“Clean overpriced room, no wifi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chanta Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Chanta Guest House
You added Chanta Guest House to your Saves list
Ban Mixay, Setththailat, Vientiane, Laos   |
Ranked #106 of 178 Vientiane B&B and Inns
“Clean overpriced room, no wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and were disappointed. The room was 80,000 kip for air conditioning in a double room. It had a one shared bathroom but with way too many rooms. It also had no wifi. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I have been travelling around S.E. Asia for the past month, each time relying on a combination of Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor recommendations. So far, we hadn't been disappointed... until last night. We based our decision to stay at Chantha purely because it was LP's top pick for Vientiane on a budget, so we thought it couldn't be that bad. Upon first inspection, the room looked ok (albeit a bit scruffy).

However, once we tried to settle in, we noticed the place was filthy, epecially the bedsheets. We laid our own travel sheets on top, but still felt gross laying on the bed. Everything else in the room was also pretty tatty, including the bathroom sink that was half hanging off the wall.

Then we tried to sleep, but this became impossible with the army of stray dogs outside the window barking at anything that moved (or didn't). Sleeping in was also impossible as someone started banging a hammer at 7.22am (could it not wait 2 hours?!).

I'm currently writing this review in the room itself, the first time I've felt compelled to write a review ASAP while the disgustingness of the place is still fresh in my mind.We will be packing our things shortly and finding better accommodation.

This is the last time we base our decision on LP alone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I totally agree with whooshbang! The place was nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be, especially when your only paying 85,000 for a private double. I chatted with other travellers around Vientiane and the next step down from here is 50,000 a night and is the biggest bed bug infested hell hole you can imagine so count yourself lucky.

My room was a decent size, was clean, had air con and a fridge. The staff are really helpful and nice. I'm stopping in Vientiane again on my way north and will intend on staying again.

Totally worth it for the budget backpacker.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly putting a hotel down because there are Mosquitos is a little unfair.... Your in SE Asia, wear protection. first i'd like to comment on how friendly the staff were during my 6 night stay here. There was always someone there to help me which is more than I can say for a lot of places. The rooms - okay so not freshly painted - there are more than adequate cleanliness wise. Air con was very good, shower was hot and good and a bath tub which is a treat. also had rotary fan which is good, wi-fi in room good. Bed comfy and clean, not a bug in sight. I admit my room wasn't automatically cleaned daily but upon request it was sorted. The restaurant downstairs is very good, service excellent and with a smile. I'm not giving this place top marks but I think the people who made bad comments here have exaggerated. It's almost like you traveled as a group and have band together to slate it at spaced out dates. I'd stay here again no problems. David (solo traveler)

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

How this place is "our pick" in the lonely planet I do not know! We left the room after about ten minutes it was that bad and I am not a picky person. The whole room was disgusting and dirty, the sheets where yellow with weird stains on them And it wasn't even cheap from one traveller to another avoid this place!

• Stayed September 2012
Bray, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was by far the worst place we stayed while traveling through Asia. When we arrived it was early and badly raining so we got t this place. We had read very good reviews about it so when the guy asked us did we want to see our room before we paid we said no that we were happy enough with the reviews(worst mistake ever). It was also very central to everything so we felt we couldn't go wrong. The hallyways smelled of smoke. You had to take your shoes off to leave them downstairs and walk up a stairs with a dirty carpet. In out room there was a terrace with we could of sat outside on but there was so many Mosquitos around it was impossible, the terraces chair was broke and swarmed with Mosquitos. In the room was dreadful the bed sheet was dirty and the had dirty towels lay cross they end as our blanket. The bathroom shower didn't work, we didn't even attemp to step into it as the floor was so grimmy. There was whole in the walls so the mosquitos kept coming into the room. Thank god we only had paid for 1 ngt. We slept on top of the sheets with our own beech towels pull over us, constantly with one eye open incase more mosquitos came in. Only we wer on a bit of a tight budget at this stage we would of left this room as soon as we walked into it and just paid for another room else were. We checked out as early as possible and roamed the streets in search for anything but that hell hole. Never went of the lonely planets advice after that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I can only agree with everyone elses reviews. The room looked ok on first quick glance, and we stupidly took it as it was the last one and a bus had pulled up outside with a few people who were about to come inside for a room also.
We luckily didn't have any bed bugs, but the sheets were absolutely gross. They looked like they hadn't been washed in years and there were numerous black hairs in them. Bathroom was dirty too, hair in the shower, toothpaste marks all over the mirror.
Staff unfriendly and unhelpful.
What the hell were the Lonely Planet talking about?
I've been all over India and SE Asia on tight budget and this is the worst place I've been at so far. AVOID!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Chanta Guest House? Share your experiences!