“Very decent hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diamond Palace II

You added Diamond Palace II to your Saves list
Diamond Palace II
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #29EO, Street 178, Next to Royal Palace | National Museum, River Front, Phnom Penh 12206, Cambodia   |
Ranked #95 of 233 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore
“Very decent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

In retrospect,nothing particularly outstanding about this hotel, staff were quite helpful,rooms were clean albeit and little small(but still more than comfortable) and the location is good. However, there's nothing much i can complain about as well.

At USD$20 per night for an air conditioned room with heater and wifi,it's decent but you can definitely get a cheaper hotel of the same quality. I'd recommend going for the USD$15 rooms which are the same as the $20 rooms except without breakfast (which is mediocre at best,would've gone for the cheaper room had I known they values their breakfasts at $5..)

All in all, I have little regrets and the hotel was well worth the money.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great location for a hotel. The room was small but we knew this before agreeing to stay. AC and clean bathroom and fridge were great. Bed was not bad either.

We had breakfast included and I would recommend the local dishes as the western fare is not that good.

Did the job and you can't say more for $20 a night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Taguig City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Price: May not be the cheapest guest house but the location is very good. I stayed on the third floor balcony, I can see the roof of the Royal Palace and on the side a glimpse of the Mekong River. It's very near the Royal Palace, the Mekong River and the National Museum.

Facilities: The following are good: TV and cable, bed, hot and cold shower, fridge, sheets. Closet is a little broken. Rain water goes inside the room during thunderstorm, most likely it will come from the balcony and will flow under the door.

Breakfast: A little terrible, but better than nothing. Breakfast coffee was good.

Staff: Cleaners and waiters were friendly and very humble. Some receptionists were not so friendly. I remember asking them to give me a wake up call at 5 am, I woke up with a knock on my door and when I opened it I saw the receptionist. He looked mad, because he climbed the highest floor and told me with an annoyed accent that he was trying to call my phone but I didn't answer. I felt embarrassed, annoyed with his grumpiness, but in the same way grateful that he "climbed" the extra mile just to wake me up. Manager was good, see my story below.

Tips:
1. The view is the best if you are on the third floor balcony. I think in Cambodia the 1st floor is not considered as the ground floor, so if you book the 3rd floor expect it to be the fourth story of the building. It's a very tiring climb and the stairs are very steep so if your not in to climbing better stay on the 1st or 2nd floor.

2. During my first night there was a thunderstorm in the evening. When I woke up I noticed a pool of water beside my bed. I had three bags on my floor, a knapsack, a camera bag, and a camping bag where I put some clothes I bought in Vietnam for my sisters. These bags got wet. All my papers, tickets, printed copies of itineraries, and other things that were inside my bags got wet. The Vietnamese clothes I bought got wet, one of the dresses was red and its color bled and stained the other three dresses. I complained to the manager and showed the clothes and my bag to them. At first he questioned me why I didn't put my bags in the closet and I asked him why he didn't inform me that a room on the third floor can be flooded. At the end of the day they helped me dry my bag and the manager reimbursed $20 for the ruined clothes, it actually cost $23 but I accepted $20. I really appreciate what the manager did.

It's a good thing that all my gadgets, computer, camera were on my bed and not in my bags. Lesson: Never ever put your bags on the floor.

Verdict: I may come back to this place but it will not be my first choice again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Bright, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

During our short term of stay at Pensione, the experience has been good, the staff are friendly, the housekeepers are brilliant! They come change your sheets and towels everyday! And fold your clothes for you, can't ask for more! Only thing is that ventilation in the bathroom is not the best, and the bathroom door won't shut properly. Location is great! It's literally close to everything! Would recommend anyone for a short time stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Basically slept here because I checked in late and checked out early.

Room: adequate for the price, clean
TV, ref, hot shower, hair dryer

Food: Free breakfast meal is average

Steep Stairs are not elderly and handicap friendly.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is walking distance to the riverside and basically neighbors with the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, then book this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd level because of the maze of steep stairs.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Staff were decent, place was clean and guest friendly and breakfast included was adequate. Pretty much what I expected, was just in for the night and needed a clean bed. I'd avoid the cheapest rooms as a few dollars more will get you something much better!

Room Tip: The second cheapest room is worth the extra few dollars!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We arrived in Phnom Penh having taken the bus from Saigon. We were disappointed that we were unable to get any response from the hotel about a number of things about our visit before we arrived in Phnom Penh e mails that I sent were ignored.
The bus is very cheap but the journey is very long using very poor roads travelling at slow speeds. The hotel is a short tuk tuk ride from the bus station.
The hotel is very central and from the hotel you can walk to many of the city’s central tourist spots. From our window we could see an ancient temple being built across the road it will be an impressive building when it is finished.
The room was comfortable and the breakfasts were ok. The staff were trying their best on a limited budget, there was a lot of stairs to climb to the room and no lift! Television with the usual channels.
Hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamond Palace II? Share your experiences!