“A fabulous place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Maison d'Ambre

You added La Maison d'Ambre to your Saves list
La Maison d'Ambre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123, street 110, Preah Ang Duong | corner Street 19, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Ranked #13 of 223 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Copenhagen
“A fabulous place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed in the La Maison d'Ambre about a fortnight ago in a group of eight. We booked two rooms and were delighted to see them so neatly maintained and beautifully furnished. All of us had a nice breakfast at the rooftop restaurant which was a nice experience and the professional service of the staff was indeed commendable. Each of the rooms we booked had a diverse theme with different names, which was simply a unique experience to cherish. Had a great time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

La Maison was a great hotel. The pictures you see on the site of the accommodations are valid. It is really as nice as the pictures. Location is great. A lot of the sightseeing is within walking distance. The entire staff was extremely helpful and very nice especially the manager, Chrisna Buth. He ensured we had everything we needed to make our stay special and most of all memorable. Thanks Crisna and staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I chose this hotel because this hotel was listed as one of the top ten hotels to stay in Phnom Penh in booking.com. We stayed here for 2 nights.

There are so many compliments I want to write about this hotel. I will start with my first day. We reached quite late due to massive traffic jam as one of the main roads was flooded.It is easy for the cab drivers to find this hotel.The outer part of the hotel isn't that great since it is part of the shoplots hence it is located in the middle of a dodgy place. When we arrived, there was a security guard stationed at the entrance and I was extremely surprise with him. He just couldn't stop opening the door for us.If he wasn't near the door and saw us were about to go in or out, he will run, quickly just grabbed the handle of the door,and opened the door for us. So pleasant!

Upon check-in, we were given 2 rooms;a japanese concept room and manhattan room.However,we were informed that both rooms have no bathtub. We showed the description of the room by booking.com where it stated that there is a bathtub in the room. The owner, Dennis, upgraded our rooms with no additional charges. I took the Shanghai Gesture room and my friends took the new york room. We were overwhelmed with the concept of the room. They were magnificent. The staffs were extremely polite and friendly despite they do not have a good command in English.The male staff was so kind to take us for a tour around the hotel after we left our luggages in the rooms. He explained to us about the facilities of the hotel and took us to the rooftop restaurant and bar. We saw the staffs were cleaning up one of the rooms and without any hesitation, he allowed us to take a peep of the said room.

We decided to go for local cuisine for dinner. While waiting for my friends at the lobby, my friend and I were looking through the collection of dvds at the nearby shelves. One of the staffs immediately gave me a flashlight despite I told him that I was just taking a peep. With the flashlight in my hand and brighter view, I chose 2 dvds and left them at the receptionist, to take them later upon my return.

There is a local market (I meant the wet market and dry market,combination of both) along the road.we walked to the waterfront since it was a walking distance, like 10 minutes or so.You can experience the daily routines of the locals. Food, if u like hawkers' food,u will definitely enjoy yourself here. So many hawkers stalls along the road selling noodles, rice, fried chicken, pork ribs, bread etc. The mini mart is just like 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel.

U just need to be careful with the beggars. They will bug u,other than that, u will enjoy your quiet walk.

The decor of the rooftop restaurant is extremely fabulous. The view isn't that magnificent (as I said,it is located in the middle of a dodgy place) but you feel that u are totally in a 5 stars hotel. It was so calm and soothing.

The drinks at the bar were marvelous.You won't get any diluted drinks from here. However,those drinks are a bit pricey but worth of paying for them.

The downside of this hotel is that the room doesn't come with breakfast. They only serve ala carte breakfast and yes,the food are expensive.U need to pay USD4 for scrambble eggs. Since the room comes with kitchen and the hotel provides all the necessary utensils and pots, we cooked our breakfast. Hey, the room has a microwave too!

