“The best kept secret in PP.” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Street 9 | #41, Phnom Penh 10110, Cambodia   |
Offers & Announcements
Discount
Ranked #52 of 223 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“The best kept secret in PP.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011 via mobile

I'm just wrapping up a 10-day stay at Hotel 9, and I have to say it's hands down one of the best hotels in Phnom Penh.

The location is ideal for those who want to stay a little bit off the beaten track yet close enough to the action that they can get there via tuk-tuk in under 5 minutes.

The owner Mark and his wife are brilliant hosts who will see to it that you are happy and have everything you need to make your stay enjoyable.

The rooms are very clean and functional. The grounds has a modern yet homey feel with sweeping balconies that wrap around the central courtyard and pool area.

The restaurant is fabulous. I've had my share of bad meals and accomapnying stomach troubles in PP, but the restaurant here is first-rate. Their food is fresh, the vegetables are washed in bottled water and the portions are just right.

I've traveled to PP numerous times and have stayed at many different hotels. Hotel 9 is the perfect place for those wanting to stay in PP without forgetting they're in PP. In other words, it's not a western hotel like the Sofitel that makes one forget where they are. It's the perfect blend of local authentic and escaping away.

I've also stayed at the 252, which is rated #1 on TA, and this hotel is just as good in every way.

Do yourself a favor an look nowhere else while in PP. This is the place you need to stay. Period.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I booked this new hotel on line arriving in Phnom Penh. All the review were correct with what they said about this being a fantastic new addition to the boutique hotels in the city.
It is new, fresh and spotlessly clean.
We had a standard room and it was plenty large enough with all we needed. The bathroom was large with great shower. The room had both aircon annd a fan so you could choose what you wanted or both.
The pool was great for a dip and there was plenty of outdoor area for sitting and eating or just for a chat.
We dined out most of the time however the meals we did have at the hotel were yummy. Breakfast was probably the best I have had at a similar level of hotel in Cambodia. There was a big variety, something for those who wanted a light breakfast thru to a cooked meal for those wanting more.
The best part of the stay was the friendliness and genuine smiles from the staff. Nothing was a bother. I recoment you stay at Hotel Nine when in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stayed in this hotel after moving from another hotel in Phnom Penh. It was nice and new and peaceful. Nice rooms and clean bathroom. Great terrace to sit and enjoy the terrace. We were disapointed as there was buliding work going on which was very noisy and went on for a few dats. Too noisy to sit at the pool but sure that wont be like that all the time. Was nice and relaxing when they were not doing repairs to hotel. They could do with some more sunbeds too. Also, breakfast was a bit sparse, offered toast and a choice of eggs. Not great for growing man!! Overall, nice hotel to stay in but just need to sort out a few things as it is new.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
hotel_nine098, Manager at Hotel Nine, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Thanks for your review, we are glad that your overall experience at Hotel Nine was enjoyable. We do apologize for the work that was going on whilst you were here. We were actually completing the final touches to the spiral staircase handrail, this is now done and there will be no major works to complete.

We do offer a choice of cereals, yogurts, fruits, toast, eggs, juices, tea and coffee, and we are looking to add a cooked option to the breakfast menu in the near future. We have some more outdoor furniture, including sun lounges, on order and hope to have them delivered soon.

We have only been open for 3 weeks now and we have almost ironed out the small kinks, your feedback is invaluable to us to make sure we better serve our guests. Hope to see you again!

