“1st choice for 1st world” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 870 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Pan-Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“1st choice for 1st world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2015 NEW

We visited three times over four days and we're not related to the owners. It's important to point out that we love Phnom Penh and come regularly. Not only do we embrace all that is painful and powerful about this city (Country) we eat from cart vendors, frequent the local food markets and usually dine streetside and often perched on a plastic stool. The Common Tiger would be an uncommon choice for us because we'd question authenticity of venues like this. Not this time. These guys are good, in fact very very good. By the standards of any highly developed (sophisticated) food culture the offering is world class and the prices are a pittance. Of course this means it's 'off the scale' in terms of food style, presentation and price for Cambodia but this is the time to start averaging your weekly spend. Savour the experience, take time to reflect on the balance of flavour, texture, visual and palate response. This is food to think about and food to remember. In all of my visits to Phnom Penh I recall and reflect upon how much I love the food 'generally', I now add to that my reflections on how much I love The Common Tiger 'specifically'. For those of you who know the menu to be small, let me explain. First visit was dinner and after starters and main we couldn't manage dessert. The second visit was for dessert and the best espresso martinis in....we'll best I've had. Third visit was a spontaneous final night return just to make sure......and yes, we are sure. All the boxes ticked here.

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“One night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2015 NEW

If you are only in PP one night then this is it. Expensive relative to other local restaurants but this is international standard and is good value in that context. Local produce beautifully presented.

New York City, New York
“Sensational! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2015

Cannot remember the last time we had such a delicious meal! Waitstaff were well managed and adequately attentive. Starters were out of this world. Never had shrimp this good! Each bite was a sensuous experience. Presentation was artful and intriguing. Main course was sea bass cooked to tender perfection. I found myself eating with my fingers to get closer to the food... We had the mousse for dessert and it was also wonderful. My wife and I were spontaneously laughing with pleasure at the unexpected in each new bite..

Melbourne, Australia
“Innovative food marred by poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2015

Ate here as part of a large party of diners.

Chef is passionate about his food and everything that we ordered was beautifully presented and genuinely delicious. We also thought the prices were reasonable.

The service was poor however and really let them down. Front of house staff simply did not communicate with each other and we waited for an eternity to order drinks.

We were unfortunately given menus which were out of date, so when we ordered food were told these menu items were unavailable.

It was a confusing process to order after we finally received the correct menus.

Glasses were not refilled and we had to ask for everything which took a long time to eventuate.

Decor was underdone and actually looked unfinished to me.

All in all great food, but please train the staff adequately so your service can match your food.

Ghent, Belgium
“If you are looking for something different and expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

We came here to eat the set dinner which consisted out of 5 dishes: two starters, two mains and one dessert. The starters where wonderful and tasteful compositions. The amins were a bit disappointing (a porc cutlet that is too dry is defintely not tasty). You will spend more money per person than an average Cambodian earns in one month, which left us with a unpleasant feeling.

• Visited April 2015