“Be a little bit wise.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
London
“Be a little bit wise.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Over a period of 2 months (was volunteering in Cambodia) I stayed here several times in several different rooms. They have loads of rooms here and as I watched new backpackers arrive all the time I got to listen to the lies being told. Commonly people would be told that it was really full and give them the option of taking a really dingey room or the most expensive - just manipulating what rooms they wanted to give out, saving the good ones for people (usually older travelles) who would be prepared to pay more etc. Also, they would make up the price dependant on what you looked like and how many people were staying in that room. Do try and haggle, but they are pretty good at not budging on their first price.

The rooms varied, i stayed in a really nice air con room which was really spacious, tv, decent bathroom for approx $10 (this was however because i was staying for a long period and negotiated this price), although the noise was a problem on the outside street sometimes.
Another room which was $7 was pretty gross, the toilet would never flush properly, the bed was well used, no air con. Some rooms on offer for the real budget backpackers are real boxes, you can barely stand up in them. Make sure you see the room first and ask to see another room (despite what they say there will always be another room spare). The kitchen side of the building (upstairs) has far nicer rooms than the older section.

The downstairs is good for meeting fellow travellers and the food isn't bad, well priced anyway. Movies are also shown every night although the workers love to put on what they want to watch which usually involves violence of some sort. Also, watch out for all the tuk tuk/moto drivers outside, they will usually ask for a lot more money than needs to be paid, I'd find one elsewhere at the top of the road.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights with my boyfriend. Got a large room with TV, shower ( though we had issues with the hot water, and the water was a bit weak..), and AC all for only $12 per night. It's in a good location- just minutes walk from the Royal Palace/Silver Pagoda, and it's not far from the river. The guesthouse is also super helpful for arranging transportation and day trips for sight seeing (although sometimes it can get a little annoying when the first thing in the morning you get someone asking you "Hello! What are you doing today? Killing fields?" No, I'm not in the mood for a killing field right in the early morning).

On the ground floor, there's also a chill hangout place to eat and watch TV (which is always on..and they have an extensive selection of DVD movies).

Overall a good place and great value. Great pick for backpackers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010 via mobile

When we first got to okay guest house the room they showed us was crap. After deciding not to stay the manager showed us another room that was big and bright and relativly clean. At first our impression of the hotel was good but after a few days all 6 people we were traveling with were totally annoyed with the staff who were both hotel workers and tuk tuk drivers. This meant that there was always a swarm outside the hotel ready to hassle you as well as one time while we were walking down a tuktuk driver was hanging out on the third floor waitig for people. This was the same for restauant staff trying to get you to eat there and when declining they would ask if you needed a tour or tuk tuk driver. To Leave the hotel you would have to decline numerous services multiple times. It was very frusterating and overwhelming. All in all our Tay was fine but if you can find something else definitly do it.

• Stayed June 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

Food is cheap, but the size of the dishes so small you need two to fill your stomach witch doesn't make it so cheap after all. The fan room I got was a cheap 6$ room but extremely hot and the water in the shower not cool enough to cool down in.
The staff speaks English but don't seem to understand if you have any questions. I'm a single woman who's been out traveling for 7 months, never have I had this much negative feelings about a place than this. The tours and trips they offer are expensive and as I only bought one their friendliness and service seemed to disappear. Some of the staff is really great but some are plain rude and sadly it seems they are in majority.
All over not satisfied as I felt they where just draining you for money, and it made it hard for me to trust them as I never seemed to get what I payed for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I recently stayed at the Okay Guesthouse in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I have to disagree with one of the previous reviews that the staff are not friendly. The staff were in fact quite friendly and helpful and made me feel very comfortable and at home. They were professional and courteous and took extra precaution to advise me about protecting my valuables. There is a large open-air covered restaurant attached to the guesthouse with a large menu of Kmer, Thai and American food choices and the food is good. The staff were quick to ask if you needed help, wanted to order food, etc. They had suggestions on activities and sight-seeing and also offer a large number of boat and bus packages booked right at their counter. My room was small but plenty adequate especially for the inexpensive price. I had a fan room with private bath and shower and it was quiet and comfortable. There is also wifi in the restaurant and in the rooms which is a big plus for me. I looked at several other guesthouses before booking at Okay and it was nicest of the ones I looked at. It is a backpacker's place with 70 rooms and lots of people coming and going. I have to say for the price the Okay Guesthouse offers a lot and it was an enjoyable stay. If you're looking for more pampering, less people or a more posh experience, go to a hotel. If you're looking for a good budget guesthouse Okay is good. I've stayed in lots and I would recommend Okay to others.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

It depends highly on which room you have. Our room was perfect. Very big, on the end of a hallway with a very big window. The room of our friends was terrible. Located at a kind of attic? it was very very hot (despite the AC). The staff also differs. Some of them were very nice and helpful, other were just rude. The hotel they recommended us in Siem Riep (from a brother of one of the staffmembers) was just terrible and in the bus trip we made via the guesthouse our wallet was stolen by the busboy.

Overall I would recommend this guesthouse because we had a great room for a very good (cheap) price. The food was great and the backpacker ambiance was great. But make sure you see your room before taking it and only take vip busses in Cambodia!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

It was a awful stay! The receptionist simply ignored us when we were standing like right in front of him! We paid extra for a room because of the TV and the hot water and the TV is not working and when we ask for help with the TV, we were asked rudely to make our complaints in the morning as no staff is around to do repairs to the TV. The guesthouse is full of people and is obviously noisy till midnight when clubbers and pub goers came back drunk. The tut-tut service offered by the guesthouse is highly priced so its best to get a tut-tut out on the streets.
Anyway, if you are looking for a service orientated guesthouse, then you can forget about that in Okay Guesthouse.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Okay Guesthouse? Share your experiences!