“Great neighborhood restaurant, simple good food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 777 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: American, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestled on a quiet street a few blocks from the Russian Market, Sesame Noodle Bar offers a small menu that focuses on quality over quantity. We draw from Japanese, Chinese cuisines with a splash of Americana (and don’t forget the tahini). Our house signature dish was made specifically for the Cambodian climate– ice-cold noodles, fresh vegetables, caramelized pork and a refreshing Sesame dressing.Now open for dinner and lunch, come by and see us.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Great neighborhood restaurant, simple good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Sesame Noodle has become a Russian Market institution in its short time in existence. The food is simple, fresh, delicious and low price. They have a great drink selection including sake-I love the spicy watermelon frozen drink. You are always welcomed with a smile and a cold glass of water. I highly recommend anything with pork belly. The Thor Buns are amazing as are the fatty noodles. There isn't really anything I wouldn't recommend! The deserts are simple but delicious as well--the sesame balls with chocolate or caramel are a light and tasty end to a meal. I recently had a private event there. Keiko and the staff were incredibly accommodating and the cost for the food and event was extremely reasonable and the whole staff made the event wonderful. I would definitely have another event there. I highly recommend Sesame Noodle if you are around Russian Market or Boeng Trabek! Worth a visit.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Adelaide, Australia
“Barely average food, very poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I came here for lunch after seeing all the good reviews on TA. Have to say we found the experience disappointing.

- Thor buns: These were fantastic-tasting, the bun was nice, the pork with just the right amount of fat in it, the pickles tangy, the sauce giving just the rick amount of kick. (5/5)
- Kimchi tofu: Frankly, store-bought kimchi from lucky supermarket is better. The tofu was dry and bland. For some reason, these 2 elements didn't feel like they matched well together. We left this dish unfinished. (1/5)
- Fatty noodle bowl: Not what we expected at all. About 75% of this dish was raw salad, and I HATE raw veggies... not enough meat, and not enough sauce to help makes the rabbit food taste better. I would have happily paid more for a bowl of more noodles + more meat & sauce + minimal veggies. Again, we left this dish unfinished. (2/5)
- Spicy watermelin shake: The taste is interesting, and certainly different from the norm, but can't say I enjoyed having chillies in my fruit shake. (3/5)
- Presentation: The food is well-presented when it arrives, however the taste doesn't seem to live up to the good looks of the food. (4/5)
- Service: Initially, the service was very very poor; there were 5 staff members standing around chatting, 3 of them facing my way. I wanted to make my order, but making eye contact, waving, and finally waving while pointing to the little clipboard with the menu on it, all failed to attract the attention of any of the waitstaff. My wife had to walk over and ask one of them to come take my order!! At the time, there were only 2 other diners in the place, so they could hardly claim they were too busy ... Later on during our meal, one of the owners came out from the kitchen, and suddenly all the staff became really attentive towards the diners. (1/5)

Overall? The thor buns were great, but everything else we had was average or below-average. While the spicy fruit shakes are interesting and unusual, would have liked to see the option of normal fruit shakes as well. The killer for me was the service - I won't be returning to a restaurant where the staff are more interested in chatting behind the counter than in serving customers, to the point where customers are being ignored.

I could go to the buffet at Hanami just down the road, and eat a much nicer meal for the same price ...

ontario
“Excellent place for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The place was quiet when we visited so the service was very attentive. The food was good and the restaurant itself was small and very clean. there is a very good selection of food no one at our table was disappointed with their meal. quite highly recommended.

Visited January 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Despite eating nearly a full meal at the Night Market an hour before meeting a friend here, we were so excited about the menu that we ordered a whole second dinner! This place has a wonderful neighborhood feel and is popular with ex-pats. Clean, simple decor and only a handful of tables - great ambiance after a long day of wandering through the chaos of Phnom Penh.

We ordered the kimchi and tofu, lemongrass pork skewers, gyoza and sesame ball dessert, as well as a cocktail and beer. All for a grand total of $15 or so. The staff was attentive, constantly filling our water glasses. The food was fresh and light. I rarely eat pork while traveling in developing countries but made an exception here, and I'm sure glad I did. I loved the lemongrass skewers and would highly recommend trying them! Definitely worth stopping in if you're looking for a fresh, healthy meal in a small restaurant outside of the tourist circuit.

Visited December 2013
castaways beach
“Tasty, healthy, friendly heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

A real treat. Had only been in Phnom Pehn for a day and discovered the finest eating place around. Small, very clean with authentic menu. Thor buns......to die for. Going back when we return in a few weeks! !