“Western standard of accommodation - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Central Mansions

You added Central Mansions to your Saves list
Central Mansions
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1A & 1B Street 102 | A-One Building, Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Formerly Colonial Mansions)   |
Ranked #43 of 223 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Cambridge
“Western standard of accommodation - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here for four nights on business and would definitely return next time we are in the city. Many other guests seemed to be ex-pats working in Phnom Penh on long term projects although others were tourists staying for a only a few nights. There had been a mix-up over our booking (not their fault) but this was handled faultlessly. The only available accommodation was a three-bedroom two bedroom apartment with living/dining/kitchen area so we could easily have been self-catering had we chosen to do so. Everything was finished to high-end Western standards. There are two large pools, a fitness centre and a small but very good restaurant on the ground floor which offers local and Western dishes. They even serve perfectly boiled eggs with 'soldiers' (fingers of buttered toast to dip into the 'just runny' egg yolks). My abiding memory of a memorable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I lived here for several months while I was working in Phnom Penh. Therefore, I will rate this from the perspective of a long term stay guest/renter instead of an a short term tourist.

Service in Cambodia is generally quite good from a hospitality perspective. Even 2 star guest houses usually will provide similar levels of service to western 3-4 star properties. So, when I say that service was outstanding, you know it was something. The staff learned my preferences and made sure my needs were taken care of. I always felt like I could reach out and get anything taken care of within reason. There were many times when the staff went above and beyond to make sure I could pull off a good dinner party or happy hour to entertain colleagues. management was always just a phone call, email, or office visit away.

Mr. Kim is the man who holds everything together. You can usually find him behind the front desk or running around making sure the front of the house is in order. If I needed something taken care of I went to him. It didn't matter if it was room related or just needing to get a watch repaired, he made it happen. If I could afford a personal assistant (or actually needed one), I would steal him away at the first chance.

The rooms are generally pretty nice. I moved into a brand new penthouse which had a few appliances that the local staff were not familiar with. Khmer kitchens usually don't involve dish washers, so I had to give the maids a class on how to use it. They quickly figured out it was far more time efficient just to wash my dinner plates every day though. All the rooms I saw were newly renovated and overall very livable. The only downsides is that on the western side of the hotel your sleep might be interrupted by some school kids 6 days a week around 6:30 am. If you can get over that, or get a higher room, or a room on the other side of the hotel, the rooms are very livable.

There is a western restaurant in the lobby which is also very good. The food is excellent and they will deliver up to your room. I joined their loyalty club and walked away with 3 mugs by the end of my stay.

The pools and gym are also very nice. I often killed some time in a little bit of paradise relaxing in either of the picturesque renovated pools. The gym has a good variety of equipment and adequate space. If you will be staying for a while, you can have the staff recommend a trainer for higher as well.

The only downside for short term stays is that there isn't a free breakfast. However, each room has a kitchen, so you can cook something up. If you don't want to cook, you can eat in the lobby or if you are very adventurous higher a cook for the duration of your stay. Khmer food is delicious! The front desk can hook you up.

Whether you stay here short or long term, my best advice would be to get to know the staff and never be afraid to ask for something. They never disappointed me.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the east for a great view of the city. If you can get a few nights in the east fa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

One of the best hotels in Cambodia. Yes , I have been to Cambodia , quite a few times and this is by far the best hotel I came across. The best part of Central Mansions is the unique personal touch and highly trained staffs. The owner who sat the front desk was very helpful and took extra attention of all guests staying at the hotel. Spacious rooms, well-fitted, with modern amenities and large bathrooms. The breakfast was however a slight disappointment. We had our meals at adjoining restaurants and cafes, mostly because there’s too many local eatery joint all across the streets and we wanted to try out local cuisines at those road side restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at Central Mansions for a total of four nights, split in between by a trip to Siam. We were very happy with the apartment. It was spacious, clean and well maintained. Ideal if you are travelling as a family or a larger group. It even has an almost full kitchen, convenient for breakfast and small meals.

It is very centrally located, and is a five minute tuk tuk ride to the Central Market. The hotel tuk tuks were always available when we needed them and were reasonable, compared to the other tuk tuk drivers with whom we had to haggle with a little bit. Most times the tuk tuk drivers knew where the hotel was located, and if not, we just showed them the business card that the hotel provided, with the name and map on the rear. We had no issues at all finding our way back to the hotel, after dinner.

The apt we were given during the latter two nights, we were not thrilled with. But when we complained, the property manager himself came and met with us even though it was his day off. Turns out that the apt had not been used for some time, and housekeeping did not do a good enough job of sprucing the place up. Once they gave it a thorough cleaning, it was fine.