On our last night, we decided to have our late dinner at the rooftop restaurant. Since the bar closes around 11 or so, the kitchen closes much earlier. I couldn't have my dinner there and I decided to stay on for a drink. Dennis, the owner, a french guy I assume, was so nice to actually bring out olive cakes, baguette and another french dish. They were lovely and delicious. Since the kitchen closed, the food were complimentary from the hotel.

The hotel provides many tv channels, ranging from local tv station to international tv station. Hence, it comes with free wifi here. The room provided such a great comfort to us until we felt that we were at our own home.

Since we were so comfortable with the environment, we nearly wanted to cancel our trip to Sihanoukville. I've been travelling a lot, for business and leisures, and I must say that this is the best hotel I ever stayed eventhough it is not a 5-star hotel.I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I were to come to Phnom Penh again because the hotel,the staffs and the environment are so warm until I felt that I was in my own home. Thanks so much for the greatest hospitalities throughout my stay. What an awesome superb hotel!!!! Kudos!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Where to start... this hotel is awesome. The staff, the advice, the rooms, the restaurant/bar, just awesome.
At around US$120 a night, it is expensive, but you certainly get what you pay for.
We stayed three nights in La Maison, then traveled down to Sihanouk ville. After being rained out there we decided to come back to La Maison for our final night because we enjoyed it so much the first time.
We stayed first in 'New York New York', then one night in 'Manhattan'. Both rooms were fantastic and come highly recommended. They were spotlessly clean, very comfy, and had everything we needed (including a small kitchenette). One word of warning though, this is definitely a romantic couples hotel.
The hotel restaurant & bar was extremely well designed, attracting both guests and walk ins. The bar manager (i forget his name...) was very friendly and really looked after us well. Again, it is expensive, but again, you get what you pay for.

Leaving the best till last, the staff there are second to none. Extremely well trained, highly respectful and very knowledgeable about their country, their history and the locality.
Special mentions go to Yang Virak and to the hotel tuk tuk driver Socheat. Mentioned only because we made sure to get their names, but all the staff deserve a special mention.

Yang paid very close attention to us, making sure we had everything we needed and making sure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the city. He helped us understand the local elections that were taking place and helped recommend places for us to visit.

Socheat looked after us for 2 days. He took us to the killing fields, the museums, some local restaurants, the blood donation center, the airport and the shooting range. He is a great driver and really pays great attention to his passengers. He answered all our questions and made some excellent recommendations.

Also recommended is the river boat trip that they helped organize for us.

Room Tip: New York New York is apartment sized with a balcony and awesome bathroom Manhatten is just as nice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
dcopHongkong, Owner at La Maison d'Ambre, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear sir,

I had a real pleasure reading your review.
We were very pleased to hear your satisfaction as maintaining a high level of service is one of our main objectives.
I will pass on your message to the staff and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again at La Maison D Ambre.

Best Regards

The Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

we spent 2 weekends in phnom Penh during our trip in cambodia.
both times we stayed in La Maison.
we first stayed in casablanca and then discovered India for our second stay. we thought the first was amazing with all the middle eastern touches, but moonsoon wedding was incredible.
from the furniture from Rajasthan to the pictures on the wall, so tastefully decorated..

the whole spirit of the place is packed with design and great details.
the staff was very helpfull.
after your day touring the town, have a cocktail on the loungy terrace and enjoy the sunset on the town. the hotel is ideally located to discover all the sites,
a great romantic getaway in the buzzing center of the town

Room Tip: moosoon wedding is incredible go for it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The "room" is actually a 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms appartement with living room and kitchen. Every room has its own theme (africa, india, NY, Paris, etc..) with tasty deco. Food is great by european standards with restaurant on the top floor terrace. Must Stay!!

Room Tip: loved the African one, but Indian looks great too..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The accommodation is very cosy and ecstatically pleasing. The staff speak reasonably good English. The location of the hotel is probably not in the choicest locality but it is within walking distance to many attractions and food outlets.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Maison d'Ambre? Share your experiences!