Hotel Nine team
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

stayed 5 nights. I arrived by bus from Saigon. The map doesn't show the bus station so I had no idea where I was. I knew Point B (the hotel) but didn't know Point A. I'm the type that would rather walk then pay someone to drive me. In the end, I ended up paying $1 to be driven as it was too far to walk with my 3 pieces of luggage. 5 other drivers demanded $2, but you can hold out for $1 as I did. If you arrive by bus, it is about a 20 to 25-min walk directly south to the hotel. All the other cheap hotels or hostels had reviews that seemed to include theft from the rooms. I was carrying large amounts of cash and needed a "safe" place. This hotel had an in-room safe. Great to use to secure an iPad or laptop. At $37.50 a night for a newly opened hotel with free breakfast/wifi/dvd/pool, it was exactly what I was willing to pay. Normally, I try to stay in the $10-20 range. I splurged due to needing more security. Mark and the rest of the staff were great! Via email, I asked for research on a topic of interest i wanted to pursue upon arrival. As soon as I checked in, I was given the information I had requested!! The breakfast area has AC. I noticed reviews of other places only having fans. The pool is small, enough to cool off, not to do laps. Without a doubt, the pool is a great way to keep kids occupied! pool towels are provided as well. And they don't really close the pool so if you are quiet, you can use it at any time. That's nice to know. Other hotels will lock the door to the gym or pools areas. There is a supermarket (not just a convenient store) about 10-min walk east of the hotel. The room and pool towels all smelled fresh. They definitely use softener! In the past, some hotel towels were hard or thin. Not here! They have DVDs at the front desk to rent for free if you just want to relax in your room. That was nice! (The TV has a DVD player in it.) They could add a sign for the DVDs at the front desk to make it more known. Free WI-FI and there is a PC to use if u didn't bring your own. Lots of seating outside the rooms You can easily lay around by the pool or 2nd floor or in your room. And outside areas have ceiling fans as well. The only item that I never understood was the tip jar. If I put money in it, did it get pooled for the entire shift or that particular department or pooled weekly. (?_?) 1 tip jar at front desk and 1 in restaurant. What about the maids? And when I put money in the front desk jar, did the other guy that helped me on the night shift share in it? That is a minor point of concern. great stay.
If you've never been to Cambodia or Vietnam, bring your earphones. I didn't bring my iPod when I walked around but I kept the earphones in my ears to pretend I was listening to music so the Tuk-Tuk drivers wouldn't pester me. They are quite persistent and can be extremely annoying. "I just want to walk around is that so wrong????" I didn't want to say "NO" 300-500 times a day. Unplugged earphones helped! Using them easily cut the questions in half! Just ignore them and keep walking. :-)

Room Tip: Free WI-FI, soft/thick towels, free breakfast w/AC
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed for three nights last week in Phnom Penh having stayed in 3 previous phnom penh hotels this newly renovated hotel is a great find and bargin with beautiful terrace and pool area outside your room.

Food was GREAT compared to many other phnom hotels and could get great western food like toasted ham and cheese or BLT and fappes to die for after a day in the heat and dust of combodia.

Would recommend this hotel for any business traveller or holiday traveller the australian owner Mark will look after you and is a excellent host.

to date this is the best hotel i have stayed in Phnom Penh very relaxed and friendly with international standard of accomodation and resturant / pool facilties

hurry quick as this 15 room boutique hotel will be full once the word gets around.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

What a lovely little oasis in the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. Inside the freshly painted white walls it's a little piece of luxury - but step outside and Cambodia is right at your doorstep. Hotel Nine is close to the Palace, Tuol Sleng and the other key attractions of Phnom Penh, including the culinary delights and bright lights of the bars and restaurants of Sisowath Quay. But back to the hotel. We were lucky enough to be some of the first guests and, while there are a few things still to be ironed out, the local staff were very attentive and quick to help with any query. The small restaurant whips up a mix of paninis, salads and tapas - all which can be eaten by the sparkling blue pool. All food and drinks were very reasonably priced (making it even easier to have a few sitting by that pool!). The Australian owners Mark and Louise were incredibly friendly and helpful, even assisting us with buying some food from a local market to take to an orphanage. The rooms are on the smallish side but there is plenty of space outside on the large terraces overlooking the pool. Rooms are clean with mini bar and TV. Our shower had a huge showerhead, but the shower did get filled up quickly so a quick shower was had each time. The room was a great price. When we were there, there was a mix of young families and young couples staying at the hotel. Looking forward to coming back to Phnom Penh and staying at this lovely boutique hotel again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We took advantage of the Crash Test Dummy and it was well worth it! Fantastic staff, really wanting to make your stay memorable and they did just that! They couldn't have done more for us! The hotel owners and lovely and Franko, if you get to meet him, is just charming! The atmosphere was very relaxing, the rooms were comfortable with great showers! The food was delicious - I highly recommend the duck tapas! Drinks....all I can say in Mango Daquiris - they are the best in Phnom Penh! Made from fresh mangos and no syrup - they are simply the best!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nine? Share your experiences!