“I really don't get why this place is not close to number one.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 237 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Description: La Scala Fine Italian Restaurant is managed by Maurizio Boccoli an Italian executive chef with 5 years cook school diploma in Rieti-Italy and over 27 years experience.Mr Boccoli is also co-owner of 2 more italian restaurant in Yangon-Myanmar.La Scala is a elegant and refined restaurant with beautifull burmese decoration in colonial style we serve the finest italian food also we provide a lunch buffet with many different dishes.Also we serve a wide selection 120 labels of italian wines.
Vientiane
“I really don't get why this place is not close to number one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I reviewed La Scala in September, and I have eaten there many times before and since. Ok, what "don't i get?" La Scala is an excellent restaurant. It is head and shoulders better than another Italian restaurant in town which seems to get many more accolades. I think there are two reasons for this, one due to the location of the other place.

La Scala is not the easiest place to find, but is on the road to the Australian Embassy, a short tuk tuk ride from town. Believe me the trip is worth it. The ambience is head and shoulders better than any other Italian restaurant, and possibly any other restaurant full stop in town. It is possible to et a meal in relative peace and quiet and not have to shout at one's partner to be heard. The service is very good without being obsequious. There is none of this nonsense of having to wait 70 minutes for my main course to arrive as i had to last night at a prominent La Scala competitor.

So what is the food like? I have reviewed restaurants and wine professionally in the past . La Scala would be a very high rating Italian restaurant in Australia, in Germany and in the States. The food is high quality, there is a good variety and the cooking is excellent. Dishes are plated attractively and the food is not just heaped onto the plate. Another thing i like that the cost of the dishes is inclusive. by that I mean there is none of this nonsense that a dish costs so much, but if you want shaved truffles then it is so and so much per gram dearer. What a load of nonsense! My Lao wife is exceptionally hard to please. When we had a poor experience last night at La Scala's main competitor she said, "I told you so." And she was completely correct.

La Scala's wine list is good and well balanced. There are a number of stars on the wine list, such as decent Barolos and Barbarescos if you want that.They are not exorbitant. There are lots of wines around the 200,000 Kip pricepoint, as opposed to the place i ate at last night, where most wines started at 400,000 Kip plus. It is not hard to find a very drinkable wine at La Scala.

I really wish this lace well, as in my opinion it is the best Italian in town by a long margin. La Opera, when it is in form will match La Scale, but you can forget the rest. So, why does it not rate higher? I wonder!

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vientiane
“Excellent Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is definitely close to the best Italian restaurant in town and is certainly superior to Aria and La Gondola. The only place that can match it is L'Opera when it is in form. The winelist is excellent and they have a very good range of wines by the glass.
The only downside is that it is a little out of town.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“Best Italian restaurant in Laos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I have just traveled to Vientiane on a Business trip and my counterparts in Laos suggested we tried the best Italian restaurant in town: the La Scala Italian Restaurant.

I told them that maybe the idea was not that good due to the fact that I'm Italian and rarely find good Italian cuisine outside of Italy. Boy was I wrong!

I am pretty sure that the La Scala is the best Italian restaurant in Laos; by far.

We ordered the set menu, a creation of the master chef, an very nice Italian by the name of Maurizio. The food was excellent, and so was the wine. Side note: there were more than 100 different names to select from.

Maurizio was so patient and kind and did not mind at all that I asked him so many questions in reference to the wine, the food, and Vientiane in general.

The restaurant itself is extremely beautiful, way nicer than any other one I saw in my 4 day trip in Vientiane. The decoration is very particular, a mix of carefully blended cultures, Italian and Laotian. It is clear that a lot of time and money has gone into making sure that the client feels comfortable as if he were at home, yet, at the same time, in an extremely elegant and chic environment.

I preferred outside sitting in the wonderful garden, which, at night time, must surely be inspirational and sublime.

I highly recommend this restaurant, especially for special occasions.

• 5 of 5 stars Food