“Nice Restful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Win Hotel

Win Hotel
You added Win Hotel to your Saves list
Win Hotel
Chao Anou Road | Ban Anou, Chanthabouly District, Vientiane 2000, Laos (Formerly Vanhuong Hotel)   |
Ranked #34 of 173 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice Restful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very well located hotel just a few minutes from the market and very close too to banks, cafes etc.
It is very close to the town centre and all the attractions. The hotel rents bikes for a few dollars a day and it is only about ten minutes or so to the Victory Arch, the riverside. It is about 20 mins cycle to the golden stupa.
The Win is very clean with very friendly staff. The a/c and TV were poor and shower was very weak but any experienced traveller will know that if that is the worst thing I can say to criticise this place, then it must not be a bad joint at all! And it isn't! The hotel is lovely, quiet and restful - just like Vientiane.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Thai first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just been there at end June, the hotel is very normal, clean room, with a TV, the signals were weak and there's some static running on the screen all the time. Staffs were helpful, we asked them for attractions / places to go and they pointed us the way helpfully. However, think the price for the hotel is higher than what it's really worth for.

We got ripped off by a staff there when we booked a sleeping VIP bus to Luang Prabang, they sold the tickets to us for 250,000kips each, including pickup from hotel, (which is about 40USD) and we went to some other agency to check later on which they offered to sell us the tickets at 200,000 kips, including the pickup too. We checked with another hotel receptionist the next day which she then told us it's 200,000 kips and the other guy made a "mistake" in charging us 250,000 kips (which we don't know if it's really a mistake or not).

Best to check out prices from different places for tickets to other locations. When we reached the bus station, we realised the ticket price for VIP Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang is only 130,000 kips, no idea where the other 70,000 kips flew to, maybe for the pickup from hotel (which trust me, I think it's much much much cheaper if you halted a tuk tuk and go there yourself.)

Room Tip: Just try to find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Great range of rooms for different budgets. Rooms all kept well cleaned. Very central just 2 blocks from the river. Staff incredibly helpful and alway friendly. Only drawback is that like most hotels in vientianne it is a bit overpriced but still great value in relation to what you get for the same money any where else.

• Stayed June 2012
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked our 2 night stay through Agoda based upon the good reviews. As I was in a hurry I failed to cross reference reviews with TA. Fatal error. I later read someone had reported money stolen from their room, allegedly by a member of staff and that management failed to take appropriate action, (a not too dissimilar experience we later shared).

On our first morning after breakfast I realised with horror I had left my handbag in the dining/lobby area. I raced down to the reception but there was no bag. I asked the male receptionist who spoke relatively good English if he had seen it. He said no. I began to panic. The bag contained 2 credit cards and over £300 ($480) We never usually carry this much money but were planning to travel to remote places. The receptionist said perhaps the small tour group of elderly Vietnamese may have taken it by ‘mistake’ and he would speak with them upon their return later that afternoon. I thought this highly unlikely.

Upon noting their CCTV camera I asked to see the footage. For the next hour we were subjected to a barrage of excuses as to why staff ‘could’ not access the CCTV. We waited patiently. The receptionist asked us not to call the police and kept asking us to return in a hour. In the end we had to go to the bank to withdraw some cash.

One hour later we returned and were met by a smiling receptionist and owner. The receptionist told us a ’guest’ had found my bag. I was overjoyed (temporarily) until I realised that over £200 had been taken. I relayed this to the receptionist whose previously good English mysteriously began to evaporate. The owner offered to reimburse us half of the money, which we initially refused (I felt guilty at having left my bag in the first place). We tried to elicit some more information but were met with a blank expression and ‘feigned’ ignorance .

We spoke with other disgruntled guests who felt they had been ‘short-changed’ by the receptionist when applying for visas. Later that day we asked the receptionist again if we could view the CCTV film. He refused. We explained we would like to see and talk to the ‘guest’ who had ’handed’ back my bag. He told us that the Vietnamese tour group had checked out at 3 pm (we later saw them return at 8 pm). We finally asked him to call the police. He refused. He then started to shout at us and became very aggressive. We retreated to our room and checked out early the next day.

There were other examples during our stay where any requests made were treated with either total disdain or complete indifference. Breakfast although tasty was very small and when we asked for either milk, sugar, tea or butter we were simply told that there was none. Any good points we might have identified about this hotel has been obliterated by the rude attitude and behaviour of staff.

We are seasoned travellers in SE Asia and for the last five years have lived in central Asia. Until this experience we have never been subjected to such ill treatment and rude behaviour by staff at any hotel. Thankfully we did not let this early experience in Laos mar our future travels in this lovely country.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here one night as part of a G Adventures group. The room was clean and the AC worked well. Breakfast is provided in the morning. The Wi-Fi only worked in the hotel lobby. The location is okay - a couple of blocks from the busy part of Vientiane.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived at Win hotel everything seemed normal. I noticed a room rate sheet when I was at the counter and noticed the rate was half what I had paid on Agoda. When I inquired about the rate of the room for staying an extra night, the clerk told me it was the same as whatever I paid on Agoda. I pointed to the sheet with room rates and he said it was for another hotel. It clearly had the old name on the sheet but I saw him show these exact rates to people off the street.

The TV didn't work well and the wifi is weak except on the main floor.

The breakfast is alright but if you ask for more coffee or tea they seem annoyed. When we asked for our passports back from the hotel safe the clerk seemed confused about the request. It took nearly ten minutes to make our request clear.

We left our bags in storage for the day and then picked up our laundry offsite (cheaper). We got our bags without problem and began organizing our ruck sacks for our bus journey at night. After we were nearly finished the same clerk came by and told us how rude we were being to everyone and that there was a room we could've done that in. He made a big deal of this in front of other guests to which I thought was rude and extremely unprofessional. I apologized to he guests but they remarked that it hadn't bothered them at all.

In the end, there is better value for your money in Vientiane with kinder staff.

• Stayed April 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012 via mobile

It might not be the best choice but with the price that you paid for a hotel, it should consider fair enough. The room is fine. Service can be improved. The good thing is it has free wifi. The breakfast is not convinience as the hotel fix the breakfast time from 7-9am which is very short!

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Win Hotel? Share your experiences!