still fairly quiet at night. My only complaint is that the internet was wifi was fairly slow.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is not a cheap hotel by lao standards, perhaps my service expectations were to high. Were not met by the hotel driver at the airport. When we asked about the pick up at reception they found the booking and laughed at us. The hotel is very beautiful and well located to the centre of town, with great rooms and pool. However lacked some real basics. No hair dryer, 3 tissues, bed turndown came at 9pm. There appears to be no interest by local drivers to hang around the front of the hotel. We resorted to a very expensive one way trip in the hotels car and a trip in an air conditioned van to the Budda Park at 35USD both organised by the hotel. Breakfast was the best during our trip, however this is still not saying a lot. Why the lack of fresh baggettes in former french colonies hotels. Only ever had them served at breakfast once (Hanoi Elegance Hotels) and look at the positive review they recieve. Map of town and an idea of what the hotels facilities were and where they are would also go a long way. The reasons why this hotel is not rated higher on this site are obvious, can not understand why they havent been fixed.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Settha Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!