“Avoid unless you like mice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Inter City Boutique Hotel

You added Inter City Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Inter City Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   24-25 Fa Ngum Rd. | Ban Wat Chan, Chanthabuly district, Vientiane, Laos   |
Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Vientiane
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid unless you like mice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I agree with other reviews about Mosquitos, I counted 15 or more in the lift alone. I would also add mice to its problems - I could hear them all night in the ceiling cavity above my room on the third floor (room 316). Bathrooms are pretty disappointing too for a hotel that is trying to be stylish.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Friendly staff throughout. General upkeep of the rooms for the money charged has much desire for improvement. Bonus is Mekong River view and a welcomed lift shaft as the hallways feel cluttered with colonial & oriental to say the least

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We booked a heavily discounted double room and still felt like it was overpriced. From the hotel facade to the inside of the room this place just looks abandonned. The bathroom was worse than in the cheapest guesthouses we've stayed at in small villages. Worst of all, our room was infested with moskitoes (no matter how many we killed they just kept coming back from the million holes in every corner of the room).

Neither the pleasant and helpful staff, the comfy beds (hard to find in laos) nor the quite decent breakfast were enough the make it up for our overall impression. Find better options eslewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed as part of a group trip, which meant I had no say in where I stayed. I don't know if the group leader was trying to stick it to me in some way because this was easily the crappiest room I've ever had the displeasure of staying in. I wanted a shower after getting out of bed, that's how bad it was.

Pros: #1 The hotel was directly across from the plaza where the night market is held. You can't beat that for location. #2 The plaza also happens to look over the Mekong River and the border between Laos and Thailand. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Cons: #1 I found a spider complete with cobweb ON MY PILLOW. Fortunately I'm not afraid of spiders and it was only a harmless long-leg spider but who is comfortable with the thought of that where they lay their face to sleep??? #2 The sheets and comforter were STAINED with something brown. I didn't want to inspect it too closely just in case I was further grossed out at the realization. #3 They leave you a non-slip mat in the bathroom, which was a nice gesture. Unfortunately seeing all of the mold on the mat reminded me of the importance of wearing flip-flops not just while showering but at all times. #4 My room was at the back of the hotel and the view out of my window was another building with a pile of rubble. #5 The hotel is right next to a karaoke bar. The music and singing is so loud and clear, I could hear how well (or badly) the person was singing and whether or not they got the right lyrics. I was up late but the music didn't stop until well after 1 AM. You would have been S.O.L. had you been trying to retire to bed early. #6 The hotel has a sign posted telling you not to leave your valuables in your room. That was understandable as there was no safe in the room but yet the front desk didn't have a safe for you to use, either. The best method for me to ensure the security of my passport and extra cash was to put them in an envelope, seal the flap with Scotch tape, sign my name with my room number and pray that the person sitting at the front desk didn't mistakenly hand it to someone else.

Recommendations: #1 The night market is a good way to spend time outside of your less-than-pleasant room. I had been to other locations before arriving in Vientiane so I had seen all of the products many times. I noticed the vendors were not very willing to negotiate on prices. You pretty much paid what price they asked. If the vendors offered a discount, it was very rare that the discount was more than 5,000 kip. #2 From looking at other reviews, you may have much better luck securing a room in the front of the hotel. I have no idea how much my room cost but it was definitely the bottom of the hotel's barrel.

Room Tip: Pay up for the nicest rooms at the front of the hotel or don't stay here at all
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here.It does have rough edges but it has real personality too.I loved the breakfasts and the staff were great.The markets near here are quite interesting and you get great views over the river.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here several times. The large lobby and the corridors are packed with interesting Asian artifacts. The rooms that we've stay in, all in the front, are spacious , and if you're on the third or fourth floor you'll have a view of the Mekong River. We like having the view but some may be bothered by the noise from the night market and the aerobics classes on the waterfront at dusk. Also, people staying in rooms on the east side of the hotel will have to deal with the loud music from the night club next door, although they seem to wind down by 2330. The bathrooms are seriously in need of updating.

Breakfast is nothing to write home about but they do cook eggs to order. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful.

This is really just a three star hotel, possibly only a two and a half, but I'll give it 4 stars for value, location, and personality.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel has a prime location on the Mekong river and the night markets set up right outside... The room was old but everything we needed, a big bed and a hot shower. It was clean and the sheets were changed and new towels by the time we got home on the second night. The staff were friendly and the receptionist spoke English well. The free breakfast was also great, they have a chef making omelettes and eggs to order. They also give you free water bottles and new ones after they clean.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inter City Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!