“Clean and quiet rooms in a busy neighborhood. Great shower.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fancy Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
Fancy Guest House
169B, Chan Reachea (St. 15), Phnom Penh 12205, Cambodia   |
Ranked #25 of 259 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Brussels
“Clean and quiet rooms in a busy neighborhood. Great shower.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

When we first walked into our room (number 100), I was having second thoughts. The ceiling was low, and the windows didn't face the street, which gave the room a bit of a claustrophobic feel. I thought: surely we can do better than this for 23 bucks. That said, the room grew on me after the first night. Despite the bustle of the neighborhood, it was quiet at night, probably because it actually didn't face the street. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was fantastic... one of the strongest water pressures I've experienced in SE Asia. The A/C worked reliably, and the small fridge was a nice touch.

The hotel and the room were spotlessly clean. The owners were helpful without being too pushy. There is a well-stocked and reasonably-priced little shop with snacks, water and cosmetics next to the reception.

The wifi was very strong the first couple of days. Then it slowed down considerably for a bit but the owners resolved the problem promptly.

Stayed for four nights and would come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The room in this hotel was spacious and well equipped. We had a room with no window but were expecting that, and the lights in the room were bright. Bathroom was fine, and turns into a wet room when you've showered (again as expected for Cambodia) but the water drained well. We didn't feel the staff were as friendly as other reviews have suggested though. The manager didn't hold our reservation as he'd let the person in the room stay longer, so we were given a better room for the stay, albeit begrudgingly by the manager. Twice during this rooming fiasco when we were trying to understand what was going on a member of staff got annoyed and rudely stormed off without coming back mid-conversation! Apart from this the staff were mainly friendly, although didn't really go out their way to help. The room was decent enough though!

• Stayed January 2014
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My second stay at the Fancy Guest House and certainly not my last! A superb and exceptionally clean guest house in a great location...Mr Phannak, his family and staff are without doubt the loveliest people you could ever wish to meet;nothing is too much trouble and I thoroughly recommend anyone visiting Phnom Penh to stay here. You will find cheaper accommodation but you will not find more helpful and caring staff always there to tend to your needs; thank you Mr Phannak and to all your family and staff; I will see you again in late October. Anyone in the hospitality industry in the UK should visit the Fancy GH to see how its done properly!

Room Tip: The front rooms with the balconies are really lovely and you can watch the daliy/nightly activities...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I booked a room through Fancy's website. When I showed up, the manager explained they didn't have a room for me and sent me to his friend's hotel. When I asked him about the cost and whether or not I should settle the bill with the other hotel or him, he said "he would pay for the other hotel". I figured I was getting a room for free since he made a mistake and didn't honor my reservation. I went to the other hotel called Super Star. It was nasty. The room was filthy and it was very noisy. I didn't complain or move because I was getting it for free. The next night I moved to the Fancy. The room was basic, but very nice. No complaints there at all. However, when I went to check out, he had the nerve to charge me two nights at the full rate after inconveniencing me and sending me to the nasty hotel. Not cool. I wasn't in the mood to argue, I paid him less for the nasty room, but still far more than it was worth.

If it wasn't for that little sneaky maneuver, it would have been a nice stay. All in all, I actually would recommend it. Just have a plan B in case they don't hold your reservation and make sure they don't pull any tricks on you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

An impeccably family run small hotel, super clean and very efficient. We stayed in room 406 at the back of the hotel, light & airy and very quiet, with a very Phnom Penh view over the surrounding roof tops. Their Vietnamese visa service was totally trouble free and was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. The rooms with balcony at the front also look very nice. The river is less than 5 mins walk. If you know your arrival time the hotel will arrange to pick you up; overall they give the impression that nothing you ask would be too much effort.

Room Tip: Room 406 at the back, or the rooms at the front with balcony, are the nicest.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Olten, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here! Hotel is situated in a quiet place and you reach a lot of sightseeings by walk. Room was cleaned every day, staff very friendly and you have your own safetybox at the desk.
The only thing: the higher your room is situated, the less wifi-connection you have.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Very basic rooms and clean and well appointed, albeit old and a bit dated. One of the nice things about this place were the staff, so super friendly and very helpful with everything we asked.
Even on the day we checked out the lady gave us water and cashew nuts, as she had learned that we had no money left, until our next destination.
I would definitely stay here again.
Only one gripe, ALL of the windows and some doors had locked grills on them, when I asked what to do in case of fire, they said ' dont worry, just stay in your room' - 3rd floor, grilled windows!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Fancy Guest House? Share your experiences!