So, my boyfriend meant to book us at the Aqua Guesthouse, which is ranked #8 on Tripadvisor for Phnom Penh hotels, and booked us here by accident. Of course, we didn't realize that until we had checked in, so this stay was sort of our fault. However, there were issues with this hotel from the onset:
1) The hotel told us we would be picked up in a Jaguar from the airport. It was a Toyota Camry. Not a huge deal, but it seemed weird to advertise that and then not follow through.
2) The staff was not as gracious during check in as other hotel staff members in Cambodia. Again, not a huge deal, but when you're paying what is considered a large amount of money for a hotel, you expect the service to be much better.
3) The room was nice-sized, but it needed a facelift. Some of the pillows on the couch were torn; the tiles on the floor were loose; and there were cobwebs in the water closet. The safe was extremely small--I couldn't fit my iPad in there, and it was filled with cans of beer and soda (I moved them into the mini-fridge). Once again, not a huge deal, but when you're paying the amount of money the hotel charges...
4) It was LOUD! Around 9 o'clock, the parties at the neighboring hotels/bars started. It sounded like there was a rave happening downstairs. We were not warned about this, and I assume this is a nightly thing because other Tripadvisor guests also complained about it. The noise didn't stop until 2 or 3 in the morning, and then there was construction that started next door at 7:30 a.m. The least the hotel could do is provide ear plugs, which are inexpensive and affective.
5) The restaurant menu looked ok, but it was very expensive for Cambodia. Also, I'm vegan, and my boyfriend is a vegetarian. There was nothing I could eat, and only a couple of items he could. We skipped eating there, but if you're a meat-eater, then you might find something, albeit it'll be an expensive something.
6) When were hanging out in the bar, we noticed two older men come in with VERY young, Cambodian women (my guess is they were 15?), who were wearing very short shorts and very high heels (Cambodian women are normally very modest in the way they dress. Tank tops are considered racy for them). From the way the men greeted the chef, it was obvious that they were friends. It was also pretty obvious that these young women were not spending time with these gentleman for their looks or personalities, if you catch my drift.
7) This is the worst part--when I work up in the morning, I noticed something dark underneath my sheet. I lifted up the sheet and saw a huge blood stain on the mattress pad (see photo). I didn't see it in the evening when I had gone to bed because the light wasn't good enough. It didn't look like there had been any attempt to wash the mattress pad. It was simply disgusting. I mean. I mean, how much money does it take to replace a mattress pad?
8) We didn't complain to the staff because we didn't think they would care, and we also needed to leave our luggage there for the day because our flight home wasn't until late that night. At that point, my boyfriend was concerned that the staff would mess with our luggage if we complained.
9) The staff was supposed to arrange for a car to take us to the airport. It never showed up, and when we asked about it, no one knew what was going on. We took a tuk-tuk.
Do NOT stay here--you will most likely regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "elsewhere boutique beds" is setup in a refurbished art-deco villa with a nice garden and a pool. It is locate in the most residential and central area of Phnom Penh: Boeung Keng Kong 1, on the busy Golden Street (st. 278). The street has lots of bars and restaurants and is known for its night life. Ideal for people who want to have easy access to expat and cool ambiance night life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your elsewhere boutique beds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.