“Some improvements necessary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Khmeroyal Hotel

Save Saved
You added Khmeroyal Hotel to your Saves list
Khmeroyal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   383 Sisowath Quay, Sangkat Chey Chumnah, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Ranked #94 of 203 hotels in Phnom Penh
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
“Some improvements necessary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

First night we had a room with river view. What they did not tell us that at 05:00 hrs an aerobic class starts on the boulevard with such loud music that we were unable to sleep anymore. Their response to our comment on this fact was 'it is so for the past 2 years..'. Normally you would check out and find another hotel but Phnom Penh is a very busy city so where to go? We asked them if they had another quiet room and they gave us a room with view to the palace. This was much better. The rooms are huge and with adequate bathrooms. The WiFi did not work in our room but did in the lobby. There are also PC's available in the lobby. Breakfast is poor. It is a bit run down but for the price you pay it is adequate and very centrally located.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Khmeroyal, Owner at Khmeroyal Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding our Hotel.
We are happy we were able to provide you with a more quiet room. As in all Cambodia local people wake up early. We understand about noise and we are doing our best to keep noise down in our hotel and we have asked the aerobics class in the park to lower their music.

We are working on improvements to our breakfast buffet and also the menu items. We also understand the Wi-Fi in some rooms has poor reception we are installing new equipment to remedy this problem. Also we have started a refurbishment of the hotel to make it a more pleasant experience.

I thank you for staying with us and hope to see you on your next visit to Cambodia.

Sincerely yours,
Yourin Ngim
Owner Khmer Royal Hotel
(AKA Khmeroyal Hotel )

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

A rag tag of a place called a hotel is the best way to describe the Khmer Royal. Yes it is cheap but it comes at a price. For a few dollars more you can do so much better in Phnom Penh. The rooms are shabby with most items broken or not working properly. My air conditioner did not work at all and the lights switched on and off by themself so much I had to unscrew the light bulbs when trying to sleep. The hallway phone would start ringing every morning at 4.30am and ring every four or five minutes with one of the staff having a loud animated discussion for 30 seconds and then the whole process would start again. I found drugs in one of the bedside tables, the shower would sometimes work and usually stopped mid shower, the breakfast area is like a sauna and the breakfast is something an animal ethics committee would find unsuitable for pigs. The staff tried to be friendly and made the hell hole somewhat tolerable in short bursts.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Great location on the Mekong ,next to the Grand Palace, the room was spacious but not clean properly,many many items in the rooms were broken.
Reserved for 2 nites,but decided to leave after one nite. This is a $60 motel .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hervey Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Ok, so the hotel isn't brand new but it was clean, comfortable and an overall enjoyable experience. The riverside location is very good and the staff couldn't do enough to help us.
It took us a while to get used to the fact that we could book everything from our hotel, flights, buses, other accomodation, tours.....this just isn't possible in Australia. We even managed to book accom at the Khmer's sister hotel in Siem Reap and arrange transfers for very little cost.
The rooms didn't have a lot of lighting and the bed was a bit hard but we were that tired from travelling we had no trouble sleeping any night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Yes, Khmer Royal Hotel is located on a strategic area. Mekong River is just right in front of you and from there the sun rises in front of your eyes. The Royal Palace is your neighbor.

But, there are many other hotels on the same location, with a more reasonable price. Actually I choose this hotel because I wanted to photograph sunrise from my window. It turned out that the long park alongside Mekong River was a very pleasant (and safe) place. Eventually, I got out, went across the street, and made my sunrise shots. I could have rented a cheaper room, if I had known.

I got a free pick up from The Sinh Tourist's office where my bus from Chau Doc arrived. The transportation back (after check out) was on my own arrangement. Totally on my own arrangement. Luckily the men outside the hotel were kind and helped find me a tuk tuk on that early morning.

Furniture inside the room were rather old. The refrigerator will turn off when you unplug your room key and go out of the room. So don't expect to entertain yourself with a cold drink after being out.

On my first night, the electricity went off several times in a row at night. The room became barely dark.

The air condition in my room wasn't working quite well. Although I had set the remote control to 16 (the lowest), I only could feel the air if I slept right under the air con.

When we settled on the price via email prior to my arrival, Mr. Phana agreed to serve me breakfast at 5:10 AM. The breakfast was also reconfirmed on my first evening when Mr. Phana asked me to pay the full amount. As a matter of fact, the morning I was leaving, the front desk staffs knew nothing about my request of early breakfast. Yes, I eventually got a plate of fried rice and omelet, but became almost late for my bus.

I acknowledge that most of the hotel staff tried their best to be kind. But I'm disappointed because when I asked Mr. Phana about the sunset cruise boat. He said there's only a private boat costing 15 USD. When I went out myself, there were a handful travel agents alongside the street that had the sunset cruise boat tour which only cost 5 USD per person. The boat was fine and spacious. I can't believe that Mr. Phana didn't knew about them.

I also hired a car and driver for one day trip to Kirirom National Park. The driver was my biggest disappointment. He took me round and round which wasted my time. He didn't know the way. Although he asked the locals several times, I still couldn't get directly to the spot. He didn't look friendly either. While driving, he often stepped on the brake in a sudden which cost my body to fling to the front. He most did that when there was a speed breaker in front of us. Instead of slowing down, he would step on the brake in a sudden just centimeters before the speed breaker. It was worst when there was a cow and a car crossing the street. From meters away I could see that cow already. He surely could have plenty of time to slow down and give way for the cow. He did not. Instead, he stepped on the brake all in a sudden right when we were in front of the cow's face. Maybe he needs to wear on glasses?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011 via mobile

Ok, so it's not brand-spanking new but this hotel oozes character. The staff are professional an friendly, the riverside view is simply breathtaking and it's perfectly located for all the best sites of Phnom Penn and it's über cool
Riverside promenade. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms have a large, deep bath.

• Stayed August 2011
Hamburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I planned to stay at this hotel for three nights. The staff seemed very friendly, the room very spacious and with big windows. The price was definitely ok and even negotiable and came with breakfast incl, which I also thought was ok. You can tell that the hotel has seen better days and is a bit rundown, but the price also reflects that. It's not overpriced. Compared to other places on the river a real find!
I would hesitate in recommending it though, because the room to the riverfront was very noisy, not so much the street noise, but I've been woken up at 5:20am by an exercise class outside the window playing very loud music, but you can get that anywhere on that strip. Then I got a very precious ring stolen out of the room, that I just forgot to put back on. They do have safety boxes at the reception and make you sign that they are not to held responsible for 'losses'. The manager was correct and supportive to find the ring but I just didn't feel comfortable there anymore. So watch your stuff, use the lockers and you might have a real good stay there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Khmeroyal Hotel? Share your experiences!