“Nice Budget Accomodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of King Guesthouse

You added King Guesthouse to your Saves list
King Guesthouse
149-151, Angdoun Street 110 | Sangkat Wat Phnom, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh 855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #213 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Nice Budget Accomodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I expected a lot worse based on reviews on hostelbookers but it was fine. Place is not easy to find as they dont give directions and I had to ask in two hotels, but location is good close to wat phnom and night market, and express buses to other cities. The palace and other pagodas about a 15 min walk along the river. The tickets to HCMC were sold out everywhere for the day I wanted but the hostel was able to give it to me for a day later at $10 and extend my stay for another night at the same $8 rate. Breakfast is included thru hostelbookers but not walk in bookings who got upset when told to pay. Room was ok with a good tv package. No hot water is included but this was normal in both the hostels I stayed at in Cambodia. Water temperature was ok to shower 2-3x a day which I did. Water is a lot cleaner and safer than it was in Siem Reap Hostel. They arrange a tuk tuk driver to take you around the block with my luggage for the HCMC bus at no charge. English levels vary but they will try to help. The very smily person speaks the best. They were not too pushy about tours unless I enquired but a firm no was enough for them to back off. Building layout is strange but you cant fault the hostel as it wasnt purpose built.

Disliked: free internet doesnt work a lot of the time as server is switched off. Hotmail freezes on explorer but works better on firefox. Room window curtains are see thru. Too many pushy tuk tuk drivers outside, one of them works on staff.

Room Tip: too many stairs to climb
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival, they actually have printed out in A4 paper a welcome note. This is nice.

I have booked a double or twin bed with air-con, they have given me two double beds. The room is big but the whole room is painted on orange including the ceiling which don't look so comfortable. The red carpet is not so clean but wear slippers walk around in the room is still ok. The worst thing is the door is glass and covered with a curtain that still can see through from below as the curtain is not long enough. We don't feel safe and move out after first night. There is breakfast served which is a plus.

Other rooms we saw is wooden doors, so request those but the colours of the walls and ceiling really made us feel not comfortable.
Overall is cheap for budget Travellers.

• Stayed January 2012
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I believe in the saying that you get what you pay for, so for those people complaining about the backpacker's guesthouses, hotels, etc., for not good service, not comfy bed, etc., I think they should go and sleep in 4-star or 5-star hotels.

In any case, I had a pleasant one-night stay in King Guesthouse. I stayed in room 305, paying $8 a day before I arrive; it did not have hot shower and the TV was broken. The staff member So Pha(? same person who showed me the room and did not offer help in carrying my bags, which was okay, except the hallways were dark and I fell down near the room embarrassingly) was doing his best to fix the television, but as I did not need to watch any movie, anyway, I just told him to leave it. As I could not speak Khmer language, maybe So Pha thought I was telling him to come back later so he could fix the television... so he did come back later. Nice person.

The staff members are nice. I did not get to eat breakfast because I had to leave early to go to a museum, so no reaction about the breakfast. However, I ate dinner and lunch... and a staff member even gave me 3 bananas for free! :-)

All in all, a pleasant one-night stay :-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Granada, Nicaragua
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I had a third floor room with cable, ac, mini fridge ,cold water ensuite with a window overlooking the Wat for $12, they push the tours kinda hard but the free breakfast was nice and the location is exl. One day walking to the ATM the hotel owner saw me and gave me a lift on his motorbike, airport pick up gratis...

Room Tip: maze like layout rooms vary widely
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Basically. We had two good nights sleep.

However, they lied to everyone about the "FREE Breakfast". They said to us that it was free for rooms of "$13 dollars and up". However, a guy paid $15 dollars for his room and he got no free breakfast.
The toilet was in ruins.
Tonnes of ants and flies in our second room.
They over charged for laundry.

And to top it all off they tried to force us to pay for an extra night thinking we had arrived a day earlier than we had.

Location good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Chau Doc, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Im stayed this guest house twice came and go on my holidays.This very good staves, thought the guy ,who own business not friendly but he have very good service,the room ok but no HOT warter.
Only 5 or 10 minute walking to the river,good location.
[[-]

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We got a free pick up from the bus station. The reception area could have been more welcoming (was a little dark and cramped) however the reception staff were really friendly, chatty and helpful. They helped organise a tour (but no pressure to book).

The AC didn't work in our first room but after telling them within 5 minutes we were given a better room (with help to move bags!) and were given free water with apologies. We had a twin, AC room with fridge. The room was spacious and clean.

We got free breakfast every morning of omlette and toast. The hotel also can do laundry for you.

Peace, on reception, was fantastic and really interesting person. The other reception staff were also very friendly and chatty. They helped us book our bus to Battambang.

Great location and would recommend as a great, friendly place to stay.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room with a window with AC (and not on the 3rd floor as there are no lifts!)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to King Guesthouse? Share your experiences!