“Much Improved” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingos Hotel

You added Flamingos Hotel to your Saves list
Flamingos Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #30 Street 172 | Sangkat Phsar Tmei 3, Phnom Penh 12210, Cambodia   |
Ranked #124 of 223 Hotels in Phnom Penh
baltimore
“Much Improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Wow! An new ANZ atm in the lobby. New electronic in-room safety boxes. Very comfortable mattress, vs my craters review last year. Great aircon. Free internet in lobby. Free airport pick-up. Perfect nightlife location. Friendly/effective front desk staff. Room door jams newly trimmed out to prevent locks being jimmied/better privacy.
Negatives: I was bent on tipping housekeeping $5 after the first night, but they were up to their old tricks of not changing out the sheets unless visibly soiled. One comment to the desk manager and no further problems...fresh linens daily. Housekeeping works as a large group taking a long break so it can be many hours before the room is made up. Too bad as there is enough staff to assign 1 maid per floor to clean the room right after the guest departs.
Lobby coffee maker is a pitiful home model fed by filthy city water! The water filter for this coffee maker is an el-cheapo, that flows so freely there is probably nothing inside! Pay the $2 for fresh OJ. Complementary breakfast selection has been updated, but still on the cheap-charlie size: watch out for the low-grade industrial white toast. Fruit platter or beef noodles are best breakfast selections.
Hotel needs to cut back on the 2 free combs and 2 free toothbrushes to 1 free of each and spend the difference on good quality soap. The soap provided is the worst! 1 roll of toilet paper a day is hilarious. Some rooms have no view.
Highly recommended and a superior value at $25 for standard room. I could live here for months!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — having to ask housekeeping to do their job via the front desk mgr.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

WOW- is all I have to say!! This place was an absolute nightmare. From the food, to the room, to the security, and I am a pretty easy person to please.. When we first walked in I had a feeling things might be a little sketchy, but I have stayed in plenty of dives, and been perfectly happy.. Upon arrival we stowed our bags and locked down our Money and pass ports.. I left my electronics in my bag because I was using them on and off all day.. We had just stopped back a the hotel to get cleaned up and head out.. Stowed everything in my bag.. Not thinking that I needed to lock my useless electronics, my phone doesn’t work out of the US, my iPod is coded to my name and cant be duplicated, and my camera, well I guess you could get 10 bucks for it.. Any who I came back that night and went to get into my bag and noticed it had been rifled through.. Then I looked into my electronics bag and realized I had been jacked.. Ok I know I should have put it into the safe.. And I take full responsibility for not doing so.. BUT, THEY robbed me and re locked the room re zipped my bag.. that seems a bit premeditated….

When I went to the staff and explained that I had been robbed they acted concerned, and as I turned to walk off. A friend of mine was standing watching as they turned to each and laughed at me.. I even offered 100$ just for the camera memory stick.. Once again I got snickers.. Finally I asked every time as I left the hotel again if they had found my stuff.. And every time I was greeted with the same answer from both the night crew and the day crew.. The thief is probably very far away by now.. Shocker!! Stay here at your own RISK.. Next time it might be your kidney!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

June 10, 08 Just returned from 3 weeks in the Kingdom of Cambodia. I don't usually write reviews due to different peoples perspectives on accomidations. I felt compelled to warn travelers about this hotel. We stayed here for 2 nights and 2 of us had our rooms entered and our bags searched while we were out.
We both had our passport and money in the lock box but one of us had their camera and ipod stolen out of their bag while my camera was with me during our outing. The rooms were locked back up and our backpacks were repacked as if nothing had happened. Once we realised what had happened and approached the front desk, they acted concerned but one of our traveling companions saw them laugh after we walked away. I would just say their our many, many hotels to choose from in Phnom Penh that would be a safer and a more enjoyable experience. Getting ripped off sucks especially by the employees of the hotel you choose to spend money at. Safe travels, Lesson learned use the lock box for every item you value.

• Stayed June 2008
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

People either love it or hate it. This is because it caters for, shall we say, people visiting Phnom Penh to enjoy the nightlife. If that's what you come for, this hotel won't disappoint. The rooms are good for the price. It's in a great location if you want to go out. There's a great bar downstairs which is a good place to meet drinking buddies. The staff are friendly. And they don't mind if you bring a friend back for the night. Oh, and they've got wifi spots all over the hotel, and it's free! I was made to feel most welcome here and will be returning.

If you are bringing kids, or a couple looking to explore the cultural aspects of the city, I would say it's better to stay elsewhere.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — Noisey location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norwich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2007

Again like other people, I booked this hotel based on earlier, more positive reviews. The hotel is located in a great location a five minute walk from the centre, national museum, bars restaurant and waterfront.

The hotel was fairly clean and offers breakfast and free shuttle to and from the airport. Unfortunately the hotel attracts a number of older (50+!!) single western men, which are there for only one thing. I stayed for two nights and on both nights I was woken several times by the sound of squeaky mattresses and other related noises, not what you want to hear!!

If you have come to Cambodia for the sites and culture, please avoid this hotel. There are numerous cheaper and better hotels than this one. When I returned to Phnom Penh, I stayed at the Spring Guesthouse (see Lonely Planet), a much better choice.

• Liked — Location and cost
  • Disliked — Single Western Men just there for the local girls
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

Saw some relatively beinign reviews and thought that $25 for a double room, free web access and being relatively central it was worth a risk. I was wrong. By the time I had unpacked and tried to arrange a couple of things e.g. a Tuk Tuk for the day I decided to cut my losses and paid for the first night and left.

Reasons:
- Sleaze, this hotel caters primarily to the older gentleman who prefers young female company.
- Room was awful, bare and had a particularly bad adour
- Attitiude of staff, felt like I was being scammed when trying to book a tuk tuk to tour the city

Unless you fall into the category of 'gentleman' mentioned above you should avoid at all costs...

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phnom Penh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

I have stayed at the Flamingos Hotel several times over the last 2 and a half years, sometimes up to 6 weeks at a time while working in Cambodia. Recently I discovered while I was absent from my room someone was helping themselves to my belongings. I obtained photographic evidence with time stamps that showed the latest theft could only have occurred while the room was being cleaned. After discussing this with the manager/part owner I was advised that it could not have happened as all cleaning staff denied knowledge of the thefts. In fact I was made to feel as if I had done wrong in detecting theft by their staff.
Never again will I stay at his hotel, and can only advise others to take care.

• Liked — Some staff were helpful
  • Disliked — Lack of assistance when theft detected and attitude of owners
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Flamingos Hotel? Share your experiences!