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. They arranged for a reliable taxi for us for Siem Reap and back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived the receptionist staff had an indifferent attitude to greet us and check us in. The staff who showed us our room did not mention we had to flick a specific switch for hot water and when we enquiried reception about this they told us it would take 5 - 10 minutes of running the water before it would become hot, however we left the water running for over 20 minutes and it remained barely lukewarm and we had an almost cold shower.

What was most astonishing about the service here is that when we enquiried the night staff member about how much it would cost to go to sihnoukville he called his contacts and laughed with them etc on the phone (obviously they were friends/ regular business contacts) and then told us it would cost $140 one way when we know it should cost approx
$40-$60 max. He was clearly trying to scam us and would get a big fat cut from it. We declined and wanted to go back to our room to rest as it was really late but he was very persistent and wasted almost 20 minutes of our time trying to sell us this ride and called his other contacts insisting that was the market rate. Then, as we walked away towards the lift to go to our room he followed us like people do on the streets trying to sell you things. This is really unorofessional as hotel staff arr supposed to help you not scam their guests! The next day we asked the morning reception staff about the private car to sihnoukville and he charged us $60 which is also the higher end price from what we have read from travellers' reviews.

One night we needed a tuk tuk driver but as it was late and the location was quite secluded there were only two around but neither were manned. The night staff offered to take us by tuk tuk not sure why he had a tuk tuk, anyway we were going to tip him $5 when we got back to the hotel (the rate was $2 -$3 for the 5min ride) as we were in a hurry at the time he dropped us off as we lost something and needed to go find it. I was surprised that he asked for money when we got off the tuk tuk with the hand gesture of rubbing fingers together for "money". We asked how much, he said $3, we didn't have change and have him $5, he paused for a long moment to suggest tipping himself $2 knowing we were in a rush to find our lost belonging. We gave it to him but had he not asked we would have glady tipped him the $5. I was shocked that hotel staff would ask for money like that when it is a service they provide and of course in that specific case, guest should tip for the extra work they are doing for you, and we definitely would have. I would recommend having small change in $1 notes because often tuk tuk drivers including this hotel staff member pretend they don't have change and when it's $1, $2 or $3 they bet on you just saying don't worry about it/ for you/ tip etc.

Another stuff up by the hotel was giving us only one breakfast voucher for one person even though our booking included breakfast for two people. When we brought this to reception staff's attention after trying to have breakfast at the restaurant, they took their time checking and arguing as opposed to just giving us the 2nd bloody breafkast voucher.

The hotel itself is beautifully furnished, modern, clean with two pools and a small gym. The room was spacious, it was actually an apartment as opposed to a hotel room as it had a full kitchen and lounge area.

The location was hidden away near the US embassy and many of our tuk tuk drivers could not find it. It was not as central as we would normally stay.

All in all, for $90 a night compared $40 - $50 alternatives which seemed clean and decent was a big price to pay for the service /
scam we received in return. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Pros:
1) Facility: A very nice 2 bedroom setup with a common living room and kitchen works well for families. The apartment comes with with well appointed furniture and high quality bathroom fixtures.
Amenities: The hotel pool and gym facilities are nice and the overall feel of the building is adequately upscale.

Cons:
1) currency exchange (from Singapore or other non-US$ currencies),
2) change for large US notes ($50+)
3) being available to answer the phone since a lot of local drivers are challenged with finding their way (hotel is in a very good location, but drivers in PP are challenged)
4) Food options for dining were limited
5) Hotel should provide soap, and offer better quality shampoos/conditioner given the price

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed for a week and I liked this place. Here is my take on the pros and cons in no particular order:

Pros

1. Large, comfortable, clean apartments, newly renovated to a high standard
2. Very comfortable beds with good bedding
2. Nice, high class building, looks very nice at night with the pool lit up, will impress any visitors
3. Reasonably fast internet
4. Strong walk-in showers with very good hot water, as long as you turn on the switch
5. Staff was helpful but non-intrusive

Cons

1. I don't love the location, you can't really walk to anything except the US Embassy. It's not a bad location but it's not great. Reasonably short tuk tuk ride to the riverside.
2. No "bum guns" in the bathrooms
3. If you're on a low floor overlooking the pool, you can get noise from kids playing and splashing in the pool. Also, some of the rooms overlook a school, low floor rooms can get noise from the school playground, though it's not too bad
4. Housekeeping service was erratic. My rate included daily housekeeping service, some days they wouldn't come until very late in the day, or they would bang on the door at 9 a.m. and when asked to return at a later hour they wouldn't come back. The apartments appear to have "DND/please make up the room" red and green lights outside the door to signal housekeeping; my apartment had no switch I could find to turn on these lights
5. Although internet is fast you have to re-log in whenever you stop using the internet for 5 minutes or more.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Central Mansions? Share your experiences!