“Great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mekong Imperial Boutique Guesthouse

You added Mekong Imperial Boutique Guesthouse to your Saves list
Mekong Imperial Boutique Guesthouse
339, Sisowath Quay- River Front Area & Royal Palace- Silver Pagoda, Phnom Penh 855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #91 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were very happy with this guesthouse. It was right on the river in the middle of everything. The rooms were very clean and nice, with a great shower.

The staff was very friendly. They run a travel agency downstairs, but didn't try to push anything on us. And when we booked you bus tickets with them they were great and even called our next hotel and got them to pick us up at the bus station.

Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

After making an email inquiry I was informed by the management that there is no window but a door to air the Standard room. Because these rooms are on the back of the building there is no view. I didn't mind this, but to ventilate a room is essential for me.

Unfortunately upon entering the room(1st floor) I encountered a musty smell. There was indeed a door to the outside, however it was blocked by a nightstand. This door was not locked and opened to a balcony that was full of litter (see pics). The opposite building was only one meter away and I could look into several living quarters. Instead of fresh air there were oily smells from the many restaurant kitchens that openend to the small gap between the buildings. I quickly closed the glazed door and noticed that it had no curtain. So much for fresh air and privacy!

I wanted to hang my clothes in the wardrobe but found the left door locked. Staff told me the key was lost. Back in the room I noticed the over-sized TV furniture was partly blocking the wardrobe door. In the cramped room the furniture actually could not be rearranged by one inch. I poked my head between the shelves of the wardrobe and looked into the left compartment that was locked. The rod to hang the clothes was missing! The lost key was just a poor excuse for a wardrobe that wasn't functional. Not even a chair was present to put my clothes on.

Although I was given a WiFi password there was no WiFi service! After complaining to the night-guard he called the manager for an answer. He then showed me a cable that looked like the rats had gnawed on it hoping I would believe this.
One picture on TA posted by the management shows what looks like a neat reception area with PC's for guests. Well, it is no longer there. The entrance is now an untidy travel agency office. Tired as I was I had to go out to find an internet cafe. It was almost closing hour and after trying several computers I found one that was reasonably secure to answer my business emails.

The next morning the manager couldn't promise that the WiFi would be fixed. He said the ISP server had a breakdown. This was a different excuse then the evening before and I am doubting whether they actually have WiFi installed. Or perhaps it did break down some time ago and was not repaired. My impression is that they don't care less about service and maintenance.
Naturally I checked out. They corrected the rate offered in an email ($21.50, when staying three nights). Surprisingly, in spite of the fact basic amenities could not be delivered I was charged more, $25 .

Room Tip: Breakfast is not included in the room rate. I found the breakfasts on offer in the PP restaurants ra...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked 2 nights stay at room with balcony. Due to booking.com (booking system error issue), we only managed to get 1 night stay at room with balcony & 2nd night at standard room with special discounted rate. I love the room with balcony very much as you can sit there and enjoying the scenery of tonle sap river & mekong river, the busy sisowath road, the culture & lifestyle along the river. The hotel just 1-2 mins walk to FCC, the whole street is very safe & happening even during midnight. About 15 mins walk to Nagaworld Casino, along the way to Nagaworld casino, you will discover royal palace on your left. About 15 mins to Phnom Penh Night Market. About 10 mins walk, just behind the hotel is Wat Ounalom. This hotel location really great, just in the center of few attraction places.

Room Tip: Choose the room with balcony, enjoy the great view on sunrise at the mekong & tonle sap river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
LPC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

After our traumatizing experience in one of the hotels we stayed in in Siem Reap, we were really happy about our Standard room accommodation for $20 / night. I don’t like rooms without windows but this one was ok, since it was spacious and it had a king-sized bed. The aircon and water heater worked well.

Not like guesthouses in SG, the rooms here have en-suite bathrooms. 

We were offered water bottles every time we left and every time we came back to the hotel.

Well-located! Great base to explore the city!

Sky, Kunthy and Samnang were very nice to us. Awesome hospitality and service! We’d definitely stay here again. 

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed two nights in January, we booked it last minute so weren't sure what to expect. We arrived at night tired after a (very) long bus joirney to be welcomed with smiling faces, helping us with our bags and promptly checking us in. Downstairs is a travel agent/reception (all run by the hotel) so we arranged for a Tuk Tuk to come pick us up in the morning for the killing fields and S-21 at a great price. Also booked an onward minibus with them at a really competitive rate.

The room was a good size, really nicely decorated and TV with English channels, fridge, kettle, free drinking water, Fan and AC, safe, huge rainfall shower, new (clean!) fitted bathroom and most importantly super soft pillows and bed!!! (rather hard to find in SE Asia)

Overall service was great and every time we came in or went out we were welcomed back with smiles and kindness.

Additionally the location is great- riverfront and right on the doorstep of bars and restaurants.

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed January 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was quite looking forward to staying here after the reviews online. We were picked up from the bus station as promised and taken to the guesthouse. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I loved the fact that we got tea/coffee making facilities, ac, fridge and a decent bathroom. Was slightly gutted that the website said it had a bath and we didn't have one! but a minor detail as the room was clean, bed was comfy and the guesthouse was safe. We would stay here again!

Room Tip: We didn't have a balcony room but I think this was better as it was quieter!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seminole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here three times over the course of a month. The room had a fridge, tv, and air con. We had minor issues such as the drain not working properly, but they fixed it right away. There was construction going on next door which woke us quite early. It wasn't until the third stay that they suggested moving across the hall. That room was nice and quiet. They have a travel agency, also, which was quite useful for booking trips. The location is great, but beware people on motorbikes snatching bags in the open area nearby.

Room Tip: Make sure that you're not on the side of the construciton next door.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mekong Imperial Boutique Guesthouse? Share your experiences!